Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murky pools don't dry out  (Read 1604 times)

XenoZergie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murky pools don't dry out
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

The floor of a murky pool is always some kind of "murky pool" material, rather than whatever underlying rock is actually there.

This makes it so that even if you drain the pool to make a mud room for farming, and even after all the water evaporates from the original pool, it still claims to be a "murky pool" and cannot be built upon or farmed.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Murky pools don't dry out
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

The murky pool area is currently distinguished for rain-filling purposes.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

XenoZergie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

How exactly does that work?
Does that mean that the water in a "Murky pool" tile will increase when it rains?
What does rain do in any other tile?

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

"Murky pool" type places refill after each winter on my map, when they thaw out from being frozen.

I guess they're special so that toady can make them "refill" from "weather" without actually having to implement a whole rainwater/snowmelt-accumulating-and-creating-actual-flows type of system.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

Mine all dried out in summer 1051 (though they remain named 'murky pool' of course), but have never refilled at all since then.

(On a side note, I built a deep pit open to the sky to hopefully collect rainwater, but it didn't work.)

At the moment my fortress has no water source at all. It's a good thing making booze doesn't require water, or my dwarves would all have died before autumn 1051!

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

The trouble comes in when you drain one. I wound up digging into a hill, and had a couple of pools in z+1. Dug through the surrounding sand to allow them to drain out into the countryside (mostly an experiment, just to see if I could, but at the time I wasn't sure if they went down further and might've interfered with excavations). This worked, but they remain as brown ~ tiled "Murky Pools" which do not freeze, do not dry, and their tiles cannot be interacted with in any way.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »

You can fill them up with a diverted stream, not that it helps you much!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>Mine all dried out in summer 1051 (though they remain named 'murky pool' of course), but have never refilled at all since then.</STRONG>

I haven't had a chance to check in 33a yet, but I had this problem on 2 maps in 32a (the only 2 that lasted long enough for me to observe this happening). Granted, I don't think the first one even lasted a year, but the second one went for just over 2. They emptied out during the first Summer and never refilled. I don't remember if it ever rained or not though.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside