Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do elves accept?  (Read 726 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
What do elves accept?
« on: April 16, 2011, 01:26:24 pm »

I was thinking that the things I catch that are both untameable and too risky to let into the pit, i'd just pawn off to the elves.

However, that raised a concern... What kind of cages will they accept? Will they accept glass?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do elves accept?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:29:24 pm »

They should accept glass. just dont try to give them any wood or animal products.

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »

I don't think they'll take clear or crystal glass, since you have to use pearlash to make them, which is derived from wood. They will take green glass, though - at least, I've been selling them green glass vials with golden salve in them.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:42:28 pm »

Wood, wooden items, and wood products (ash, charcoal, and ash derivatives like clear glass) piss off the elves. Most other things are fine.

I've sold them thousands of dorfbucks' worth of masterwork stone figurines of an elf getting killed by a yeti.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:49:23 pm »

I was thinking that the things I catch that are both untameable and too risky to let into the pit, i'd just pawn off to the elves.

However, that raised a concern... What kind of cages will they accept? Will they accept glass?

How do you sell creatures to the Elves? As far as I know, if you try to sell them an occupied cage, the creature inside the cage is automatically released, and immediately goes berserk inside your fort.

... I suppose it would have been more humorous to let you find this out for yourself...
Never pet a burning dog.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »

Well then how the heck do I get rid of theives and such that I catch in a cage?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:13:40 pm »

Well then how the heck do I get rid of theives and such that I catch in a cage?

Dig out a "Gladitorial Arena". Build the cage in the Arena ('b' - 'j' - 'x' - select the cage - Enter). Once all the cages are built, bulk-dump them all ('d' - 'b' - 'd'). That will tell your Dwarves to strip the prisoners of weapons and armor (without letting them out of the cages). You'll need a garbage zone designated somewhere, to toss the junk into ('i' - Enter - Enter - 'g'). After the prisoners are stripped, un-dump the cages themselves ('d' - 'b' - 'D'). Hook them all up to levers... the levers themselves can be in a different room. I usually hook three or four cages to each lever.

Then send your military Dwarves into the room. Lock them in. Have somebody start pulling levers, releasing the unarmed and unarmored prisoners for your miitary Dwarves to slaughter. They get good combat experience from it... faster skill-advancement than training.
Never pet a burning dog.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:37:02 pm »

I just stockpile the cages above the pit, have the melee guys up there to kill any escapers, and pit them straight from the stockpile. Downstairs, I have a shooting range (Marksdwarves behind fortifications).

This saves the effort of building cages and linking levers, and trains all my guys. The marksdwarves get the most training though.

You have to dump a little different when the cage is not built, d-b-d, then mark all cages, then 'k' and click 'd' on each cage so the cages themselves are not dumped.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:01:54 pm by Reelyanoob »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:38:05 pm »

What do elves accept?

Visa, Mastercard, Axe-to-the-face.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »

Imports: Petty Annoyance
Exports: Death

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:43:16 pm »

Elves do not accept anything made from or decorated with any type of wood, charcoal, ash, potash, pearlash, lye, clear glass, crystal glass, or soap.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 01:10:52 am »

I just stockpile the cages above the pit, have the melee guys up there to kill any escapers, and pit them straight from the stockpile.

I like this a pit with a one tile wide walkway with cages stockpiled on each tile.  Then have them pitted into the gladiator arena below. I can have my axedorfs in the arena with the door locked. just drop in the gobbos and watch the carnage.