Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Outcasts of Eballor(Community)  (Read 804 times)

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Outcasts of Eballor(Community)
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »

Appears I got everything straightened -- some sites didn't like me embarking, for whatever reasons.  I've managed to get halfway through spring with no issues, so hopefully all will be will. 

In any case, the story here is basically the same.  Banishment/penal colony with some twists.

Started with all peasants on a site with enough to survive on, but not more than that.  No starting supplies at all, tropical savannah with a brook running through the middle of it, sparse/moderate vegetation, untamed wilds.

As per the other thread, here is the Eballor bylaws/constitution.

I.  Nothing automated:  dwarfpower must run everything in the forest.  No power structures, no traps, etc.

II.  Apprenticeship and common labor:  All non-legendary dwarves have hauling, healthcare, etc. on at all times.  Legendary dwarves, due to their sheer awesomeness, remain above such things.  Learning a new skill(one below level 2/Adequate) requires a teacher of Competent or higher skill.

IIa.  The most basic skills are exceptions:  Mining, Plant Gathering, Wood Cutting, Fishing, etc.

IIb.  Training is done 1:1, one dwarf at a time, with the exception of military dwarves, who can train/spar with three dwarves at a time.

III.  No trading or otherwhise interacting with(except in battle defending the fortress of course) with any outside races, including other dwarves.

IV.  Classified megaproject to be further explained at a more appropriate time. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:07:13 pm by Zorromorph »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outcasts of Eballor(Community)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:02:47 am »

Hmm, interesting idea. Hope you at least bring an axe and a pick. Otherwise it won't work.

Either way, feel free to dwarf me. I'd like to take up woodcutting, carpentry, bowyer, and woodcrafting. Not sure how the teacher requirement will work if we all start out as peasants, but I suppose time will tell.

and don't forget screenshots!
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Outcasts of Eballor(Community)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:04:39 pm »

Will do -- you'll get the first migrant with any of those skills. 

Good point on the starting eq though, I assumed(incorrectly, it turns out) that blacksmiths still brought anvils with them, for example.  Generated a few new worlds until I found another decent workable spot, bringing pick/axe/anvil/a small amount of seeds with this time(not to be used until an appropriately skilled dwarf arrives of course). 

Here is our embark location: