Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More cloth objects  (Read 629 times)

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More cloth objects
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:47 am »

Tapestries, rugs, and banners could all be used to add value to the fortress by using cloth, a resource with mostly limited uses.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Gloster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More cloth objects
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:09:02 am »

I like that.

I was also thinking canvases and paintings.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:41:37 am »

Not to discount that this is something simple that Toady could give more functionality by incorporating into the vanilla game itself, but you can already do this, in a way, through modding.

You can add a "weave rug" reaction, a "rug" tool, and a "rug" custom workshop that takes a rug tool to construct.

Since we already have Display Case mods, adding a rug wouldn't be terribly different.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:06:25 pm »

This suggestion has come up before, but to tie this into a more recent new thread, "rug" could be a way to enhance floors, it could be the most basic bed type, it could be hung on the wall (tapestry), used as a bed covering (blanket), used to clean or dry things (towel) or mounted on a pole (banner).
I suppose it would be possible to implement in reactions, but given how many uses a piece of cloth with the edges trimmed and nicely seamed is, it would be nice of it was in the core game.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »

This suggestion has come up before, but to tie this into a more recent new thread, "rug" could be a way to enhance floors, it could be the most basic bed type, it could be hung on the wall (tapestry), used as a bed covering (blanket), used to clean or dry things (towel) or mounted on a pole (banner).
I suppose it would be possible to implement in reactions, but given how many uses a piece of cloth with the edges trimmed and nicely seamed is, it would be nice of it was in the core game.

That was about making different kinds of beds, though.  This is about having other uses for cloth.  The goals here are different, although "use cloth for beds" would be a solution to both.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:09:35 pm »

Exactly.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

The last few could be done in reactions, but the floor and wall enhancement couldn't, and those are the best ideas in the list.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Marek14

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:38:33 am »

The last few could be done in reactions, but the floor and wall enhancement couldn't, and those are the best ideas in the list.

It would be even more fun to build rugs and tapestries like bridges, so they could have size (the bigger, the better value -- dwarves would come and embroid them tile by tile). I see a problem with tapestries, though -- wouldn't a tapestry hung on the wall between two rooms automatically count for both? With engravings, you can say that thez just engraved both sides of the wall (with the same image), but tapestry on both sides of a wall should definitelz use up more materials...