Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP ore stockpiles & goblin cages (with pic's)  (Read 1766 times)

Bart0vds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
HELP ore stockpiles & goblin cages (with pic's)
« on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:48 am »

hey df forum, i have a question about mining and my medal industry. i need some metal armour/weapons for my military so i decided i should start mining for ores. but when i started mining i didn't know what i was looking for, when i found out from the wiki that stuff like hematite and tethrahedite are important. now here is my question: how do i make sure my dwarfes haul all the ore/stone that is capable of becoming iron/copper to my stockpile and seperate it from the useless stone that can't be smelted??? ((i tried setting up a stockpile with only some stone types selected but for some reason they didn't start hauling at all)) this is how it looks: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/6839/tetrahedrite.jpg

also for some reason my goblin cages don't get moved to my animal stockpile?? (i unforbid everthing),i also tried moving them somewhere else to kill them to get my military some xp,but then i noticed that they also wouldn't haul the empty cages this is how it looks: http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9755/gobocages.jpg

i hope i provided enough information, any help would be appreciated

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELP ore stockpiles & goblin cages (with pic's)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:15:50 am »

With the ores... if you want them to haul the ores themselves, you don't want the stockpile to take bars/blocks, you want it to take the stones. So make a stone stockpile, then remove the non-metal ones. The bars/blocks are the smelted products after the ore has been smelted in the furnace, which are then used in the weapons/furniture/etc.

With the goblin cages... make sure you take the dump designation off them, after you strip the gobbies?

Bart0vds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:05:08 am »

With the ores... if you want them to haul the ores themselves, you don't want the stockpile to take bars/blocks, you want it to take the stones. So make a stone stockpile, then remove the non-metal ones. The bars/blocks are the smelted products after the ore has been smelted in the furnace, which are then used in the weapons/furniture/etc.

With the goblin cages... make sure you take the dump designation off them, after you strip the gobbies?

thanks for the help :D i feel so stupid about the stockpile thing now, the cages still confuse me tough.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:24 pm »

Stormfeather gave u the basics on the stockpiles. "Stone" (subset "metal") is the input for smelting and "Bar"s are the output. I think the best advice is to try and use a specific forge for a specific metal, whenever practical, and have a very small stockpile for the input (i like 2x3), restricted to ONLY that type of ore. I have a bigger Bars stockpile set to take only metal bars (plus coke and charcoal bars). If you don't restrict the bars stockpile near the forges, haulers waste time and space filling it with all sorts of things like stone blocks and bars of soap.

Did you 'b'uild the cages to get them there. If so, use 'q' on them, then 'x' to remove. They'll be moved to an animal stockpile which has 'empty cages' allowed. I make a stockpile JUST for empty cages, near the trap area, and disallow empties on every other animal pile.

My favourite method for dealing with caged Goblins is pretty standard, you know most of this already I think but i'll lay it out anyway.

I have a Goblin-only Animal stockpile, with hatches over a pit, basically as shown below, but bigger, the idea is that each goblin cage is next to a hatch, and this way they're dragged straight from the cage trap to the pitting area with no building or levers required. Channel the holes first, before creating the stockpile, then define the pit to cover at least all the holes, and add hatches to the holes. Important : ensure this is the only stockpile which accepts Goblins. If you hit page-up about 5 times in the list of possible caged animals, you find the Goblins entry, btw.
Code: [Select]
GGGGGG G=goblin cage stockpile square
GHGGHG H=basic hatch
GGGGGG
GGGGGG
GHGGHG
GGGGGG
BTW, NEVER skimp on the pit hatches, I did and regretted it, as half my dorfs got scared and trapped themselves on the pitting level, while I waited in vain for my 8 marksdwarves to finish off maybe 80+ pitted Goblins out of 140 total (this was two or three sieges worth of Goblins, i was starting to have a wood & cage shortage, frequent sieges, and was in a hurry). I only avoid mass-starvation / dehydration by creating squads out of off ALL my 160 dwarves, and ordering them downstairs, then putting an alert on and ensuring that the pitting level was a no-go zone. Result of being in a hurry : A huge waste of time.

I do the d-b-d thing to mark all cages for dumping, then use the 'k' cursor and click 'd' on each cage so as not to dump the cage itself.

Then, I station close-combat troops in the middle of the cages, and below there's the pit, with at least 1 wall made of fortifications, and marksdwarves lined up to shoot any pitted Goblins (they have to be in a thin tunnel next to the fortifications, or use traffic designations to encourage them to stay near it, otherwise they don't shoot).

Once all items are dumped from the cages, and the troops ready, I order all Goblins pitted. The melee troops kill anything which escapes, and the marksdwarves kill the pitted ones at their leisure (can take a while). The cage stockpile above the pit only accepts Goblins, so once they are pitted, a dorf automatically hauls each empty cage to my empties pile.

