Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So...I bought this cage from an elf...  (Read 2200 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So...I bought this cage from an elf...
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »

and I think they're trying to kill me...or get me arrested for slavery:

"Yemeni Silairu Stray Tigerman Clothier (tame)"
""An orange striped man with a tiger head. His hair is striped orange and black. His skin is dark brown. His eyes are yellow. He is gigantic."

Should I let him out? Will he start making clothes for me?

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
Re: So...I bought this cage from an elf...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:41 pm »

What he'll most likely do is wander around your forts meeting hall and then die of hunger or thirst since Tigermen only eat meat and drink water.  Also he won't make clothes for you.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »

Elves have been slavers for as long as there have been sentient creatures for them to enslave.

If you let him out, I don't think he will do anything, just stand around socializing, and then eventually become elected mayor.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:28:00 pm »

Tigermen make great mayors because they do nothing but wander around your dining hall socializing and making friends. Just be sure to have plenty of meat and a water source that isn't a well or booze.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:28:48 pm »

What he'll most likely do is wander around your forts meeting hall and then die of hunger or thirst since Tigermen only eat meat and drink water.  Also he won't make clothes for you.
What if I butcher something and forbid the meat so dwarves won't touch it? I'd like to keep him around as a goblin wrestler.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »

A mayor? OMG, that's awesome!

It's even better than being a goblin groper in my goblin torture machine.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:54:12 pm »

Tigermen will only eat uncooked meat, drink only fresh water, and will never use a well. They have no preferences, and so will never issue a mandate. They can't perform any labors, regardless of any skills they may have. They will, however, still socialize with other dwarves, and will hang out in meeting areas.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:28 pm »

Tigermen will only eat uncooked meat, drink only fresh water, and will never use a well. They have no preferences, and so will never issue a mandate. They can't perform any labors, regardless of any skills they may have. They will, however, still socialize with other dwarves, and will hang out in meeting areas.
Will it work if I forbid uncooked meat? I feed my dwarves mostly eggs, and so I need to cook everything in sight. Having raw meat around is nearly an impossible quest.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »

I think that if you forbid meat, the tigermen won't eat it either.  But you can easily go into the Kitchen menu and disable the cooking of meat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »

I think that if you forbid meat, the tigermen won't eat it either.  But you can easily go into the Kitchen menu and disable the cooking of meat.
Oh yeah. Thanks!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »

If you can't get enough fresh meat to account for your dwarves eating it all you could assign everyone to burrows that don't include your fresh meat storage area which you set to a burrows for your tigerman.
Or maybe drop your meat down a pit and only unlock the door when you need to feed the tiger...
or just butcher lots of cats constantly so you can't run out.
Question, will they eat meat that's been put into a barrel?
Will dwarves eat fresh uncooked meat?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:03:46 pm »

If you can't get enough fresh meat to account for your dwarves eating it all you could assign everyone to burrows that don't include your fresh meat storage area which you set to a burrows for your tigerman.
Or maybe drop your meat down a pit and only unlock the door when you need to feed the tiger...

Dwarves will not eat uncooked meat I think.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 10:13:44 pm »

Would raw fish work? That counts as meat, right? I have a tonne of the stuff, and plan to liberate any imprisoned tigermen I find from now on.

Of course I will then murder the traders, make totems out of their skulls and try to sell them to the next lot of traders. And the next, and the next...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 10:28:10 pm »

Dwarves will not eat uncooked meat I think.

Dwarves will quite readily eat uncooked meat. As a matter of fact, cooked meat is no longer considered meat by the game, instead being considered a 'prepared meal'.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »

Can they be turned into barons as well?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 
Pages: [1] 2