Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Science Spilling into Real Life?  (Read 3849 times)

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Dwarven Science Spilling into Real Life?
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/duncan/17611/

Does anyone else think the "food source for astronauts or nuclear winter" thing sounds incredibly dwarfy?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Science Spilling into Real Life?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »

So it's basically Plump Helmets In !!SPACE!!.

Yes, I realize that "!!SPACE!!" is on fire, there. After all, they would be growing them in hard radiation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:30:59 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

Oh my god.

I hate mushrooms but DAYUMN dats some fine fungus...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

It also raises an interesting science question.

If this fungus does this with melanin, a chemical that exists in the human body... would it be possible for the human body to be "taught" this chemical enhancement? Presuming, of course, that you could mitigate the amount of damage this could do to our DNA... not to mention cancer.

That's some tough, ass fungus.  Seriously, it's probably got the taste and smell of burnt rubber,
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

Its not just food. You can actualy build with Fungy. Hehe you can actually mold them or form them like styrofoam if you have the right tools.

But now we know how Plumphelmets can grow. They feast on the decaying radon that accumulates in the caverns turning the co2 down there into oxygen and biomass!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

^As much as I hate using memes in other forums, I've got to say this.

inb4 this becomes the official explanation for dwarf fortress construction.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 01:55:22 am »

This is quite possibly the best thing I've ever seen.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:12 am »

I thought of the Japanese Miracle from Ghost in the Shell. Just in time to deal with the nuclear emergency in Japan right now.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:03 pm »

I thought of the Japanese Miracle from Ghost in the Shell. Just in time to deal with the nuclear emergency in Japan right now.

Hell, Japan could probably make a profit off it. Throw a bunch of magic mushroom spores in, grow them and breed them and then sell the super 'shrooms off to Amsterdam. Basically instant money.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »

Quote from: the article
Researchers believe that melanin is present to protect fungi from stress, such as radiation, and that certain species use this molecule for metabolic reactions. Dadachova's lab discovered that exposure to radiation caused the melanin in these species to change shape, increasing its ability to impact metabolism and growth.

Homer: If we learned one thing from The Amazing Colossal Man and Grasshopperus, it's that radiation makes stuff grow real big, real fast.
Marge: But didn't Grasshopperus kill Chad Everett?
Homer: Only because he tried to reason with him.

Surely tossing this mutant fungus to allow its unchecked growth consuming hazardous radioactive material that will still be radioactive, but now part of a living creature's metabolism, in a way where we have very little way to shut down any out-of-control reaction without killing the people who try to perform it will have absolutely no unforseen consequences!

Why no, this doesn't sound like a bad science fiction plot opening sequence whatsoever!  :D
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:34 pm »

Researchers believe that melanin is present to protect fungi from stress, such as radiation, and that certain species use this molecule for metabolic reactions. Dadachova's lab discovered that exposure to radiation caused the melanin in these species to change shape, increasing its ability to impact metabolism and growth.

Homer: If we learned one thing from The Amazing Colossal Man and Grasshopperus, it's that radiation makes stuff grow real big, real fast.

Surely tossing this mutant fungus to allow its unchecked growth consuming hazardous radioactive material that will still be radioactive, but now part of a living creature's metabolism, in a way where we have very little way to shut down any out-of-control reaction without killing the people who try to perform it will have absolutely no unforseen consequences!

Why no, this doesn't sound like a bad science fiction plot opening sequence whatsoever!  :D
if somebody had a flamethrower...

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 03:07:37 am »

Anything that takes the world one step closer to a science fiction B-movie is something that, in my opinion, should be wholly supported.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 01:16:44 pm »

if somebody had a flamethrower...
We could always just nuke it.

Oh, wait...

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 05:10:22 pm »

we already make vitamin d from sunlight-so if you could somehow live off of one vitamin, you could totally do this

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:05 am »

"using melanin raises the possibility that this chemical also converts radiation from the sun into food for our skin cells,"

I take this to mean that instead of the sun depleting our skin it would actually nourish it.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.
Pages: [1] 2