Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: temples?  (Read 1188 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: temples?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:06 pm »

How are you going to actually SELL something stolen from a temple?
Far enough away from the Snake God's temple, and thus influence, there'll be collectors who have no worries about Snake God vengeance.  Alternatively, more chaotic followers of the god would pay well to get some True Relic of their deity upon their own private altar, without worrying too much about the fact that it was taken from a more lawful sect of the snake-religion.  Mongoose God followers could want it, first of all to deprive the Sake God followers of it, secondly to officially desecrate it.  And all kinds of other possibilities, as well as those mentioned.

Coins weren't valuable because they were stamped with the king's vissage.
In some ways, they were.  The visage, or other official mark, that was stamped upon it was intended to give the people handling it the reassurance that it was gold (or whatever other material it was supposed to be) of the specified composition.  If it also weighed what it should (or you had a given weight of coins equal to what you wanted, even if they were individually underweight after shaving) then you could in principle accept it without having to get your local alchemist or other relevant metallurgy expert to scrape bits off and test them.  (Imagine every time you got change in shop having to scrape a bit off of the coin to test, and when you paid them back into another shop they did the same, and the next person to receive them then had to...)

In practice, coins were adulterated at source by various rulers, and other tricks, but as long as everyone treated the coins as worth what they were supposed to be then wider trade throughout the land could be conducted without too much concern.  The problem was mostly regarding international trade, or other situations where multiple coinages could be used, in which there would be a legitimate reason to say "Your coins aren't worth as many of my coins as they used to be, I demand more of yours/will give less of mine for this trade".

There were some attempts to peg currencies to various standards, but they caused such situation as mass export of silver coinage from Britain and import of gold coinage into it, due to an imbalance of relative trading values internally and externally.

But the visage/other symbol is a long-established principle.  Even for money that's not actually worth what it represents, like clay tokens reflecting the value of number of cattle from ancient times, often sealed with others into a clay 'pouch' similarly marked with a total number of the cattle supposedly contained.  Obviously these could only be used if produced by a trusted source and could not be forged as such by others, but that's an eternal problem.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 05:40:36 pm »

How are you going to actually SELL something stolen from a temple?
Far enough away from the Snake God's temple, and thus influence, there'll be collectors who have no worries about Snake God vengeance.  Alternatively, more chaotic followers of the god would pay well to get some True Relic of their deity upon their own private altar, without worrying too much about the fact that it was taken from a more lawful sect of the snake-religion.  Mongoose God followers could want it, first of all to deprive the Sake God followers of it, secondly to officially desecrate it.  And all kinds of other possibilities, as well as those mentioned.

And maybe for players that like to rp you could worship some god or other and have a personnel altar and maybe you want an artifact of your god's in your personnel temple/altar? 

Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »

I still think that angels are too tangible. I'd imagine that the effects of stealing would be subtle, so the enemy might strike more lucky blows or you might be set upon by animals more, that sort of thing.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »

Presumably there will also be fences or something that would buy stolen goods from you.

I still think that angels are too tangible. I'd imagine that the effects of stealing would be subtle, so the enemy might strike more lucky blows or you might be set upon by animals more, that sort of thing.

Some effects should be subtle. But I personally like the idea of an angel showing up once or twice and demanding the artifact back. It would make it easier then having to travel half way across the map while cursed to return the artifact.

Who says that the angels have to be tangible? Perhaps they appear to you in dreams when you sleep. There should be some 'messenger' to bluntly tell you 'Oy! Give back me ring!'

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 10:51:57 pm »

Yes, that's a good idea, have it in dreams.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Malakai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 01:00:21 am »

Actually I would like to see temples and religion in Dwarf Mode. It would be a viable vector for introducing 'magics' to the game.

For example Urist McPreistofthebloodgod has sacrificied 100000 dwarf bucks worth of goods to the blood god, and has a very close attuning to his diety. He is able to bless combat troops with 'blood rage' (No Fear, No Pain, increased attack speed, increase damage).
Urist McPreistofearth has sacced 100k and can divine valueble deposits and increase the amount of ore produced from mining.
Urist McPreistofthebloodgod mandates that 10 goblins must be sacrificed in his name within 3 years or Armok with take 10 dwarfs instead.

Sacrificing all that useless extra clothing trade goods etc etc would be a nifty way to clear your stockpiles of extra stuff rendering modded in trash forges , dwarven atom trash compactors etc obsolete.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:09:28 am by Malakai »

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

I say when one steals from temples, instead of an angel, a powerful cleric or crusader will hunt you down.
EDIT: In response to the above, I believe the boost should just be a morale boost to friendlies, possibly making them go into a martial trance. Of course, these benefits would be increased for members of the priest's religion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:19:28 pm by Geen »

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:51 pm »

... or

You could just melt them down for scrap metals, like the Nazis did to a lot of the Jewish artifacts they took.

Because it's not a proper DF forum thread until someone cites the Nazis as their inspiration.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »

Because it's not a proper DF forum thread until someone cites the Nazis as their inspiration.

Did you just Godwin's Law me?

:o
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

If there are going to be temples to the god of sacrifice/gore/evil/whatever, you should be able to take prisoners from battle or just abduct people for sacrifice. Sentients should be butcherable also for sake of sacrifice.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.
Pages: 1 [2]