Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need Immigrants  (Read 1712 times)

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need Immigrants
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:35 pm »

It's been a few years since I have gotten any immigrants. Every season it tells me that I have attracted no immagrants. I used to get them in this fort. Yeah, a few dwarves have died terrible deaths during some goblin raids, but thats been about 4 years ago. Most of my dwarves are either happy or ecstatic. Also, I am not getting dwarven caravans either. I am assuming these are related.

My diplomat may have gotten killed, I don't remember. Would that cause the rest of the dwarf civilization to abandon me?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:05:01 pm »

The first two migrant waves are hardcoded, you'll get them regardless.

Check your civilization. It might be extinct. I mean that would explain the missing caravans AND the missing immigrants.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:16 pm »

It says the dwarven civ has no important leaders... I don't want to guess what that means.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:30:51 pm »

Yup.
Legacy of Insightshields

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

Means they're extinct. You could try replacing [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] with [LITTERSIZE:5:10] in the dwarves raws and change the child and bodysize tags to make them superfast maturing and breed away the problem.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:37:58 pm »

Besides editing the raws, i guess my only option is to generate a new world?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

Legacy of Insightshields

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »

I decided to give my meager military the ultimate test. They didn't do so well... At least their going out with a blast.

Too bad, this was one of my best forts.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:57:49 pm »

LOL... last 2 alive are chained up in the dungeon awaiting their fate.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »

If you have [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags on dwarves (only needed during worldgen, remove the [PET] tag during play) then you can buy extra dwarves as pets ("tame" peasants) at embark, and order caged dwarves from the dwarven caravan (which have professions like immigrants, oddly enough, but sometimes run away off-map when uncaged, others seemed to stay randomly), and probably buy them from the other caravans too. This would give a source of dwarves even if the main civ died out. (adding [TRAINABLE] gives you wardwarves and hunting dwarves, but they're slightly buggy and you can only change their labours with Dwarf Therapist)

My latest world, the only pack animal / domestic pet is the Dwarf, and I had two extra dwarves on embark, instead of wagon-pullers. I'm taking a break, but I'm hoping to see the elves turn up with Dwarven baggage carriers.

btw, in my last fort, I'm getting no caravans or immigrants for years, but lots of big sieges. I wasn't sure, but reading this I guess the Goblins wiped out the Dwarves, Humans, Elves, and Gnomes (my additional race I modded in so I get a caravan in winter).

The last caravan the Elves sent was remarkably small/cheap, and I wondered why, since I have trade goods coming out of my ears, and I give a generous margin to encourage more stuff. Could they have been on their 'last legs' and about to be destroyed, so this affected the amount they could trade??
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:28:32 pm by Reelyanoob »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »

Or you could just use More Embark Dwarves and start out with them that. This also lets you set their skills, if you're prepared to pay for them. I used the hex editing instructions to make my own 30 dorf embark for 0.31.25 and it's pretty groovy. The 255 one is fun, too, until the swarm devours all the drink and have gathered all the plants on the map. I use that for testing caste ratios, though. It'd certainly be a unique challenge trying to get a settlement together with that many at the start.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:59 pm »

That does sound like fun. But I think doing something like that is what got me into this mess in the first place. I was testing some of the apps in the lazy noob pack and I may have accidently deleted a couple civs... :-[

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29:39 am »

If you have [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags on dwarves (only needed during worldgen, remove the [PET] tag during play) then you can buy extra dwarves as pets ("tame" peasants) at embark, and order caged dwarves from the dwarven caravan

Hilarious. Dwarven slavery.
Never pet a burning dog.

jonny211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:11 am »

I'm in the same boat, no immigrants, no important leaders and if I have to rely on breeding it'll take decades before I reach the point where I'll see sieges. When I generated the world I upped the mimimum number of civs a bit, could this be why the dwarves have died out or should I up it again when I generate a new world?

Am going to generate anothoe one anyway, just after I let a couple of FB's in though... just for fun!

Jon

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 05:10:52 am »

The 255 one is fun, too, until the swarm devours all the drink and have gathered all the plants on the map. I use that for testing caste ratios, though. It'd certainly be a unique challenge trying to get a settlement together with that many at the start.
Well I embarked with an extra 200 when testing the [PET] mod i mentioned, i upped the embark points in worldgen a "bit" though (1 billion points), this wasn't a serious play through though. I don't think there's a limit on how many "pets" you can embark with, so the raw mod allows even higher starting numbers, eg 1200+

I'd guess for 255 dwarves you could bring 2 meat each (1020 points), 50 plump helmet seeds, because they grow the fastest (+50, 1070 point so far), anvil,1 copper nugget,1 rock (+109, 1179 points),  or just forget the anvil/rock/copper and bring 2 copper picks (88 points, 1158 total). This leaves very little points for training though (116), so 1 Miner, 1 Herbalist, 1 Farmer. Actually scratch the herbalist for a second Proficient Farmer, and the left-over 11 points for an adequate herbalist. For everything else, i have 250 dwarves to throw at the jobs.

Or scatch the above, try with only 1 meat each, and 17 dwarves with Proficient skills
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:12:44 am by Reelyanoob »
Pages: [1] 2