Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: mooding logs to stop being wood  (Read 1124 times)

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
mooding logs to stop being wood
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:01:50 am »

/scroll down if you dont want to see random rambling about the back story of the question.

So, Im all around this idea of building a human fortress above ground, complete with farms, stone towns and wooden houses for the pesants. Now my main problem is the lack of wood to build a sizable town quickly. Due to embarking in a woodlands plains area I have litle wood to cut arround me, probably just enough for 3/4 houses, wich isent enough.

So I went and searched arround until I found a mod which added a sawmill. However, by experimentation, all this did was multiply logs by 10, efectively creating a endless supply of wood from just two logs. Now, this wasent what I had in mind, so I came up with the idea to change the raws to make all logs be of a difrent material, a custom one at that, and mod in a tree tipe that didnt spawn anywere, renamed them planks and made them the sole user of [material template: wood] , creating a new material template "tree" and made all other trees that template. then I changed the reaction of the sawmill to use tree to produce wood. This didnt work, and came with the added bug of humans using barrels as logs...

So questions are:

1- how do I cange the properties of planks to be considered something else (than wood)?

2- Is it possible to make cut trees drop more than one log? (its a possible solution to my dilema afterall)
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: mooding logs to stop being wood
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:59 am »

You could modifiy the sawmill to produce wooden block rather than wood. That way, no more infinite supply, but you can still have much more construction material.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:14:37 am »

Well.... Yes your rigth, dont know how I missed the possibility  :-[

The question now is... Can floors be built out of blocks?

another thing, what's the line I must put in the raws to make the product wooden_blocks  ?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:17:37 am by Mobotium »

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:35:53 am »

Sure - you can use blocks for any construction. They are faster than using raw contruction materials (stone, logs etc..), and actually increase the value of the construction due to the extra detailing put into them.

I also feel your pain - making wooden villages is A LOT of hard work. Throw in some wildlife like those badger boars and you've got yourself a bunch of panicing dwarves hiding in a 3x3 half built loghouse. ;D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

Add in 20+ emigrations waves, goblin ambushes, hippies who dont like you  destroying 300+ trees a season and lots of rain and you have caldron of FUN  ;D

Humm, though if anyone knows what I must place in the raws for for it to give me blocks of wood please say it. Having no luck figuring it out  :(

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:57:18 am »

Go into plant_standard.txt and find the raws for the trees.  Chance the line [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE] to specify a different material.  It's probably hard-coded for trees to drop logs when cut down, but you could change the logs to be a different material.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

Go into plant_standard.txt and find the raws for the trees.  Chance the line [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE] to specify a different material.  It's probably hard-coded for trees to drop logs when cut down, but you could change the logs to be a different material.

yes, thats what I did initialy, didnt work out so well...

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:47:16 am »

Because there is no way to get a tree to drop anything that isn't a log, your only recourse is to remove the carpenter's shop from your civilization's entity tokens and create a custom workshop.

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:WOODSHOP]
[NAME:Woodshop]
[NAME_COLOR:6:0:1]
[DIM:3:3]
[WORK_LOCATION:2:2]
[BUILD_LABOR:CARPENTER]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_R]
[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:' ':' ':150]
[TILE:0:2:' ':' ':'/']
[TILE:0:3:'-':' ':' ']
[COLOR:0:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:' ':' ':'=']
[TILE:1:2:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:1:3:' ':' ':150]
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:'-':' ':8]
[TILE:2:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:2:3:' ':150:' ']
[COLOR:2:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:6:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:150:' ':8]
[TILE:3:2:' ':' ':8]
[TILE:3:3:' ':240:' ']
[COLOR:3:1:6:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:6:7:0]
[COLOR:3:3:0:0:0:7:0:1:0:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

Since your idea is to get more wood from fewer trees, you want a process that turns logs into boards. You can make boards using the tool entry.

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOARDS]
[NAME:board:boards]
[VALUE:1]
[HARD_MAT]
[TILE:22]
[SIZE:2000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]

You can use your new building to create these tools.

