Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of site should I embark on for the giant pit fortress project?

Forest
- 22 (13%)
Desert
- 27 (16%)
Badlands
- 21 (12.4%)
Glacier
- 20 (11.8%)
Ocean
- 19 (11.2%)
Lake
- 12 (7.1%)
Mountain
- 20 (11.8%)
Volcano
- 28 (16.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: April 23, 2011, 10:59:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Surface mining Fortress project  (Read 13268 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Surface mining Fortress project
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:58 pm »

LISTEN UP, YOU BASTARDS!

Okay, I found a place I could agree with. It's a beach desert (no surface water; I need to dig underground) with a volcano in the dead center of the map. It's mid-summer and I'm currently covering up the volcano to make it into a forge workshop. I already have a magma smelter and forge set up, and am currently churning out barrels and bins to store things in. Now I need a visualizer that will actually work and won't crash my computer like Overseer did.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »

Sounds awesome. Could always just try stonesense for a visualizer.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

LISTEN UP, YOU BASTARDS!

Might as well expect that every time I have an update about the project.

I'm now in my first Winter. The volcano has been sealed up, and now I'm punching holes in it to make forges, furnaces and the like. I'm also figuring out where I want my tower to stand and where the "underground" farm will be. The forge ramp and the current safehouse are in close proximity. I'm right now walling off the safehouse since I retrieved my first caravan. That means I will soon be getting thieves and ambushes.

My military stands out with 4 miners, which should be suitable for taking down any thieves or ambushes, should it come to it. The most threatening wildlife in the area so far have been two-humped camels, who have stayed out of my way, so I have no real reason to kill them apart from some meat.

Meat will be an issue in the future, since I can't hold most livestock due to the lack of a steady growth of feed. I'm singling out poultry for being the best preferable option next to dogs and cats, which I have an abundance of due to bringing two pairs of each with me.

The mountain around the volcano is slowly being shaved away. I should have the next two layers removed by next summer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:24:08 pm by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:33 am »

I have a sudden urge to dig out an entire 10x10 embark to the magma sea, then build a fortress from the center outwards, complete with magma waterfalls.

Anyone have a Supercomputer I could borrow for a few decades?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:44 am »

I have a sudden urge to dig out an entire 10x10 embark to the magma sea, then build a fortress from the center outwards, complete with magma waterfalls.

Anyone have a Supercomputer I could borrow for a few decades?

Please don't copy my project. No one likes a copycat.

LISTEN UP, YOU BASTARDS!

I'm now in the middle of summer in my fortress. No one has died yet. That's good news. No Gobs or Bolds. That's also good news. I shaved away the fifth layer around the volcano. About 25 more Z-levels to go until I hit the base of the mountain range.

Now that I'm shaving away progressively larger layers of sand and mountain, my progress is starting to slow. I'm working on creating a roof over the forge to protect the dwarves from invaders eagles HORRIBLE SUNLIGHT!!!!!

With 42 dwarves now *EDIT: 43; a dwarf was born during my posting. Happy Birthday!*, I'm trying to prevent my fortress from collapsing due to a sudden population explosion. On the plus side, I will have plenty of hands for miners and masonry. The official work floor is being constructed, and the "underground" location is being isolated from the rest of the mountain and walled off to the section of the fortress that will become the tower just southeast of the volcano. The next plan will be to find out where I want to make surface crops, and how to irrigate it, and make the residential tower for my dwarves. They're getting tired of sleeping on sand.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:41:30 am by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2011, 12:57:39 am »

How about some screens, it would be interesting to see the horrible ecological damage massive improvement over nature thus far. Visualizer unnecessary just zoom out a bit and print screen? :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:22 pm »

The problem with that is that it doesn't show multiple layers. That's why I wanted a visualizer. I'll post one in a minute.

There we go.

All the dwarves came out for a group shot.

The construction to the far south is the work floor, and the roof over that is complete. To the very north of that is the stockpile tower, and below that is the interim dining hall and permanent underground farm plot. The volcano has a large ramp going straight up, and the roof over the magma forgery is almost complete.

The residential district will be built to the east once I finish carving away that area. I'm also building roads that dwarves can walk on so none end up getting trapped on the mountainside and wander off to an unsafe side of the map. The thieves arrived, and are arriving by the truckload.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

The problem with that is that it doesn't show multiple layers. That's why I wanted a visualizer. I'll post one in a minute.

There we go.

-snip-

All the dwarves came out for a group shot.

The construction to the far south is the work floor, and the roof over that is complete. To the very north of that is the stockpile tower, and below that is the interim dining hall and permanent underground farm plot. The volcano has a large ramp going straight up, and the roof over the magma forgery is almost complete.

The residential district will be built to the east once I finish carving away that area. I'm also building roads that dwarves can walk on so none end up getting trapped on the mountainside and wander off to an unsafe side of the map. The thieves arrived, and are arriving by the truckload.
You should punch a hole in the side of the volcano, and then let magma flow across the ocean! It would help lag your project by lagging more getting rid of water that rushes in.

I am dorf, and we are made of win!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2011, 01:44:00 pm »

There is no ocean. There is no surface water in the embark area. The shoreline is to the east of where I embarked.
Quest Complete! 41/31

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2011, 07:07:19 am »

... GPU 193?
dude!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »

Quest Complete! 41/31

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2011, 12:05:54 am »

LISTEN UP, YOU BASTARDS!

Near the end of my 4th year at the fortress, which has now become a barony. My baron electorate likes Copper and Green Glass, which there is no shortage of in this place.

The ambushes are getting more frequent, so all available hands are now working on making Basalt blocks to build the main tower to keep all my stuff in. The probability for a powerful tantrum spiral is all set, since all the dwarves meet in a very confined space when they're idle. Most dwarves are Talented in their social skills (save for the Cook, who is Professional), and you should see what this has done to their Soul attributes.

I'm also digging deeper underground to find some water for when my dwarves get injured. Finding a lot of metals in the process.

I'm curious. Can animals eat underground fungus?
Quest Complete! 41/31

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:25 am »

I'm curious. Can animals eat underground fungus?

Yes. Just be careful to move the animals from pasture to pasture every once in a while or they will starve (not necessarily a bad thing).

Also, post a save maybe?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2011, 12:47:10 am »

The initial save or my current progress?
Quest Complete! 41/31

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2011, 01:09:56 am »

... GPU 193?
dude!

What?
I was referring to your GFX temperature in the screenshot :s
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7