Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Healthcare laws  (Read 3316 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Healthcare laws
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »

Yes!

Free Clinic becomes back alley surgeon (after all, they promote free market principles, everyone should be allowed to practice medicine!)
Organ selling, shoddy surgery where going in for a minor wound still entails a chance of death, OR you can pay the 90,000 for something that won't kill you. :P

It isn't needed.  The player can send a liberal to the university for a few days, learn first aid to skill 1, then use that liberal to heal injuries.  Sure it sucks, but so does C+.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 08:14:10 pm »

I'd say the back alley clinic gets a real small chance on affecting your stats. Depending on how lucky you are, they could go up or down.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:40 pm »

Yes!

Free Clinic becomes back alley surgeon (after all, they promote free market principles, everyone should be allowed to practice medicine!)
Organ selling, shoddy surgery where going in for a minor wound still entails a chance of death, OR you can pay the 90,000 for something that won't kill you. :P

It isn't needed.  The player can send a liberal to the university for a few days, learn first aid to skill 1, then use that liberal to heal injuries.  Sure it sucks, but so does C+.

Damage to organs and such needs proper treatment and not first aid.

EDIT: Disregard this, I just healed a collapsed lung and a blasted spleen with 13 First Aid.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:54:27 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:23 pm »

I seem to recall that the last time I looked at the source, you only needed to go to hospital if the lead first aider was unable to treat the injury. For a destroyed heart, the absolute minimum first aid skill was 12. I think the difficulty stuff has been unified since then, so I don't know what the current first aid situation is.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 03:23:42 pm »

I seem to recall that the last time I looked at the source, you only needed to go to hospital if the lead first aider was unable to treat the injury. For a destroyed heart, the absolute minimum first aid skill was 12. I think the difficulty stuff has been unified since then, so I don't know what the current first aid situation is.

Those first aid calculations have always been a special case, and I don't think I messed with them. They're probably the same.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:58 pm »

Even if that is so, then you're still not going to be healing a pierced heart with 1 First Aid skill as it was stated.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 12:09:09 am »

Even if that is so, then you're still not going to be healing a pierced heart with 1 First Aid skill as it was stated.

Not to detract from your point, but even the hospital can't fix a pierced heart; I think they only have an effective first aid skill of 8. If your heart is blasted, you're basically a dead man walking. Generally characters bleed out within a couple combat turns of it happening anyway, though, so it's normally a moot point.

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:29 am »

I personally think that the Back Alley Clinic should cost money (though not as much as the Hospital) and be risky. They're an illegal body-chop-shop, after all.

Also, I like the idea of the University Hospital refusing individuals referred to their emergency rooms without paying at C.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:27 am »

If I recall correctly, the Clinic has a skill of 6 and the Hospital 12 - although I might be wrong.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 08:37:53 am »

Why in the world is a Back Alley Doctor free? IRL, these illegal doctors are even MORE expensive than the government hospitals, aren't they? I'm talking about those guys who treat gun shot wounds for criminals and illegal abortions, etc etc.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:08 am »

Why in the world is a Back Alley Doctor free? IRL, these illegal doctors are even MORE expensive than the government hospitals, aren't they? I'm talking about those guys who treat gun shot wounds for criminals and illegal abortions, etc etc.
That reminds me: The LCS are usually criminals. Wouldn't it be prudent to add in a persuasion roll if a LCS member goes to the Clinic (Easy to pass because the clinic is sympathetic to the LCS)/Hospital (Hard to pass because they are a buisness tangled up in the Conservative machine) with gunshot wounds? If failed, the police show up in the liberal's hospital room. From there, I'm not sure what options you could give. If the Liberal isn't wanted for anything they'd probably be released, but otherwise I'd say that Near-Death Liberal would be immediately arrested and anyone else would have a chance to fight their way out (yeah, good luck with that).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »

I'd like abortions to be a bigger factor myself.
Providing illegal abortions for cash for example. But also possibility of having a baby and aborting it or not!

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »

Babies and family drama wouldn't fit in LCS in my opinion. Besides, a bunch of gun-wielding urban terrorists with a cute little baby with them. Doesn't really fit the image.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »

Well we could always use them as shields
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 08:49:19 pm »

While ablative baby armor is of course in-theme, even Dwarf Fortress did not have its dwarves make babies solely to impale upon goblin spears.
Pages: 1 [2] 3