Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need more megabeasts  (Read 1946 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
I need more megabeasts
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

I mean good ones.  Not ones taken from some other game (unless that game took them from fairly standard fantasy), or unkillable beasts (Death/Terrasque/Galactus, Devourer of Worlds).

Anyone know a good source?  I have Genesis already and I'm tired of all the megas ONLY being dragons.  Plus... they're pretty hard to kill for the Worldgenners.

I like my worlds generating through various stages.  Age of Myth is ok, but when it's the year 1050, there are 10k people in the world, and still it is not the Age of Legends, I feel like something is wrong.  Those badass Dragons will still be there when I want to adventure or play fortress mode, since they're so badass, but in the meantime I want to have some killable stuff out there.

Bonus points if they breed.

Megabonus if they have multiple castes.

Ultrabonus if they hunt vermin, too.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: I need more megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

I mean good ones.  Not ones taken from some other game (unless that game took them from fairly standard fantasy), or unkillable beasts (Death/Terrasque/Galactus, Devourer of Worlds).

Anyone know a good source?  I have Genesis already and I'm tired of all the megas ONLY being dragons.  Plus... they're pretty hard to kill for the Worldgenners.

I like my worlds generating through various stages.  Age of Myth is ok, but when it's the year 1050, there are 10k people in the world, and still it is not the Age of Legends, I feel like something is wrong.  Those badass Dragons will still be there when I want to adventure or play fortress mode, since they're so badass, but in the meantime I want to have some killable stuff out there.

Bonus points if they breed.

Megabonus if they have multiple castes.

Ultrabonus if they hunt vermin, too.
We need to mod in giant cats.

That don't have a population cap. Ahhh, the good ol' days.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:00:23 am »

Nobody has any ideas?

Seriously?

With what's on this front page?

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:32 am »

hmmm If your willing to test mine out I'll upload it let me know how tough it is
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:00:25 pm »

Ideas!

1: Fallen Angels: We have demons, so why not angels? However, to preserve interest these Angels are very violent, have holy light as breath attacks and are megabeasts.
2: God's Avatar: An avatar of a long forgotten God. Without any purpose, they strike out at everything. They can be defeated but they are hard.
3: Ascended Mage: Long ago, a random group of Magi thought it would be fun to change shape. After going completely mad, they came Ascended Magi. Their human memory is long forgotten along with the shape, so now they are horrific giant creatures living on pure magic, and can use magic as a breath attack.
4: Diseased: Humans who have come down with every virus in the world. Their breath attack causes a syndrome that makes all your flesh, eyes and teeth rot.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »

Nobody has any ideas?

Seriously?

With what's on this front page?
I thought there would be more serious ones as well.

I just have basic ideas. I could probably dig some mythological creatures up, and see what I find.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:06:03 pm »

Ideas!

1: Fallen Angels: We have demons, so why not angels? However, to preserve interest these Angels are very violent, have holy light as breath attacks and are megabeasts.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4222 there you go
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:26:07 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »

Hmm.

From standard fantasy: Half-check (depending on if you believe the stories in the bible as fact or fiction (come on theres a book of Songs, it's fiction with a message))

Breeds: eh. Not so important

Vermins: Nope, but that just means you don't get ultra-mega points

Fallen angels sounds pretty interesting, actually.  Hmm, could one make semimegabeasts as a civ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:44 pm »

Ideas!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4222 there you go
I think we don't have angels because in DF world angels would probably be creepier than demons. Also we don't have heavens, only the hell.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 02:10:05 pm »

well.....basically the entire tyranid race, carnifexes?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »

The question to ask yourself is, do you want to have more megabeasts, or more massive creatures sieging you.

If you want massive creatures sieging you, I think Fortress Defence has three "challenge" races. You can just copy over the specific creatures' raws and entity raws if you just want to add those into the game.

Try adding megabeasts from mythology. The only megabeasts so far are the Hydra, Roc, Dragon and Bronze Collossus.

