Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fate of the World  (Read 3623 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fate of the World
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:09:39 am »

Fate of the World

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-FOTW/fate-of-the-world

I've been watching this for a long time, it did not disappoint. It's probably the most in depth, fun, difficult, replayable ecological sim I have come across. When I say hard, I mean hard. A patch released today actually reduces the difficulty because it was so hard to survive.
Some people have their strategies and know how to 'win', but theres alot of randomisation and a hell of alot of different strategies to do.
The only downside is there is only really 2 scenarios, a training one focusing on Africa and a main campaign focusing on the world. They did bring out a new one in todays patch, to bridge the gap, but I don't know what that is yet.
Some people have trouble with the interface, as there are alot of statistics and graphs, and you need to use them. However there is a 'news' section for each nation giving hints to how things are progressing, very well! It gives nearly all the needed information at a glance as to the countrys current problems.

Also, its cheap!

Now, onto strategies  :P has anybody won? how did you doit? what are your strategies for:
Africa
South America
India
China
Russia
Japan
Oceana
Europe
NAfrica
SAfrica
Middle East
???

Personally I love to turn Africa into agricultural haven, and make bio fuels as a biproduct.

Tech Issues
Zonealarm conflicts with the Steam version of the game for whatever reason.
Fix-Uninstall ZoneAlarm.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:28:19 am by Deadmeat1471 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Fate of the World
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:13:47 am »

I own it. It still doesn't run well for me, not much change from the beta. At least they fixed the stuttering sound problem I had, but it still has some memory leaks somewhere which make it crash eventually. I do like the game though.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:33:03 am »

I own it. It still doesn't run well for me, not much change from the beta. At least they fixed the stuttering sound problem I had, but it still has some memory leaks somewhere which make it crash eventually. I do like the game though.

Bah. I've had no engine problems, no crashes. It does seem a bit cpu intensive though, some slowdowns in clicking the menus later in the game. As usual the game could be equally as good if not better with a 2d map, the 3d map actually makes it hard to see where events are happening. But pandering to the kiddies happened as usual.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:19:38 am »

There still isn't a freeform mode, is there?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 05:43:25 am »

I've won.  It was crazy hard; now it was before the patch which does fix quite a few things.

1st, mess around on the Oil Challege until you can beat that, it's nowhere near as hard and it's pretty fun.

Now, Three Degrees, the trick is to never go much above 1 Degree.  I could not beat it without causing Megadeaths, I came close a few times, but it just always fell apart on me.
My plan was bacially:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:45:49 am by engy »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:02:05 am »

Hm I havent tried tobin taxing basicly everyone. I will have to try this out :D

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:18:42 am »

4. Kill 1/2 the Chinese with the Bioplagues

Aren't you supposed to be saving the world?
Shoes...

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:30:55 am »

Agreed, I never even considered this lol.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:42:22 am »

Hey, if you wanna make an omelette...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »

Hey, if you wanna make an omelette...
...you have to murder a few million eggs with biological weapons!

Wait...

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 05:01:19 am »

Anyone have problems running the Steam version of this?

Problem fixed, zonealarm conflicts with the Steam version of the game for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:07:24 am by Sartain »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 11:40:11 am »

Problem fixed, zonealarm conflicts with the Steam version of the game for whatever reason.

Added to first post in case anyone else needs.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:15 am »

Added to first post in case anyone else needs.

Good idea, but actually disabling it wasn't enough, you have to uninstall zonealarm completely. So far as I understand if you run with the newest ZA update (which I apparently didn't) it shouldn't be a problem though.

As for strategies, I've managed to succesfully complete the Fuel Crisis scenario once, hanging on by the skin of my teeth.
I usually find that ignoring Africa, India and the Middle East for a turn or 2 in the beginning gives me a chance to get the rest of the world working, but the fact that everyone LOATHES the Tobin Tax makes it insanely hard to actually have enough money to do enough, especially when you're trying to convert the first world countries to run their own agriculture so they don't collapse entirely under the weight of the financial bubble.
This game is HARD.
Strangely enough, my worst troubles are usually keeping regions such as Europe, Japan, North America and Oceania content, while China, Russia, Latin America and SE Asia develop into healthy, green regions...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:52:44 am by Sartain »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:00 am »

Quite realistic really, the developed world suffers more and dislikes ecochange more than nations which derive little benefit from it in comparison.

Ill edit the fix to uninstall zonealarm, thanks!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:09:20 am »

Quite realistic really, the developed world suffers more and dislikes ecochange more than nations which derive little benefit from it in comparison.

Ill edit the fix to uninstall zonealarm, thanks!

I suspect one of the most important things to do at the beginning of a game is run the Eco campaigns that change the regional outlook
Pages: [1] 2