Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 386

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 528721 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #1065 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:08 pm »

That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:08 am »

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 04, 2011, 02:29:52 am »

Has anyone here linked to any Audiomachine? They do a lot of movie trailer music, such as Hammer of the Gods.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:51 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 04, 2011, 08:38:29 am »

I usually wouldn't post any music in Finnish in international threads, but this one's a pretty darn special piece (and a bit near the end is sung in English, so I can take refuge in the fact that even foreigners will understand something). It was written by the Finnish musician Juice Leskinen when stranded on a railway station at the town of Pieksämäki, and the lyrics describe his attempts to use his imagination to brighten up the hollow station. The song mentions and features performances of several important Finnish music stars from the days of yore, a few of them (including Leskinen himself) already dead. Sadly, this means it'll be impossible to ever fulfil Leskinen's plan of performing the song live on the very railway station the song is about, something that would've certainly been a show to remember.

Enough talk though. The song's a bit over 16 minutes, and I guess it's a bit too long for YouTube, so it's split between two pieces. Part 1 Part 2.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 04, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »

I usually wouldn't post any music in Finnish in international threads, but this one's a pretty darn special piece (and a bit near the end is sung in English, so I can take refuge in the fact that even foreigners will understand something). It was written by the Finnish musician Juice Leskinen when stranded on a railway station at the town of Pieksämäki, and the lyrics describe his attempts to use his imagination to brighten up the hollow station. The song mentions and features performances of several important Finnish music stars from the days of yore, a few of them (including Leskinen himself) already dead. Sadly, this means it'll be impossible to ever fulfil Leskinen's plan of performing the song live on the very railway station the song is about, something that would've certainly been a show to remember.

Enough talk though. The song's a bit over 16 minutes, and I guess it's a bit too long for YouTube, so it's split between two pieces. Part 1 Part 2.

Funny, I've posted Finnish music here before and I'm not even Finnish myself.

Hell, I've even tried learning the language.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:14:31 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:05 pm »

Well, to carry on with the Finland theme, a popular drinking song.

The chorus basically describes the singer's drinking habits. Two words: Dwarven proportions.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #1074 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:11 pm »

The chorus basically describes the singer's drinking habits. Two words: Dwarven proportions.

Finnish language is best language, keep on posting, if they can spam english crap at me, you can spam finnish love <3

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:59 am »

Finnish language is best language, keep on posting, if they can spam english crap at me, you can spam finnish love <3

Ok, two more Finnish pieces for you:

Nälkämaan laulu (Song of the hunger country) is the "regional anthem" of Kainuu in North Finland. That's where my mother's from. Sung here by the Polytechnician Choir. English Wikipedia features a literal translation of the first part of the lyrics:
Hear the whisper of our woods,
the splashing of the mighty lakes.
They are speaking of our reputation,
the fierce rapids and the dismal swamps.

And now for something completely different: a... made-for-TV music video with a fairly... uh... Liberal dose of bluescreen technique. Teuvo, Maanteiden kuningas (Teuvo, the King of the Highways) describes a young lad who wishes to be a famous rally driver, and "practices" for it by driving recklessly. Funny story: We were supposed to sing this in a school concert when I was a kid, despite the fairly detailed description of car accidents (flying through the windshield, vomiting blood, spitting out teeth, death implied), but our teacher forced us to switch the piece because a severe traffic accident (I think it was Finland's worst ever) occurred a few days before the show.

And finally, back to the instrumental music: Champagne Rag is my all-time favorite ragtime piece.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 05, 2011, 02:20:31 am »

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:57 am »

http://imetyouinacampfire.bandcamp.com/releases

That is the most a waltz has ever made me want to waltz.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 05, 2011, 04:03:50 am »

A long time ago friends of mine had a band, toured in Finland, came back, and wrote a song called "Drink to die". Depressing.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 05, 2011, 04:13:52 am »

A long time ago friends of mine had a band, toured in Finland, came back, and wrote a song called "Drink to die". Depressing.

The funny thing about Baarikärpänen is that the song originally satirized heavy alcohol use, but people adopted it as a drinking song. Another Eppu Normaali song, Murheellisten Laulujen Maa (Land of Sad Songs) uses dark humor to satirize the Finnish melancholy, but like Baarikärpänen, many people have adopted it as a symbol of our justified self-pity.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 386