Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Linux...how/why?  (Read 4514 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Linux...how/why?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:32 pm »

Meh, doc(x) and other formats are stupid anyway.
.txt and .rtf are the best formats that everybody should use.
.pdf is good too, but only for certain things like ebooks and character sheets or other things you either won't edit or will print out and write on to edit.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »

I agree with ein.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

I've used openoffice to take my class notes (and do works. And watch powerpoints. And convert files from one format to another....) for the last three years, and I've never had any stability or interface problems.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2011, 05:50:04 pm »

I've used openoffice to take my class notes (and do works. And watch powerpoints. And convert files from one format to another....) for the last three years, and I've never had any stability or interface problems.
I've had one with docX files with embedded check boxes. The formatting on that thing was screwy as hell for anything but office 2007, but the teacher didn't complain when I used x's instead of clicking what was supposed to be a box.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2011, 07:10:11 pm »

Recommended Linux Distros: Mint (for newbies) and Arch (if you know what you're doing and/or want to learn)

I've been using Linux almost exclusively for several months (mostly booting Win7 to update it >_>), even school stuff. Only had a couple small problems w/ LO: the backgrounds in a series of PPTs were screwed up, and a table in a DOC was on top of another one.

Mint is excellent for someone new to Linux; Wubi lets you install in about 4 clicks. I don't use it myself, but my GF loves it. WARNING: the default wallpaper is very very green. Easy to set-up and tweak, and if you do change your mind, a wubi install's easy to remove.

Arch runs awesome on my kerosene-powered cheese grater! Just don't run out of yogurt ;)
But seriously, it's a great system. A bit like DF actually: rather steep learning curve, but totally worth it. And actually IMO DF's more difficult...

True story: I can't play KotOR on Win7 (crashes every 3-4 minutes), but it runs just fine through Wine, just a couple tweaks. No full-screen though.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »

True story: I can't play KotOR on Win7 (crashes every 3-4 minutes), but it runs just fine through Wine, just a couple tweaks. No full-screen though.

Hrmmm.... KOTOR has been having graphic glitches in my netbook under Windows 7. Also nigh unplayable. Ran better in my other netbook with worse memory and graphics card.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2011, 07:18:02 pm »

Does linux have a good music player?
Ever since this thread I have been running over what Microsoft products I use and realised there may be a better player then Windows media player.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »

Does linux have a good music player?
Nope. At least not one for GNOME that I've found, KDE might have one. I usually just use VLC.

There are a bunch of better ones for Windows than WMP. Off the top of my head foobar2000 and MediaMonkey are good.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2011, 07:23:32 pm »

Foobar2000 doesn't have visual support, so pass. I shall look up MediaMonkey.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »

Winamp is also good for Windows.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2011, 07:30:44 pm »

Foobar2000 doesn't have visual support, so pass. I shall look up MediaMonkey.

Make your own module.
Seriously, that's the point of foobar.
Assuming you mean visualisations, there's already a few of those audio based thingies like a spectrum and spectrogram.
But yeah, I'm going to recommend foobar to everybody, Windows or Linux because of how awesome it is.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2011, 07:33:32 pm »

No, I was under the impression that Foobar could play video files like MP4 and what ever else (Can't remember them off the top of my head) but it would only play the audio, No video. Have I been mislead?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2011, 07:34:43 pm »

Oh, that's what you mean.
Video.
Yeah, just use VLC for that.
Though it may be possible to make a module that integrates VLC support...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »

Leave me alone, not my fault if I don't even know what I mean! I haven't had my cup of tea this morning, so my thought process has been allocated less slice time than my cravings.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »

Simply put, foobar has these modules called components that you can super-duper easily install to add things like CD ripping and writing, reading from archives, UI replacements, et cetera.
So what I was thinking was, it might be possible to make a module that accesses a VLC installation on your computer (or maybe MPC or some other, similarly simple video player) and allows you to play video files.
I don't really know, because I've not really bothered checking out the SDK for foobar or anything to figure out what it can and can't do, but it'd be interesting to try.
Or maybe even just straight-up video support.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6