Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly Question from a man who has not played in a long time  (Read 1107 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silly Question from a man who has not played in a long time
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:16:37 am »

I have a certain silly problem... I didn't play Dwarf Fortress in quite some time and I actually forgot the key for creature list (the list that shows every creature in the game area). I can't seem to find it on the key list and to be honest I feel kinda dumb :(.

Normally that wouldn't be a problem but apparently on my embark I got myself into an ELEPHANT INFESTED DOOM and now I can't find the elephants ;P. Not sure if they left the map or are they just hiding somewhere. Hence I'm asking for your help :)
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Question from a man who has not played in a long time
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:19:20 am »

Hit the u key ;-)
That should solve the prolbem (they are bellow your dorfs or "above" if you key press up or page up).

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:20:09 am »

just to make you feel dumber, the u stands for 'units'..
just thought that might help you remember, lol
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:48:07 am »

I was so sure I pressed it  :'( I'm duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb

*runs away crying*
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:02 am »

Seems there's skill decay in RL as well :D

Funfact: had exactly the same problem as you OP when I restarted playing recently, and I'm a real veteran (played all major versions extensively, including 2D).  So don't feel bad  :)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:57:17 am »

Each time i take the game up again i have trouble doing anything untill i remember that i need to change the keybindings to match what i used to use. :P
specifically using escape to exit menus i find terribly frustrating
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 12:15:55 pm »

just to make you feel dumber, the u stands for 'units'..
just thought that might help you remember, lol
I think you mean 'u' stands for 'urists' :D
Soaplent green is goblins!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »

Normally that wouldn't be a problem but apparently on my embark I got myself into an ELEPHANT INFESTED DOOM and now I can't find the elephants ;P. Not sure if they left the map or are they just hiding somewhere. Hence I'm asking for your help :)

Why do Elephants paint their toenails red?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:57:56 pm »

elephant toenails are much larger than cherries, silly elephants.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »

I thought their nails were red due to them being stained BY THE BLOOD OF THEIR ENEMIES.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!