[REACTION:SAW_BOARDS]
[NAME:saw logs into boards]
[BUILDING:WOODSHOP:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:4:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOARDS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:CARPENTER]

While you're at it, go ahead and make a reaction to create wooden blocks the same way.

[REACTION:SAW_BLOCKS]
[NAME:saw logs into blocks]
[BUILDING:WOODSHOP:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

And finally, go back and re-enter all of the jobs a carpenter's shop is normally responsible for.

[REACTION:MAKE_BEDS]
[NAME:make wooden beds]
[BUILDING:WOODSHOP:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BOARDS:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

Once you've gone through and made nest boxes, bins, barrels, buckets, hatch covers, doors, and a terrifyingly long array of other items, you will have a carpentry shop that essentially gives you four boards for every log. You can go on to do the same thing to the craftsman's workshop and bowyer's shop, but it will be fine if you decide not to. You can even make the sawing logs and blocks thing give you branches, which are a tool you could use for arrows, bows, and smaller crafts.

So now you have a carpenter's shop that will really stretch wood production. What are some other ways you can ease the burden? Try making a wheat plant that can be milled into flour or processed into a tool called straw hay, and give the craftsman's workshop a reaction to make straw pallets instead of beds. You could do also do a reaction using cloth and feathers or straw to create a divan, which would work like a bed.

There may be a few bugs in the raws I posted here. I didn't bother testing them.

It's also a good idea to build houses by channeling out a bottom floor and building a wooden floor a z-level above it to create a basement. When you start the house this way, you can slap several down relatively quickly and stick beds down there while the rest of the structure is built. Once the family moves upstairs, you can use the basement for food storage etc. You can also save time by making longhouses and inns that house ten or more individuals at once. You can even do a sort of mead-hall at the beginning, where everyone lives communally until you have enough labor and supplies for the commoners to settle away from your ever-expanding palace.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:03:38 am »

Hummm, a bit more complex than I had hoped but I guess its better this way. Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:06:29 am by Mobotium »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:34:36 pm »

I've got a slightly simpler sawmill in my Corrosion Mod (shameless advertising *cough *cough)

It makes the logs into blocks right off the workshop, which can be built for walls and floors. If you want to make them into beds or such, either cut down a new tree or use Koji's method above to make them into every kind of furniture.

workshop
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

reaction

relevant entity data

Keep in mind that wooden blocks cannot be stored in the block stockpile, instead, do what I did and create a reaction that burns the blocks down to charcoal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:39:05 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:49 pm »

I'm probably kicking a dead thread, but why not remove the [WOOD] or such tag from the WOOD_TEMPLATE, and then have a reaction that makes 'Wood' blocks at a sawmill.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »

Actually that's not a bad idea !!c!!

My current concept is to mod the wood template to NOT be wood.  I will then make a custom reaction using one of the sawmills out there as a template.  This reaction will take non-wood trees and turn them into actually-wood boards.  Then I could make a reaction that turns boards into blocks.

The question I have is: If WOOD_TEMPLATE isn't wood anymore, how does one select everything made from it as a REAGENT in a reaction?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:59:53 pm »

My understanding was that making the wood template not wood doesn't work because the game looks for objects that are logs, and not just logs that are made of wood. There's no way of stopping trees from producing logs, so it's essentially impossible to get around. The closest you can get is making something turn logs into blocks as per above.

Edit: Now that I've re-read the thread, I notice that this had already been said.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:01:33 pm »

Logs are what I want.

I want the ability to turn every log into something that DOES have the [WOOD] tag, called a "board", which is then used in place of wood.

This way I can take 1 Log and turn it into 10 Boards.  It's the sawmill without the ability to create infinite wood.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »

Yes, but when you tell the game to make something that needs wood, it looks for anything that's a log. It doesn't matter if the log is wood or not; you'll be able to make beds and training axes and buckets and whatever out of it anyway. Removing the WOOD tag from the wood template is therefore ineffectual.
Pages: [1] 2