Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 386

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 532483 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #2477 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

How much does the writer matter to the music you listen too? Ruins too many songs for me, as wealth is an important metric in that regard.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:08:51 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: December 29, 2012, 11:06:20 am »

I know you're not a spambot but damn that sounds like spambot talk to me. :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:38 am »

Thanks for the reminder. :L.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: December 29, 2012, 11:09:05 am »

Better?
Reading a thinner book

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: December 29, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »

The Who were my Christmas music this year

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 30, 2012, 05:05:43 pm »

Oh hey look a Touhou remix OH GOD WHY IS THIS SO AWESOOOOME.

...seriously, why can't I stop listening? It's mildly absurd. XD

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 30, 2012, 06:00:47 pm »

Some more progressive rock...metal...metal-core? Djent?...anyway, djent-metal-metalcore-something with a female singer, similar to that mashup of Bulb and Paramore's singer I posted a bit back.

Red Handed Denial-And the Winner is...
Red Handed Denial-Violent Delights
Red Handed Denial-A Closed Fist Makes No One Happy

Also a cover of Periphery's cover/remixing of Haunted Shores' originally instrumental track Scarlet by Red Handed Denial's singer Lauren Babic found here. Judging by her channel, she seems to cover a bunch of different songs/genres. She seems pretty cool. I mean, it's not often a female singer does screaming/growling vocals.

I'm afraid I'm actually gonna start enjoying growling/screaming stuff. It's...still not my thing, but at least I don't instantly react Ew, growling and shift songs like I used to.

Also, Red Handed Denial covered Hell Song by Sum 41. Is coo' man.

Lastly, symphonic progressive power metal with oriental themes.
Myrath-Tales of the Sands
Myrath-Beyond the Stars
Myrath-Sour Sigh
Myrath- Requiem of a Goodbye

-snip im a fucking asshole, music is about what you like, not about how it works or how original it is-
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:56:35 pm by DrPoo »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: December 30, 2012, 07:02:52 pm »

Spoiler: "Djent" rant (click to show/hide)

Eh. I'm more of a fan of the instrumentals stuff in "djent." Of course, disregarding the argument "djent can't be a genre, it's a guitar sound, derp" which you didn't bring up, I refer to this as djent because it gets the point across. I could call the style in question, such as instrumental stuff by Bulb, as progressive, but considering it's developed into it's own sort of subbranch with it's own requirements, such as "polyrythyms" or high gain staccato guitar playing or whatever the eff else you could think of, in my opinion it has developed into a genre. Calling it djent is quick, easy, and gets the point across as well.

Yes, there's getting to be lots of "knockoff" bands with "names from a greek dictionary" ....just like there's a bunch of small rock bands, next to unknown rappers trying to make it big like Lil' Wayne and Eminem, (or whatever it is mainstream rap is, I wouldn't know), screaming punk/emo bands with try-hard-rebellious names, etc. In fact, there's tons of metal bands in general. power metal bands tend to have cheesy lyrics and overdone fantasy themes, death metal is all "RGOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" and "brutal", just flat progressive metal like Dream Theater with all their crazy abstract song themes ( I couldn't really summarize any one song's meaning for you clearly by just hearing it once) and all those other sub genres of sub genres of sub genres of metal that have to consist of bands with their own styles that fit those genres.

Like all "over-filled" genres you just have to wade thru the common stuff to find the quality products.

I just like instrumental "djent," or if you'd prefer another name like "technical-progressive-math-metal". Part of it is because I like hearing it and mentally dissecting how it's played on guitar, it's a fun exercise for me. I really dunno how else to "justify" why it appeals to me, it just does. It's, like, cool, man.

Also I believe the 7 or 8 string guitar is used, among other reasons, for the extra range it can provide as well as being able to play "thicker" stronger sounding chords. That doesn't mean it's required for the "genre". The posers who argue otherwise simply because it's what all the popular guys use are just acting like sheep and giving themselves a bad reputation.

Polyrythym-"the simultaneous use of two or more conflicting rhythms, that are not readily perceived as deriving from one another, or as simple manifestations of the same meter" according to wikipedia. If someone isn't interested in music theory or writing their own music then the meaning is easy to lose on them. Nontheless if enough ignorant people throw the word around enough, yes, it becomes a buzzword...just like all slang.
Djent isn't a genre
Well that's, like, your opinion, man.
------------------------------------------------Musiks:
Bulb-Breeze, The Moonstar, Mile Zero, Logical, Epic Fail
Animals as Leaders- On Impulse, the Price of Everything, do Not Go Gently
-------Tosin Abasi, by the way, the head guitarist and songwriter of AaL, certainly knows his shit when it comes to 8-string guitars, and he considers the band to be just progressive, not "djent", if that matters at all. I'd say you don't have to lose all hope in 8-strings being ruined by them "musically-ignorant-djent-poser-kids."
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 30, 2012, 09:42:27 pm »

Oh hey look a Touhou remix OH GOD WHY IS THIS SO AWESOOOOME.

...seriously, why can't I stop listening? It's mildly absurd. XD
Well it is Touhou after all. Like this one.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 05, 2013, 01:08:02 am »

My music tastes are regularly expanded by an old man who knows old things.  If you happen to really like bass guitars, let me introduce you to Frank Marino and the Mahogany Rush, a band that sound an awful lot like every other jazzy rock band from the 1970s but because they never featured in a popular movie soundtrack have been completely forgotten.  Enjoy this eight minute instrumental.

So forgotten have they been that the Internet's various lyric websites don't include them, at most a listing for the band and maybe an album or two but no actual words.  In fact, Mahogany Rush's own website doesn't even have the lyrics for that "Sister Change" song there.

That's right, I'm a fan of a band almost nobody has ever heard of, I can legit call myself a music hipster.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:58 am »

Warning:This is the ending/song for Double Dragon: Neon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLi9QeXCqE
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 386