Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 36954 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:47 am »

Huh. I did not even think of magicness. I just thought since, you know, there were thousands of inputs up only a couple of outputs. My mind went straight to cannibalism.

Think of the tunnels slowly growing nearer to eachother and squishing you together. What else would you be able to do?

I dunno. I have trouble imagining the tunnels converging, let alone the people having the...mobility required for cannibalism.
It never really occured to me that there were fewer outputs than inputs, but my first assumption would be that perhaps some of the tunnels, er... ran their course sooner than others.

Also, I didn't really mean it in the way of magic so much as plothole. It's just that there were no supernatural explanations given for any of it, which for some reason made it seem more plausible.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2011, 05:01:27 pm »

Back from the weekend.

I found "The Road" scary.

I've only watched the movie, with the understanding that the book is worse.  A couple moments were horrifying (such the discovery beneath the cannibal's home), but in general it was just extremely sobering.  They really didn't leave you with any hope in the end.

Sometimes, simple things can be creepy as well.

Quote from: The World's Shortest Horror Story
The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a knock upon the door.

That is rather genius.  It's not exactly horrifying in itself, but it evokes powerful speculation and interest with much potential for horror.  The 'lock on the door' variant is just as good.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:35 pm »

Here's a spooky little comic:

http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

I am sorry, but I can not be afraid of something where the big  ‘shocking’ ‘reveal’ says Dur dur dur.

Although the implications of how he survived months without food or water is pretty interesting.

For some reason I never got the impression that they were still alive at the end...just horribly twisted corpses sliding out.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »

Here's a spooky little comic:

http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

I am sorry, but I can not be afraid of something where the big  ‘shocking’ ‘reveal’ says Dur dur dur.

Although the implications of how he survived months without food or water is pretty interesting.

For some reason I never got the impression that they were still alive at the end...just horribly twisted corpses sliding out.

I was going to say the same thing, it did say that it was a form of execution. Although that may refer to after, I really don't know.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:30 am »

Did I suggest "In the Mouth of Madness" already?

NVM yes I did
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

How about The Prestige?  That one felt very much like a horror movie to me, but so far no one I know has agreed with me on that.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:40 am »

I was going to say the same thing, it did say that it was a form of execution. Although that may refer to after, I really don't know.

It was groaning.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2011, 02:24:17 am »

How about The Prestige?  That one felt very much like a horror movie to me, but so far no one I know has agreed with me on that.
I'll be the first one to agree with everybody else you know. ;)
Seriously speaking, while the implications of some of the revelations might've been disturbing on a moral level, these were hardly fear-evoking.

It was groaning.
I'm rather more inclined to read that as a sound of months-old carcass being sqeezed through tiny holes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 02:37:14 am »

I'll be the first one to agree with everybody else you know. ;)
Seriously speaking, while the implications of some of the revelations might've been disturbing on a moral level

This is what constitutes genuine horror for me.  Madness, obsession, loss of identity, etc definitely do it for me when done right.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:13 am »

Heh, you must've been scared shitless watching Black Swan, then.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:48 am »

Heh, you must've been scared shitless watching Black Swan, then.

Haven't seen that yet, but I'm now encouraged to do so.

Horror for me usually comes from empathizing with a broken or emotionally overwhelmed mental state.

Perfect Blue is a great example of the former.  None of the death or stalker paranoia or anything in that film bothered me.  It was the mental breakdown of the main character.

Memento is a great example of the latter.  Mentally resetting to the moment just after your wife's violent death every few minutes for the rest of your life is a pretty horrifying state of existence to imagine.

They don't creep me out or make me dread to be alone at night.  Only a few works have ever done this for me, and Ju-On is the only one to ever do so really well.  I suppose disturb is a better term... but being disturbed just has a deeper impact to me than being creeped out.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »

So I saw Black Swan a few nights ago and had some time to mull it over.  It doesn't feel like horror to me.  It was disturbing, due to the visceral elements and general tension being so well executed.  It just didn't leave me with anything otherwise.  In the end, I didn't know what to believe I had just seen.  It was really just "girl has problems."

Spoiler: various spoilers (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2011, 12:52:09 am »

What, no Doctor Who?

"Blink" messed a lot of people up (but it's way overhyped, so maybe you shouldn't bother by now).  "Silence in the Library" was excellent.  "The Impossible Planet" really screwed with me, at least the first half of it.  A lot of Doctor Who is campy, but that just means that the honestly scary ones that come out of nowhere really nail you.
Personally, I've found "Midnight" to be the scariest one.
I haven't seen every single Dr. Who episode, the scariest (and my personal favorite) episode was the one in WWII London with the kid in the gas mask saying "Mommy?"
Jesus Christ, that episode creeps me the fuck out.
It was in a recent season with Rose, and he was bald, and a cheeky bastard.
However, I am under the impression that he was a cheeky bastard in all of them.

Also, just watched The Thing (the 1980's version), and I can't say it was that great. It would have been better if everyone freaked out more than just "Oh wow, that dog just turned into some kind of mutated flesh horror thing. Oh well, flamethrower!"
Like people actually went insane from that. I probably would. Well... I would go more insane. And no, Blair being strange and hitting things with axes does not count as insane, because he still
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:43:16 am by NewsMuffin »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2011, 11:12:52 pm »

You didn't think their reactions during the blood test scene involved enough freaking out?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2011, 12:29:45 am »

The blood test was the best part in the whole movie/
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20