Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 38359 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:48 am »

You might want to check out www.creepypastaindex.com too.
*Hugs*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2011, 05:19:59 am »

Ok.  Slight de-rail out of curiousity.  Does anyone here actually believe in anything supernatural?  Had any experiences?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:49 am »

God damn you people. Now I'm archive-binging the SCP series. I'm going to be stuck for like a year. :(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

<shameless plug>

Hey, I'm doing Asian horror films tomorrow night (and pretty much the whole month of October):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91323.msg2694311#new

</shameless plug>

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:10 pm »

This one. Mostly because the trapped feeling.: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cabin_and_the_Dolls

This is one of the first ones I read, and it's stuck with me too.  It's really not that good.  It's a massive collection of cliches.  But the imagery is presented just right, and like you said... the trapped feeling.  It isn't one that really gets under my skin, but it was oddly fun to read.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:56 pm »

Agreed. The only ones that annoy the crap out of me are all the "whatever.avi," particular all the "insertcharactersuicide.avi." The concept's been done to death and frankly it's just narm to me now. I quite like the ones that don't really have a punchline or anything like that. ^^^

EDIT: Like this one.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:56:29 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:40 pm »

This is one is frighteningly believable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »

I'll be honest: even though I don't really get it, I Found A Digital Camera In The Woods intrigues me. I keep wondering what I'm supposed to be seeing in the photographs.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2011, 04:18:47 pm »

Another one that I liked.  It's creepy but wondrous at the same time -- a very creative manifestation of the concept of fate.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

Ok.  Slight de-rail out of curiousity.  Does anyone here actually believe in anything supernatural?  Had any experiences?
I was kinda hoping someone would answer this, because ghost stories are fun, and my answer is boring: nope.

I know some people who get excited about "orbs" in photos, which is kind of depressing. I should show them some of my cave photos... Wall to wall orbs. No really, orb city. We're talking at least 20-30 dspm^3 (disembodied spirits per cubic metre) here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:54 pm »

I'll be honest: even though I don't really get it, I Found A Digital Camera In The Woods intrigues me. I keep wondering what I'm supposed to be seeing in the photographs.

If you look closely at Pshot25.jpg, on the left-hand side there appears to be a roof-mounted mirror strip, and there's...something humanoid in it. Based on the progression of photos, the camera owner found this strange observation tower in the fog, began climbing up and at the top found whatever that thing is. The next couple have motion blur, implying running while taking the picture (why would you be taking pictures as you're running for your life?). Last one seems to imply that they either just dropped the camera while running, or the Thing got them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »

Hmm, I never saw that before. The impression I'd had before you mentioned it was that they had, for some reason, climbed the observation tower and fallen to their death, and that the creepy part was that the person who found the camera never found a body. Thanks. ^^^

EDIT: To further explain, I'd assumed the rest of the pictures were taken by the camera being set on auto or something and going off as it fell. ^^^;
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:40:28 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »

I don't have anything too striking personally, but I know some people who have seen some things.  I was kind of hoping someone else would take the plunge first.  It's fun to talk about this stuff, but often on large boards like this you'll get people trying to pick things apart with condescending attitudes.  I totally understand skepticism, so long as people aren't mean about it.  All of the following is 100% true, but I don't take it too seriously.  I don't try to prove or disprove anything, I just like trading stories.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got some other minor ones and more questionable ones, but those are the most interesting stories I have to share.  Fortunately, most of it isn't stuff that I've directly experienced on my own.  While the subject fascinates me, I still like that it's never been one I have to take too seriously.

How could I forget the scariest story ever!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:46:50 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »

lol. That's cute. :3 As for the supernatural, I can't say that I'm a believer but I don't necessarily disbelieve either. I think all the crap on TV like Ghost Hunters is fake, of course, that goes without saying. Simply put if nothing paranormal happens to me by the time I'm fifty I'll be like 'meh it ain't real' but I'm willing to give it a fair shake until then.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »

My mom's been involved in some things as well.  She had an experience with a Ouija board in her teen years, where her friend's eyes turned black and she began speaking in tongues.  She's also had a few prophetic dreams.  They've all been minor things, where she would suddenly realize "wait I've seen this before.... X is about to happen" and it was true.  One was special, though.  It was a very vivid dream that occurred on a date she wouldn't understand the importance of until much later...

When my dad took her home to meet his family for the first time.  They had all sat down to eat supper.  Her, my dad, his brother, and his mom.

My mom asked "So where's your dad?"

... awkward silence

Brother "Didn't he tell you?  Dad died a few years ago."

... realization dawns on my mom

"Wait... did he die on that couch?" *points to living room*

"Umm... yes"

"Did he look like *insert description*"

"Umm... yes"

"Did he die on ___ date?"

"....... yes"

Yeah, apparently she dreamed of her future father-in-law laying down and dying in vivid, accurate detail on the same night that it happened.
Quote from: Robert Todd Carrol
Say the odds are a million to one that when a person has a dream of an airplane crash, there is an airplane crash the next day. With 6 billion people having an average of 250 dream themes each per night, there should be about 30,000 to 1.5 million people a day who have dreams that seem clairvoyant. The number is actually likely to be larger, since we tend to dream about things that legitimately concern or worry us, and the data of dreams is usually vague or ambiguous, allowing a wide range of events to count as fulfilling our dreams.

I've had some less-impressive "prophetic dreams" myself. For example, I once had a rather vivid dream of one of my friends almost getting run down by a firetruck. When I told her about in passing it a few days later, all the color drained from her face as she told me that she was, in fact, almost run over by a firetruck a few days ago. It's just statistics, man. Hell, I've gotten dreams of almost everyone I know having killed me through various conventional means many a time. Statistically, my close family and friends are indeed the most likely candidates to try and kill me. That doesn't mean that if they do I was being warned by some supernatural sense all these years.

But even dream prophecy stories as detailed as your mother's aren't all that uncommon. In fact, extrapolating on the quote I gave above, it may not be that statistically unlikely that you were or are going to be thinking about someone, or even having an uneasy feeling about them, at the exact moment of their death.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:39:50 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20