Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CCS Boss  (Read 5329 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: CCS Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:42:39 am »

It's a joke that Toady included back when he was developing it. Whenever someone asked about it, he'd reply that it was just as useful as it was in real life. (Hint: Spraypainted cardboard.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:20 am »

Then why the hell does it cost $1000?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:19 am »

Because people pay for it.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 11:02:57 am »

I always imagined it as a bright cyan coat made of spraypainted cherios (linked into chain mail)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 11:04:31 am »

I always thought of it as dark grey plastic rings (the type on six packs of beer) linked together.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »

I think they're a bit large to look like a good set of ring or chain mail. Also LARPers want to look like a fantasy hero, not someone who feel asleep in a bin while a couple of guys outside crack open a few six-packs.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »

I must channel some sort of Extreme Liberal Energy into the game, because some of my greatest successes have been with groups wearing Mithril.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 01:03:37 pm »

If you have very high dodge skill, armor rarely matters because they can't hit you in the first place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

But it hurts when they do and blow teeth off.

God, damn, teeth - you can replace limbs and organs but not bloody teeth. >.>

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 04:26:55 pm »

no you can have any vest as long as your not a convicted felon.

Anything above a 3 isn't so much a vest as body armor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 04:44:44 pm »

Well, just for reference about armor usefulness:

Naked/Mithril Armor -> All Unmentioned Clothing Types -> Trenchcoat -> LCS Body Armor -> Police Body Armor -> Army Body Armor -> Heavy Body Armor

Bunker Gear has some level of protection as well, but it isn't that useful overall. Even against fire damage it fails fairly quickly, and bullets aren't really stopped at all.

It's not quite as simple as all that.

First, Trenchcoats work as regular clothing armorwise.  Trenchcoat being armor was from an ancient version, and has persisted as a urban legend.

There are actually two types of police armor: Regular and SWAT.  SWAT is better.

Finally, the above diagram does not take into account where the armor protects.  Bunker Gear is arguably useful simply because it covers all body parts, whereas SWAT armor is the first armor that protects the head.  Headshots tend to be deadly without armor that covers the head.  That is why Bunker Gear is harder and more expensive for tailors to make.

So, Bunker Gear actually is useful for high-health characters, as it allows them just enough protection to survive headshots regularily.  Anyone else would die from headshots with or without the protection of bunker gear, so it is best to give them LCS body armor or Police Armor, so they can at least survive shots to the torso.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:53 pm »

Also the reason why a Trenchcoat gives armor in this game isn't because it blocks bullets but rather it represents the difficulty of hitting a target with redundent visibility (poor made up term)

Basically if this game had a Mascot Costume it would likely have an armor rating too.

Mythril armor however does not offer even that and could never stop even civilian grade weaponry.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

Trenchcoats had an armor rating back before there was body armor in the game, but their armor got nerfed when real armor was introduced. At that time, mithril armor offered zero protection, normal clothing offered one point, and trenchcoats offered two points.

Basically if this game had a Mascot Costume it would likely have an armor rating too.

It does have a mascot costume, but without any armor rating. You can make donkey and elephant suits (mascots for Democrats and Republicans) from the tailoring menu.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

Really? I thought Trenchcoats sill have rating 1.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »

Really? I thought Trenchcoats sill have rating 1.

Double checking armors.xml, it doesn't have any armor rating, but it does conceal larger weapons than most, and it counts as stealth clothing. No armor, but still a great item.
Pages: 1 [2] 3