Hippocamp - Horse with a fish-like rear. You'll need a magma moat to keep this one out.
Cerberus - (Unique) Three headed dog guarding the underworld. If modded-in, the population count is done per biome. According to Dwarf Fortress Biology 101, decapitation of one head is sufficient to cause unconsciousness.
Typhon - (Unique) Absolutely massive creature with dragon heads for fingers and has wings. This one will have to be cut down to size (or crushed under a cavein).
Pegasus - (Unique) winged horse.
Echidna - (Unique) Woman with the body of a serpent.

If you set fewer lairs than megabeasts (works with cave-dwelling megabeasts), the megabeasts will cohabitate.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »

jormangandr: an huge snake (2 times an dragon) with an extreamly poisonus bite
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:14:57 pm »

Good question to ask myself... and thereby the community, actually.

The way I see it, wildlife in DF (or any other fantasy realm) can be divided into 3 types:

Beasts - This is your basic critter.  Bears, Wolves, basically anything dangerous that is nonetheless Natural and Mundane.  Humans fit into this category, as well.  Obviously these should be the most numerous critters, and the easiest to kill.

- Lions
- Tigers
- Bears (oh my)
- Man (because he is the most dangerous animal)
- Dwarves (because they're crazy but not impossible)

Fantastical - In DF-terms, this is a semimegabeast.  Something about this critter is just not natural.  It should not exist, for some reason or another, but nonetheless it is a mortal being.  Elves fit this in most realms.  For society as we know it to truly blossom, there cannot be an overwhelming number of Fantastical beings.

- Elves (as I see them, they live for a millenia... not natural but still mortal)
- Wyvrens (They existed, as Quetzalcoatls, Pterodactyls, etc)
- Chimera (Add a bunch of Beasts into one body, and there you go)

Megabeast - Big.  Nasty.  Monstrous.  These creatures defy the very logic of what it means to be a Natural critter. They do not die from old age.  And if they are not destroyed, civilization cannot move forward.  Who can run a kingdom when a Dragon will come by and knock everything down.  These are the things that Heroes fight.

- The Dragon
- The Collosus
- The Terrasque
- Anything starting in "The"

So basically, when the smoke of worldgen clears, I'd like to have a few Megabeasts, two scoops of Fantasticals, and a good number of Beasts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:19:48 pm by Jeoshua »

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 04:39:12 pm »

I would attempt to make a Jabberwocky, unfortunately i'm not a skilled enough modder.
Blargh.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:39 am »

Good question to ask myself... and thereby the community, actually.

The way I see it, wildlife in DF (or any other fantasy realm) can be divided into 3 types:

Beasts - This is your basic critter.  Bears, Wolves, basically anything dangerous that is nonetheless Natural and Mundane.  Humans fit into this category, as well.  Obviously these should be the most numerous critters, and the easiest to kill.

- Lions
- Tigers
- Bears (oh my)
- Man (because he is the most dangerous animal)
- Dwarves (because they're crazy but not impossible)

Fantastical - In DF-terms, this is a semimegabeast.  Something about this critter is just not natural.  It should not exist, for some reason or another, but nonetheless it is a mortal being.  Elves fit this in most realms.  For society as we know it to truly blossom, there cannot be an overwhelming number of Fantastical beings.

- Elves (as I see them, they live for a millenia... not natural but still mortal)
- Wyvrens (They existed, as Quetzalcoatls, Pterodactyls, etc)
- Chimera (Add a bunch of Beasts into one body, and there you go)

Megabeast - Big.  Nasty.  Monstrous.  These creatures defy the very logic of what it means to be a Natural critter. They do not die from old age.  And if they are not destroyed, civilization cannot move forward.  Who can run a kingdom when a Dragon will come by and knock everything down.  These are the things that Heroes fight.

- The Dragon
- The Collosus
- The Terrasque
- Anything starting in "The"

So basically, when the smoke of worldgen clears, I'd like to have a few Megabeasts, two scoops of Fantasticals, and a good number of Beasts.

I don't want to say much more than this at the moment, but here's something.  Expect a mod release dealing with all three of these categories in the coming days.  After a few days of testing, I am almost ready.
Pages: [1] 2