Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor bug - private office not private  (Read 430 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minor bug - private office not private
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

I made an office for my manager. I installed a table and two chairs, imagining that he'd have meetings there with important people. I designated the Study off one of the chairs, making sure it filled up the entire room, and assigned it to the manager.

But even though it's not a dining room, other dwarves will freely wander in there with their food, sit down in the unassigned chair, and eat their food. They leave bones and seeds all over their manager's office!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Minor bug - private office not private
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:42:00 am »

I think that's normal. They don't use the nobles' chair. They just use unused objects which happen to be in the nobles' office. Viva la revolucion!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Morkilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:44:00 pm »

I wonder if it will be possible to make keys and locked doors in the future. Assign a door to a dwarf and only he will be able to open it - this would solve so many problems with hauling issues as well. NO, I don't WANT this exploratory tunnel cleared of stone, thanks.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

While keys could make it in at some point, simply emulating "bio scanners" in doors same way it's done for workshops could do it better. A more elaborate interface would be required for that, and the already-glitchy pathing will see even more obstacles to its workings.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »

Being able to press [P] on a door to assign it like a workshop would do the trick nicely. Then only the dwarves you specifically allow would be able to access that door. It's not like forbidden workshops and such are actually locked, either. You're just telling certain dwarves not to use them; no keys needed.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

that's an extremely excelent idea re: giving doors ownership.