Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 38349 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2016, 10:32:55 pm »

Black Mirror is seriously good stuff.  First episode of Season 3 is visionary.  I expect I'll be referencing it often for a long time to come.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:03 pm »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

The Beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't look up
« Reply #212 on: November 06, 2016, 03:54:35 am »

Warning: Not for human consumption, if symptoms persist rinse with water and consult a doctor if it lasts longer than three hours

Dnepropetrovsk maniacs aka Three guys one hammer. A few 19 (at the time) Ukrainian psychopaths video their escapades and disgusting sadistic behaviour.
Don't watch it!
They got caught for 21 murders and animal abuse.
True horror is the dark embers of humanity that lurk within all of us.
Feed the embers and a fire is formed

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 06, 2016, 05:23:52 am »

I thought this is horror thread, not gore thread, why do we keep getting gore.  ::)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 06, 2016, 08:18:32 am »

Probably because gore and spookiness are closely related in most people's minds. For good reason too, gore can be pretty bloody scary.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2016, 11:51:03 am »

Meh... gore doesn't do much for me, unless it's handled a certain way, or has to do with specific body parts.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »

Its more about the horror of injury, knowing you're now going to die, slowly and painfully, and that nobody is there to comfort you. Its not really something most of us can empathize with, we havent experienced it (yet) but regardless we try, while watching our favorite character's final moments.

Or something like that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2016, 02:54:21 pm »

Maybe... but I've always registered that as more sadness at the loss of a character.  Not the same as horror for me.

For gore / injury to elicit horror, it has to be portrayed slowly and in detail, with lots of anticipation.  Helps if it's a sensitive area.  Like a needle slowly approaching an eye or something.  And it has absolutely nothing to do with severity of injury.  Watching spikes shoved under Stick's fingernails in Daredevil was 1000x more horrific for me than something like an arm getting chopped off in a fight or something.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2016, 03:02:59 pm »

So, uh, anyone watched American Horror Story?
The show has its faults, but one of its seasons contained what probably has to be the single most shocking gore moment I've ever seen, in fiction at least if not ever. Not just for the gore itself, but the situation surrounding it and... well, saying any more would probably give away too much. It was both heart- and gut-wrenching, that's all I'll say.

Oh, there was also a moment in The Wire that I had fucking flashbacks to whilst trying to sleep for a few nights afterwards, but that was less for the gore and more for the loss of a character who'd been around for ages. That show was really good at that sort of thing... my friend and I never did get around to watching the rest of the last season.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2016, 03:18:51 pm »

Probably because gore and spookiness are closely related in most people's minds. For good reason too, gore can be pretty bloody scary.
Maybe it's because I've tagged along with my mom's colleagues in the morgue a lot as a child, so gore isn't scary to me, it's just disgusting.

Body horror, on the other hand...
The idea of a fate worse than death, where you're twisted into something that was never meant to be.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »

Yeah, the most terrifying things for me have always been situations of extreme suffering, especially situations where you're not allowed to die.  I don't really enjoy visiting the AndIMustScream page on Tvtropes.

Being buried alive is probably the most terrifying way I can think of dying IRL because you're basically slow roasting in your fear and panic and desperation and helplessness, plus asphyxiation would take fucking forever from one's point of view. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

On the topic of games:

PT is by far the scariest game I have ever played. I laughed my way through outlast. I found amnesia somewhat scary.

But holy fuck does PT give me the creeps.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2016, 07:15:12 pm »

PT?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

The Beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
P.T
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2016, 07:26:02 pm »

You claim to have the internet but it seems you are using it wrong.
P.T is a playable teaser, this specific teaser is a silent hill one because they decided to shit can the new game.

While im posting about games, the water temple OOC, the new Theif ip in the psych ward level when you look through the key holes, fwaar that one got me good. Other than that the game is terrible and had memory leaks witch makes the whole thing scary

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2016, 07:28:39 pm »

PT was a sort of demo for Silent Hills. Unfortunately, since the game was cancelled, the only way to experience PT (I know of, anyway) is watching a Let's Play. I thought it was pretty cool though.

Sorta ninja'd
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20