Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using Adventurer mode to influence future artwork  (Read 855 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using Adventurer mode to influence future artwork
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:28:04 pm »

Ah, hello.  Although this is my first post on the forums, I have been a longtime fan of Dwarf Fortress since version 0.28.xxx.xx.  I have only truly gotten into Adventure mode just recently, and I have to say it's quite a huge step up from previous versions.  Anyway, with that said, let me briefly tell you a bit about what I'm doing in it.

I'm trying to have my adventurer's actions influence future artwork, dwarven-made or otherwise.  I figure the best way to accomplish this is to do lots of quests and kill a lot of named creatures.  Most of the quests I get are either "kill this outlaw" or "kill this night creature", and on occasion "kill this semi-megabeast" from law-givers.  Those don't seem to be referenced in any art that gets created in Fortress mode, though, even when I kill a really famous beast that has murdered several dwarves.  Do I have to gain legendary hero status first before any of this gets referenced, or do I need to move on to better creatures?

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Using Adventurer mode to influence future artwork
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »

The stuff is factored into that world's history, I believe-- are you using the same world? Not sure if that can be done without your adventurer dying though...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:09 pm »

The stuff is factored into that world's history, I believe-- are you using the same world? Not sure if that can be done without your adventurer dying though...
or you could retire.
From what I dig up on the subject if you spread your news to the locals of a dwarven town chances are they will engrave something about your exploits better yet if you say wipe out a good block of evil in the area and embark near that area chances are one of the engrave walls or floors will tell a tale of one of your battles.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:43 am »

Well it turns out I have to actually embark in the same region as where all these feats of awesomeness took place for my dwarves to engrave something relevant, so problem solved, I guess.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:39:21 am »

i have seen civ engrave my adventurer's actions on items in adventure mode.
it was 40d and i had killed 200+ of them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG