Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming encased in ice  (Read 894 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Becoming encased in ice
« on: April 15, 2011, 02:37:55 am »

During Adventure Mode, when you become encased in ice, you should wake up 100-200 years later.

I am appalled nobody thought of this before.

Or if they did, I am shamed.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming encased in ice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:59 am »

During Adventure Mode, when you become encased in ice, you should wake up 100-200 years later.

I am appalled nobody thought of this before.

Or if they did, I am shamed.

Then you promptly die because all of your tissues are full up with little ice crystals, which'll tear you to shreds when you move.

(No, it probably doesn't work like that in real life, but I think it's pretty DF-esque to see some recently unfrozen cavedwarf move a muscle and immediatley explode into blood.)
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:38:57 am »

the water in you freeze and beacause water expands when it becomes ice.............it rip your cells into bits.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:03:41 am »

There are animals that can survive being frozen solid and use it to survive the winter. Having some animals capable of this could be interesting.

On the topic of freezing creatures there is a problem with that currently. If someone gets frozen into a block and then that block is melted not even weapons or bones remain. If you mine the tile out on the other hand you can find remains. This would need to be fixed for your suggestion to work.

Edit: Adding to above: If you freeze a goblin into a tile, melt the tile, freeze it again, then mine it out his gear will be there. So it does still remember what's supposed to be there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:17:12 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:15:21 am »

More importantly, there should be some warning before you become encased in ice.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:44:52 pm »

Assuming you survived the whole blood cells bursting thing. You would just come back to life once the ice melted. About two to five months in the game. Not 100-200 years.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 04:16:43 am »

Also... if you are completely encased in ice, how do you breath?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:25:16 am »

in RL the cold lowers the need for blood, a lot.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:30:02 am »

I would like to be able to FIND encased adventurers. Also, I would like to be encased in ice and then be FOUND by an adventurer.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »

I actually like this idea, it's fun and no stranger than some other DF physics. The only thing needed as a pre-req for this to work is for worldgen to continue to run while you are encased. It'd suck for you to revive and nothing's changed / moved on.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:46 am »

@antymattar
That's going to be slightly confusing to figure out who you're going to play as.

Skipping the fact that I doubt falling into a freezing pond is going to be like medieval cryogenics, when you fall into the water and it freezes, if you somehow are frozen in time, do you just sit there for years and years, or do you get an option to leave that adventurer? And what keeps track of if they survive? What happens if I'm in an arctic sea and get frozen?

If we can go find out old adventurer's body incased in ice, I propose that if we can excavate him, we have a chance of killing, maiming, or injuring him. Something like:

You carefully chisel at the ice around Urist McFrozen.
You miss the chisel but stop right before the ice!
You carefully chisel at the ice around Urish McFrozen.
You hit the chisel the wrong way and the end stabs into Urist McFrozen's lower left leg!

If we had this, we might as well say we're going to have friggin archeologist adventurers.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.