Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm making an RTD, you're telling me what to put in it.  (Read 2865 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
I'm making an RTD, you're telling me what to put in it.
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »

Since this isn't a thread for the game itself, I think this belongs here. I'm gonna use a 1d12:2 roll with modifiers applied to the roll itself, but not the end result. That's the way I roll (get it? Roll!).
 Anyway I'm accepting originality, but don't stray away too far from the main concept. Since I'm making the game I may also veto some things.

Things I decided:
1: 1d12:2
2:Serious.
3:Focus on having a limited amount of skills, the rules of which are pretty loose, thus making the skills have as much potential for improvisation as skills made by the players. (not sure about this one)
4:Lots of focus on unifying backstory and gameplay. So if theres a monster which lives only underground, you can damage it with an illuminating spell or something, if a predatory creature has much improved hearing, you can hurt it with loud sounds.
5: Unit stacks. Instead of tracking individual units, they will be unified into a stack if there is a lot of them.
 Things I decided with your help:
6:Urban Fantasy.
7:PVP and teamwork is RP enforced.
8:Flexibility over depth.
9:Character power is higher than average, but not godlike.
10:Creativity rewarded.
11:No railroading.

To keep things orderly, this is what we should decide right now:
-Setting. Be specific: Cyberpunk, High Fantasy, Space Opera, Gothic Fantasy...
-Character power: From lowly peasants-turned-adventurers to demigods capable of killing armies by themselves.
-Flexibility or depth.
-Rewarding creativity and logic (the aforementioned use of backstory) or strategical skill and cunning (more rules requiring thinking).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:20:53 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm making an RTD, you're telling me what to put in it.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »

Well, for the first two - Urban Fantasy (ie, modern setting with magic and such) and below demigod level of character power, but above your average hero.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:26:20 pm »

Allow flexibility (I mean, Railroads? seriously). Reward creativity.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:31:21 pm »

A limb system. You know, 300 damage severs that limb, 125 that one.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »

Well, for the first two - Urban Fantasy (ie, modern setting with magic and such)
Aye, a comparatively rare, but great genre. You might want to specify tho. It can be used to describe those Japanese-ish settings with <insert name here> living between humans, the dark cultist stuff with demons, horror mystery with ghosts...

Allow flexibility (I mean, Railroads? seriously). Reward creativity.

Railroads? That's the game with over 100 different trains that do basically the same, but have different stats, right? Or did I somehow type a reference I don't even understand? 0_o

Edit: @Angel Of Death: Actually, I was thinking of a HP system, but with limb damage and bleeding as debuffs.

Edit: Also, I'm not accepting suggestions right now, so you can keep giving me suggestions on the things you already talked about. I'll accept what most people/I like when there are more suggestions.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:35:08 pm by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »

Railroading means that the GM forces the players into one predetermined route that he has decided on. From readin DM of the Rings and Darths and Droids I've learned that a good GM doesn't bring the players to the plot, he brings the plot to the players.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:20 pm »

Railroading is when a game master has a particular plot in mind and forces the player characters onto it, whether they like it or not.  It's like the difference between interactive storytelling with a human, and "interactive" "storytelling" with a computer in the usual RPG-style game.

... Ninja'd.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:37:18 pm »

Doing what I'm good at B)

Of course the players shouldn't actively try to derail the plot, but that's a given I guess.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:19 pm »

Railroading means that the GM forces the players into one predetermined route that he has decided on. From readin DM of the Rings and Darths and Droids I've learned that a good GM doesn't bring the players to the plot, he brings the plot to the players.

Oh. Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Tho if everyone acts like they want, that brings us to another topic: PVP, and teams. Will there be PVP? Will the players be on one team?

I'd like more suggestions about the setting, since that determines pretty much everything except mechanics.

Also, Vector on an RTD thread? 0_o

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:41 pm »

Reward creativity when it happens, usually it helps define a PC.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:43:46 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »

PVP... I dislike PVP 'cause I suck at it. I don't mind conflict in an RPG, but it should be solved quickly enough through diplomacy as to not kill of a player prematurely.

Ya know, when two players get in a fight, then another player (or, if not possible, the GM) should step in and stop them. With non-lethal force if necessary.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »

PVP... I dislike PVP 'cause I suck at it. I don't mind conflict in an RPG, but it should be solved quickly enough through diplomacy as to not kill of a player prematurely.
Bwahahaha, I'm a fan of hard as hell games, including RTDs. :3

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:49 pm »

Yeeeah, yeah, I know >_>

It was in GD, I've had only 3 hours of sleep, and I occasionally consider joining an RtD ever since a mafia game incorporated one in its flavortext.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »

Bwahahaha, I'm a fan of hard as hell games, including RTDs. :3
I noticed. Still, PVE's where the main difficulty should come from.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:44:23 pm »

Oh. Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Tho if everyone acts like they want, that brings us to another topic: PVP, and teams. Will there be PVP? Will the players be on one team?

I'd like more suggestions about the setting, since that determines pretty much everything except mechanics.

Let players kill eachother if they want to. As long as you have enough players on the waiting list, it won't be a problem. Then again, I've never experienced PvP as a player (outside arena combat RTD's), so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3