Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So...I bought this cage from an elf...  (Read 2194 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So...I bought this cage from an elf...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:07 pm »

Can they be turned into barons as well?

Dunno, but I can't assign my tame GCS mayor an office, so I doubt it. Was quite hilarious to imagine him conversing with a trade liasion, though.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:13 pm »

Can they be turned into barons as well?

Dunno, but I can't assign my tame GCS mayor an office, so I doubt it. Was quite hilarious to imagine him conversing with a trade liasion, though.

I beg to differ.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »

I find they will generally use an office once occupied by someone, but vacated (say by an unfortunate accident). I used to keep my werewolf baroness chained up in the throne room, and unchained when the liason came, but for some reason she always took him to the crappy ex-manager's office to do all the business.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 12:12:03 am »

Okay, knowing that game coding can be kind of wonky, I have to ask if it's possible for the tigerman to eat without me butchering food.

I have about a dozen caged goblins, stripped of all armor and weapons. Will he be able to eat them?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 12:31:13 am »

Tigermen will only eat uncooked meat, drink only fresh water, and will never use a well. They have no preferences, and so will never issue a mandate. They can't perform any labors, regardless of any skills they may have. They will, however, still socialize with other dwarves, and will hang out in meeting areas.

Actually, they only socialize with other tigermen.  Mine wouldn't gain any social skills until such time as I got other tigermen.

Water isn't too hard to manage:  just make a dwarven bathtub and then mark it as a water source.  Meat, too, isn't that bad so long as you butcher one of your useless animals every so often.  Or just stock up on meat from the caravans.  I never had a problem supplying it, personally.

The bigger problem is that tigermen do nothing and have nothing to do but breed, so they can suck up your FPS over time, which is a pity.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 12:32:25 am »

Okay, knowing that game coding can be kind of wonky, I have to ask if it's possible for the tigerman to eat without me butchering food.

I have about a dozen caged goblins, stripped of all armor and weapons. Will he be able to eat them?

No, because you can't butcher them (they're sentients) and they won't just eat corpses; you need to have actual meat.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 12:36:17 am »

Tigermen will only eat uncooked meat, drink only fresh water, and will never use a well. They have no preferences, and so will never issue a mandate. They can't perform any labors, regardless of any skills they may have. They will, however, still socialize with other dwarves, and will hang out in meeting areas.

Actually, they only socialize with other tigermen.  Mine wouldn't gain any social skills until such time as I got other tigermen.

Water isn't too hard to manage:  just make a dwarven bathtub and then mark it as a water source.  Meat, too, isn't that bad so long as you butcher one of your useless animals every so often.  Or just stock up on meat from the caravans.  I never had a problem supplying it, personally.

The bigger problem is that tigermen do nothing and have nothing to do but breed, so they can suck up your FPS over time, which is a pity.
Really? I thought they could be mayor. I mayor with no likes/dislikes is perfect for people who don't like mandates.

I'm thinking of modding them to be more easy to manage. A simple [INTELLIGENT] tag, and removing the [CARNIVORE] tag might just do the trick. IF this cannot be done, I'm just going to put him in my volcano and drop goblins on him occasionally. If he won't eat them, then he's too stupid to live.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:22 am »

Really? I thought they could be mayor. I mayor with no likes/dislikes is perfect for people who don't like mandates.

I'm thinking of modding them to be more easy to manage. A simple [INTELLIGENT] tag, and removing the [CARNIVORE] tag might just do the trick. IF this cannot be done, I'm just going to put him in my volcano and drop goblins on him occasionally. If he won't eat them, then he's too stupid to live.

Oh, they *can* be mayor.  I never said they couldn't.  All I was trying to say is that they didn't seem to gain any social skills until I had other tigermen for them to talk to.  They most certainly can become no-mandate mayors for your fortress.

The meat was never really an issue for me.  I just bought enough of it off of the caravans that I never had trouble.  I always have such huge supplies of food that it's insane.  And I could have butchered any of a hundred or more animals in the communal cage if I had wanted to.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:57 am »

He's too much trouble if the nest elf caravan comes through without a female for baby-making. If elves are sans-tigerwomen, this abomination is wrestling naked goblins for the rest of his life.

I just need to build him a water supply inside the volcano pit I've been using for a torture room.

This game has done something to me.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 04:15:22 am »

He's too much trouble if the nest elf caravan comes through without a female for baby-making. If elves are sans-tigerwomen, this abomination is wrestling naked goblins for the rest of his life.

I just need to build him a water supply inside the volcano pit I've been using for a torture room.

This game has done something to me.

Yeah.

Something awesome.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 07:19:45 am »

Do dwarves preferentially go for higher value food? If so then your raw meat should be safe as long as you have some good plump helmet spawn seed roasts lieing about.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 [2]