Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Capybaras "swimming" in a brook?  (Read 8911 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capybaras "swimming" in a brook?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 05:23:19 am »

You're trying to apply real world common sense to DF physics. Yes, we should acknowledge that the capys are doing something impossible in the real world. But they're in DF.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:40:43 am »

I had this problem too. Capybaramen spawned in the brook and never left. Ultimately I had to channel out large part of the brook "floor", they eventually wandered out of the brook after that.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »

"Brooks" are just 4-width floors above tiles filled with 7/7 water. The water itself is entirely "passable", so once you dug those channels the capys were given free access to the luscious water below.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

Those floor tiles are not normal DF floors though, as said above the important difference being that they act like Fortifications to liquids.  You can drain water into a brook without channeling the surface.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 05:45:01 am »

Capture and tame them. Who doesn't enjoy gigantic guinea pigs?!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »

Those floor tiles are not normal DF floors though, as said above the important difference being that they act like Fortifications to liquids.  You can drain water into a brook without channeling the surface.
Also known as "natural microcline-colored floor grates over a river."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 03:40:38 pm »

but I tend to make use of the beasties I kill so unfortunately turning the lakes to obsidian just isn't gonna work this time :-[
I remember my Forgotten Beast Obsidianizer...  you could dig their remains right out of the rock and they'd be taken straight to the butcher shop.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2]