I find this system to the the quickest and best of all i've tried, and it's good for training troops too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:52:08 pm by Reelyanoob »

Bart0vds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:11 am »

Stormfeather gave u the basics on the stockpiles. "Stone" (subset "metal") is the input for smelting and "Bar"s are the output. I think the best advice is to try and use a specific forge for a specific metal, whenever practical, and have a very small stockpile for the input (i like 2x3), restricted to ONLY that type of ore. I have a bigger Bars stockpile set to take only metal bars (plus coke and charcoal bars). If you don't restrict the bars stockpile near the forges, haulers waste time and space filling it with all sorts of things like stone blocks and bars of soap.

Did you 'b'uild the cages to get them there. If so, use 'q' on them, then 'x' to remove. They'll be moved to an animal stockpile which has 'empty cages' allowed. I make a stockpile JUST for empty cages, near the trap area, and disallow empties on every other animal pile.

My favourite method for dealing with caged Goblins is pretty standard, you know most of this already I think but i'll lay it out anyway.

I have a Goblin-only Animal stockpile, with hatches over a pit, basically as shown below, but bigger, the idea is that each goblin cage is next to a hatch, and this way they're dragged straight from the cage trap to the pitting area with no building or levers required. Channel the holes first, before creating the stockpile, then define the pit to cover at least all the holes, and add hatches to the holes. Important : ensure this is the only stockpile which accepts Goblins. If you hit page-up about 5 times in the list of possible caged animals, you find the Goblins entry, btw.
GHGGHG H=basic hatch
GGGGGG
GGGGGG
GHGGHG
GGGGGG
BTW, NEVER skimp on the pit hatches, I did and regretted it, as half my dorfs got scared and trapped themselves on the pitting level, while I waited in vain for my 8 marksdwarves to finish off maybe 80+ pitted Goblins out of 140 total (this was two or three sieges worth of Goblins, i was starting to have a wood & cage shortage, frequent sieges, and was in a hurry). I only avoid mass-starvation / dehydration by creating squads out of off ALL my 160 dwarves, and ordering them downstairs, then putting an alert on and ensuring that the pitting level was a no-go zone. Result of being in a hurry : A huge waste of time.

I do the d-b-d thing to mark all cages for dumping, then use the 'k' cursor and click 'd' on each cage so as not to dump the cage itself.

Then, I station close-combat troops in the middle of the cages, and below there's the pit, with at least 1 wall made of fortifications, and marksdwarves lined up to shoot any pitted Goblins (they have to be in a thin tunnel next to the fortifications, or use traffic designations to encourage them to stay near it, otherwise they don't shoot).

Once all items are dumped from the cages, and the troops ready, I order all Goblins pitted. The melee troops kill anything which escapes, and the marksdwarves kill the pitted ones at their leisure (can take a while). The cage stockpile above the pit only accepts Goblins, so once they are pitted, a dorf automatically hauls each empty cage to my empties pile.

I find this system to the the quickest and best of all i've tried, and it's good for training troops too.

thank you so much :D, just now i found out i had set orders for my dwarfs to ignore animals ( o a ), now they are all being hauled to my stockpile finally. im going to try out your killing method now.
i still got one problem tough, now my stockpiles are flooded with goblin crap: http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4152/stockpiles.jpg
what do you do with it besides just generously donate them to elves XD?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »

i still got one problem tough, now my stockpiles are flooded with goblin crap: http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4152/stockpiles.jpg
what do you do with it besides just generously donate them to elves XD?
Those things will pack into Bins if you make some, taking up a lot lets space. I read you can make cages out of Glass, i'm going to try that next, which frees up more wood in my plans for bins etc, and i can have a bigger collection of prisoners.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

You can make cages out of glass, yes. Just note that they're called terrariums - they get used for the same things (plus you can make them into aquariums for fish if you like), but the name change might throw you if you're not expecting it.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:21 am »

GHGGHG H=basic hatch
GGGGGG
GGGGGG
GHGGHG
GGGGGG

Hm, I've just tried that, and it doesn't seem to be working for me. When I pit a goblin over an uncovered hole then there's no problem - he falls down. But when I pit that goblin over a hatched hole - then he stands on it for a moment and then runs away, sometimes scaring civilians who were trying to pit other goblins at the same time. Military has to kill him. It happens to every goblin, no exceptions. I think I will link the hatches to a lever, maybe that will help. Good I haven't tried it with a cyclops.

EDIT: It was my bad, I had pen zones and pit zones overlapping, and had my dwarves trying to pasture goblins. And mechanized do not help, of course.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:31:17 am by Saiko Kila »