Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What kind of site should I embark on for the giant pit fortress project?

Forest
- 22 (13%)
Desert
- 27 (16%)
Badlands
- 21 (12.4%)
Glacier
- 20 (11.8%)
Ocean
- 19 (11.2%)
Lake
- 12 (7.1%)
Mountain
- 20 (11.8%)
Volcano
- 28 (16.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: April 23, 2011, 10:59:35 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Surface mining Fortress project  (Read 13281 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Surface mining
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 10:59:57 pm »

I posted a poll.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Surface mining Fortress project
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 01:08:42 am »

badlands are probably best, maybe desert.
I'm doing this partially in a forest.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 02:25:37 am »

2 pics of a surface mine.

Heroes of might and magic 5 (Dwarven city).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
IRL Russian diamond mine.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surface mining
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 03:58:52 am »

Definition of strip mining. Right there.

I like to preserve the landscape when I build my fortress. Sure I build some walls and whatnot, but I really avoid disfiguring the wider area. The exact opposite of strip mining.

And yes, that means I don't dig or cut trees beyond the boundaries of my fortress... I am a bit on an dwarf environmentalist, so to speak.

Does that make me an elf?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 04:01:20 am »

BURN THE NON-BELIEVER!

:P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 05:34:16 am »

Properly dwarven open pit mining involves mining it all out, channeling out the edges, and pulling a lever to simultaneously deconstruct all supports.

And then making a sandwich while your frames are resolving. Or perhaps a 9 course meal.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 06:43:04 am »

IRL Russian diamond mine.
HOLY SHIT, who puts a city next to a hole like that?
Crazy russians.
"525 m deep, 1200 meters in diameter. The air zone within this mine is closed for helicopters - a few accidents occurred when they were "sucked in" by downward air flow. "
D:
AWESOME EMBARK LOCATION!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:46:31 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 09:37:50 am »

No no, strip mining is much easier and convenient now. When you channel out a section, it makes a ramp instead of a void, until there's a space between edges. I'm doing a small scale test in my current fortress, and it's working out very nicely. I can assign them to clear out an entire layer and leave them to their own devices while my attentions are focused elsewhere. The next issue is what to do once I hit the caverns. It will probably take a lot of micromanagement and floor construction to do it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:39:40 am by Lost Requiem »
Quest Complete! 41/31

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:50 am »

I'm going to be trying something like his in my next fort. A giant cylinder 100 tiles in diameter and about 30-40z deep with my fort all around the inside edge or the central pillar. I'm going to try and do it below an aquifer though so I can have some sweet-ass waterfalls.

That being said try this:
1) embark on an ocean
2) drain a big area and start digging from the ocean floor
3) slap a clear glass roof over the top then get rid of the pumps so you're underwater
4) get drunk and yell at fish
5) ?????
6) profit
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:38 am »

I'm going to be trying something like his in my next fort. A giant cylinder 100 tiles in diameter and about 30-40z deep with my fort all around the inside edge or the central pillar. I'm going to try and do it below an aquifer though so I can have some sweet-ass waterfalls.

That being said try this:
1) embark on an ocean
2) drain a big area and start digging from the ocean floor
3) slap a clear glass roof over the top then get rid of the pumps so you're underwater
4) get drunk and yell at fish
5) ?????
6) profit
this man's a genius!
I've already done something like that :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 11:42:35 am »

Ooh! Ooh! Tell us! I remember there being a succession game where someone tried to build Rapture. Don't think it ever got anywhere though due to the usual limitations of DF players ie. We don't have nearly enough livers to process the booze consumed irl during play.

But yea, a big glassed over cylinder that goes all the way from the ocean floor to the fun house. You can go up top and make faces at the fish, stand behind clear glass walls in the caverns and moon FBs or go down below and give clowns the finger.

Now that I think about it you could dig another hole next to your fortress and drain the ocean into the fun house, creating a bigass maelstrom and like...throw goblins down it.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 11:53:28 am »

Currently strip mining a site that includes a 12 level waterfall on a 4 pronged river (river entry/exit on each side of the map - only one branch has the fall).

My plan is to take the whole thing down to the 3 branches of the river level, and pave over the river branch containing the water fall.  A giant tube of shooting water onto the map...

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »

Deserts are winning. You all want to see me get all Egyptian with this thing, don't you?

I don't blame you. A Sahara-esque desert is basically a blank architectural canvas.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 02:26:07 pm »

Has anybody actually tried this?

For the disengaged, surface mining is where you carve away an entire layer of rock instead of mining shafts and tunnels. I'm thinking about doing it in my current fortress. Why?
I've mentioned elsewhere recently, so I won't repeat the details, my Valley Of The Kings megaproject (40D, perhaps to be resurrected in a 2010 version, with some adjustments of the cavern numbers/separations).  Although this was accompanied by a supporting 'side fort' mostly traditionally dug into the side-walls (containing everything "productive" about the fortress, as opposed to the merely aesthetic 'strip-mined/quarried' megaproject site itself) I think generally it fits with what you've suggested.  Apart from necessary enclosures (bedrooms, etc, which could always be scratch-built onto whatever current "floor" exists, to be removed in favour of lower scratch-built rooms elsewhere when later needing to dig away those bits of the open-cast area as well) I'm sure we something quite extreme could be done.

(I'm not sure about keeping crop farming going, or even grazing livestock, but a bird-based food producing system should be perfectly possible to maintain and move downwards.  I might even give this a go, at one point.  Could even punch through the various cavern layers, at least until hitting a magma level, with a bit of careful consideration.)

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »

Kufu's pyramid on top of the central pillar plox.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7