Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: WTF Adamantine sword location?  (Read 5107 times)

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Adamantine sword location?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »

would have been funny if you did the same things, too many people ruined it for you, its just sad

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 06:23:05 pm »

would have been funny if you did the same things, too many people ruined it for you, its just sad

Fixed.  Let us resolve: next time we shan't second guess ourselves; we won't be ruin-ey ruiners.  We'll remember the Bay12 mantra: losing is fun.
At last, she is done.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »

Fixed.  Let us resolve: next time we shan't second guess ourselves; we won't be ruin-ey ruiners.  We'll remember the Bay12 mantra: losing is fun.

Your idea of fun may not necessarily be the same as everyone else's - some people don't appreciate it when they're given advice that will directly lead to the complete destruction of all their hard work.
It's okay to let somebody figure out for themselves that removing the sword will release demons, but don't INSTRUCT them to remove it...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:30:16 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 06:31:43 pm »

Your idea of fun may not necessarily be the same as everyone else's - some people don't appreciate it when they're given advice that will directly lead to the complete destruction of all their hard work.
It's okay to let somebody figure out for themselves that removing the sword will release demons, but don't INSTRUCT them to remove it...

I would like for you to point out where it says ''We must give ACCURATE'' advice.

It's not our fault if they listen to us. I sure did, and I don't blame anyone but myself. =P
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 08:01:10 pm »

I would like for you to point out where it says ''We must give ACCURATE'' advice.

It's not our fault if they listen to us. I sure did, and I don't blame anyone but myself. =P
never trust what you see on the internet, only a fool would do so
turns out most of us are fools

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »

I don't want to get into this too much since everyone could have a different opinion, but I will say that I'm fine, no, happy, to promote the notion of fun that the DF community has embraced: losing.

I also think that playing along is in keeping with the reason that we usually put phrases like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in spoilers; because we want people to experience all the surprises DF has to offer without having the surprises ruined.  Why else would Toady program in such a sadistic lure and trap?

There was no way I was ever going to stumble upon the really fun spoilers.  I spent too much time on the forums when .31 came out.  That said, I think we owe it to the newer players to let them experience the game as Toady made it: exciting and brutal and fun.
At last, she is done.

bayonder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »

I tirelessly researched everything on the wiki when I first started playing, as a result I had a lot of the surprises ruined for me, if I could I would go back and discover the HFS on my own, as the happy accident that the Great Toady intended.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 12:06:25 am »

Yeah, but nobody gave you a link to an example of what happens when you do go after the sword. So your comment about newbies not listening to advice doesn't count, because he listened to yours.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 12:09:34 am »

Someone else said it first, and I didn't give advice. I mentioned the link only in response to him, that he didn't need to spoil it because maybe the guy would find it funny, like I did.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 02:14:26 am »

Serious advice - when digging down to explore caverns, have Hatches over down stairs every 10 levels or so, rather than open X's all the way down. Enemies cannot break hatches when they are on a z-level below. Just remember to lock them (manually) if anything nasty starts to head to the fortress, this is quicker than having a lever. Plus, dwarves which can see and enemy (many levels away) down the stairwell will panic and act stupid, the breaks stop this problem too. These hatches will stop Forgotten Beasts getting in.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:19:39 am by Reelyanoob »

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 02:48:29 am »

Chanel a square around the sword, remove the ramps, build Fortifications next to it, chanel another row behind the fortification and build a a bridge to cross over. Place one dwarf inside, seal the whole Area, raise the bridge and place 30-40 Marksdwarfes behind the fortification.

A Ammo Stockpile with at least 1k Bolts would be nice to have, but unless lag dont kill you you get a damn god practiseground for your Marksdwarfes.

Code: [Select]
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GG...........GG
GG.FFFFFFFFF.GG
GG.F.......F.GG
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGSGG.B.BGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.......F.GG
GG.FFFFFFFFF.GG
GG...........GG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
S = Sword
F = Fortification
G = Ground
. = Empty Space
B = Bridge
M = Marksdwarf
A = Ammostockpile

Of Course you need to adjust it to your suroundings, but the Demons cant get out and only your bolts can go in.

But be prepared for the sickest Lag you will ever experience.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 04:30:16 am »

I tirelessly researched everything on the wiki when I first started playing, as a result I had a lot of the surprises ruined for me, if I could I would go back and discover the HFS on my own, as the happy accident that the Great Toady intended.

Same, I really enjoyed giggling to myself as I read spiraldementia's thread and really impressed that no-one spoilt it for him. Personally I think new players should be encouraged to seek out stuff like this and given no advanced warning. Every fort will die eventually unless one walls themselves in so the idea of 'losing what they worked so hard to build' being a terrible thing is quite ridiculous.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 11:18:30 am »

Chanel a square around the sword, remove the ramps, build Fortifications next to it, chanel another row behind the fortification and build a a bridge to cross over. Place one dwarf inside, seal the whole Area, raise the bridge and place 30-40 Marksdwarfes behind the fortification.

A Ammo Stockpile with at least 1k Bolts would be nice to have, but unless lag dont kill you you get a damn god practiseground for your Marksdwarfes.

Code: [Select]
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GG...........GG
GG.FFFFFFFFF.GG
GG.F.......F.GG
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGSGG.B.BGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.GGGGG.F.GGMMMAAAAA
GG.F.......F.GG
GG.FFFFFFFFF.GG
GG...........GG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
S = Sword
F = Fortification
G = Ground
. = Empty Space
B = Bridge
M = Marksdwarf
A = Ammostockpile

Of Course you need to adjust it to your suroundings, but the Demons cant get out and only your bolts can go in.

But be prepared for the sickest Lag you will ever experience.
Problem, Fortress is made of Slade
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 08:40:25 pm »

Build the wall from other stuff unless you dump all mined stone you will have fuck tons everywhere. if not MAGMA

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »

Theres usually nothing guarding it until you grab it. Then it spawns a few zombies, not really all that many to tell you the truth. Just be careful about the miasma....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4