Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 36961 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2011, 01:52:16 am »

Agree.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2011, 02:06:50 am »

I still wonder about The Thing, in that it's never clear if Things are aware of their status as Things untill they get outed.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2011, 03:39:31 am »

I love the cheesy computer simulation. It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Now, when I think about it, I can only see the cheesiness, which seems to be suggesting that my high regard for The Thing is mostly nostalgia-driven.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:27 pm »

I first saw it in 2009, and some of the scenes terrified me.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2011, 07:14:38 am »

"Flowers for Algernon", or rather the second half of the story. It's a perfect window into what I think it would be like to have a degenerative neurological condition like Alzheimer's or dementia, and to be cognizant enough that you know you're losing your intellect and you can't stop it. That shit scares the f**k out of me, because it's a very real-life threat, and one of those things that's a personal nightmare of mine.

The other things is the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. The stories aren't that scary, ranging from humorous to campfire ghost stories to urban legends, with a few genuinely disturbing tidbits mixed in. But the illustrations...ye gods, the illustrations....those things burned holes in my brain when I read it in elementary school. And it should be stressed -- these are children's books.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

I started reading The Road today, and uh....holy fucking shit is this the most depressing thing I've ever read. I'm not even a quarter through it and it's reaching Warhammer 40k levels of depressing! And with none of the awesome! Everything is grey! It also feels somwhat like Fallout if Fallout were a book and less funny. Given that The Road was written in 2006, this may be a justified feeling on my part.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:45:29 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:20 am »

The other things is the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. The stories aren't that scary, ranging from humorous to campfire ghost stories to urban legends, with a few genuinely disturbing tidbits mixed in. But the illustrations...ye gods, the illustrations....those things burned holes in my brain when I read it in elementary school. And it should be stressed -- these are children's books.
Ugh, dear me. It's like putting H.R.Giger's or Beksinski's illustrations in a book for kids. A troubled childhood and a lifetime of morbid fascination guaranteed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2011, 10:43:46 am »

Ugh, dear me. It's like putting H.R.Giger's or Beksinski's illustrations in a book for kids. A troubled childhood and a lifetime of morbid fascination guaranteed.
No shit. They *still* affect me. When the Google result page came up, there was a part of me trying to avert my eyes.

Some of the poems and songs were the most disturbing, either because they're so cheery-seeming or slightly demented.

Spoiler: Example 1 (a song) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example 2 (a poem) (click to show/hide)

Both of those, like most all of the stories, are taken from earlier works and folklore (the song was recorded in Brooklyn in the 1940s and the tune is well-recognized in cartoons as being a "spooky" music, and the poem was first published in 1975). But there's still something disturbing about them, and the accompanying NightmareFuel artwork kinda furthered that. Some of the illustrations are seriously HighOctaneNightmareFuel.

Incidentally, thanks for the name-drop. I'd never heard of Beksinski and after a quick Google, I'm intrigued. Love Giger's stuff and this looks promising as well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:46:31 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »

Beksinski is the person (at least partially, heh) responsible for my twisted mind, just as S.Gammell appears to be for yours. ;) Luckily(or sadly?), I only discovered him when I was already an adolescent. I'd be probably twice as weird had it happened earlier.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2011, 04:27:13 pm »

"Flowers for Algernon", or rather the second half of the story. It's a perfect window into what I think it would be like to have a degenerative neurological condition like Alzheimer's or dementia, and to be cognizant enough that you know you're losing your intellect and you can't stop it. That shit scares the f**k out of me, because it's a very real-life threat, and one of those things that's a personal nightmare of mine.

Something I'm almost guaranteed to be faced with eventually.  All the men on both sides of my family are either killed in adulthood by stress-induced illness or live in great physical health well into their late 80s/early 90s but with crippling alzheimers setting in somewhere in the early 70s.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:32 am »

I still wonder about The Thing, in that it's never clear if Things are aware of their status as Things untill they get outed.

Maybe they were just disguising themselves until they didn't have to?

I love the cheesy computer simulation. It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Now, when I think about it, I can only see the cheesiness, which seems to be suggesting that my high regard for The Thing is mostly nostalgia-driven.

I didn't know they even used computer animation in the Thing.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:49 am »

In the novel it wasn't very clear to what extent the infectees knew they were not human anymore. In fact, the guy who came up with the base concept as to how to tell the humans from the alien was an alien.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »

I didn't know they even used computer animation in the Thing.
Oh, I meant the simulation one of the scientists runs on his computer in the movie. The silly thing with purple blobs of pixelated "cells" eating the blue ones or something. He watches this animation, that he coded himself, with that extremally worried expression on his face, as if seeing exactly what he programmed gave him some profound insight into the whole thing(i.e.Thing).
I mean, he was like if he had written <print "hello world">, and then went all "Holy crap this is some powerful shit I made".

So that's what I meant, and not the monster effects which were most probably all animatronic.

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »

Oh, I meant the simulation one of the scientists runs on his computer in the movie. The silly thing with purple blobs of pixelated "cells" eating the blue ones or something. He watches this animation, that he coded himself, with that extremally worried expression on his face, as if seeing exactly what he programmed gave him some profound insight into the whole thing(i.e.Thing).
I mean, he was like if he had written <print "hello world">, and then went all "Holy crap this is some powerful shit I made".

So that's what I meant, and not the monster effects which were most probably all animatronic.

Oh, okay. I guess it makes sense that you would find it weird.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »

Oh man... I have a boxed set of 3 of those... somewhere... thank you for bringing me back a piece of my childhood. I must find them...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20