Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: On Touhou: Where do I start?  (Read 9303 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: On Touhou: Where do I start?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 03:12:49 am »

You know, I think Hina's got my favorite theme out of the lot.  Marisa has awesome music like everywhere, and Mystia's can get awesomely spooky-ominous with the right treatment.

...I've only tried the fighting games and Mystical Chain, myself.  I don't think I'd do well at the whole danmaku thing, but I don't want to play on anything besides Lunatic.  Lunatic has the prettiest patterns.  :<

Concealed the Conclusion looks really cool, too, but as I understand it's really hard.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:50:19 am by Farce »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 04:04:25 am »

No, you want extra for pretty patterns.

Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 02:26:10 pm »

Did you guys try Ten Desires?

I don't know how I feel about the dying mechanic, but the trance mechanic overall is pretty neat, as well as (if the wiki is right) the closer you are to the boss, the more spirits come out from them.

My favorite games in the series so far are the StB-style games, but I'm still hoping that the next one will be a PoFV-style game, because I'm really starting to suck when it comes to random bullets.

If you really like shmups, you should also try out Samidare, Triggerheart Exelica, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun (good luck finding this one, I only played it once at a friend's), Gradius V, and Einhander.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »

I have yet to play or even get Ten Desires.

That made me very sad.

Got PCB though, which is good, and I made some real progress on IN, which is good as well.

I do have a question though.

I remember someone in the happy thread mentioning if your bar thing is closer to youkai, you get more time points from grazing, but when you're human you get time by bashing bosses and the magic-circley fairies.

Could someone explain what this bar is, and how it's affected?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

I remember someone in the happy thread mentioning if your bar thing is closer to youkai, you get more time points from grazing, but when you're human you get time by bashing bosses and the magic-circley fairies.

Unlike the full games, you can get the demos (which is what TD is at the moment) off of ZUN's website.

IIRC you move the human/youkai bar by just shooting enemies- shooting with the human party member slides it towards the human side and etc. Don't you only get the bonus points if it's at either extreme, though? (been awhile since i played IN)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »

Okay, thanks for clearing up the confusion. :)
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2011, 07:55:22 am »

That made me very sad.

Got PCB though, which is good, and I made some real progress on IN, which is good as well.

I do have a question though.

When you're full human, you get time points from damaging stuff. When you're full youkai, you get points from grazing, but only against bosses and mid-bosses.
You also get points for killing enemies without killing their minions.

So against normal enemies you'd stay human, and against bosses, midbosses, and anything with like 3 layers of minions you'd stay youkai (This is because minions block shots when you're human, and they get killed which wastes your precious points. You'd also want to switch back to human after they get defeated, for further point gathering when the normal enemies arrive)

Anyway, this should help.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:57:59 am by Darvi »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:05 am »

-snip-
Patcholi?
Argle fargle.

But yeah, the death thing I'm not too sure about, but when you can trance its good if there's a spellcard that your not happy with

(Stage 1 boss, last spellcard, hard. Be there.)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »

Patchouli has ballin' cards in StB, that's why I picked her.

I would have picked Marisa, because she has some of my favorite patterns and she's who I typically use in the "standard" games, but Marisa's a real name.

Ikaruga was really the only other shmup I "seriously" tried back then, and that was already taken.

I do not pride myself on my creativity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]