Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: On Touhou: Where do I start?  (Read 9302 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
On Touhou: Where do I start?
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »

I've always had a soft spot for the "bullet hell" genre as a kid, and now someone's convinced me to go and try the fabled and many-storied Touhou series.

Thing is, I have no feckin' idea as where I should begin.

What should I do? Play them all in order, or get game x y and z or whatever? How should I get them?

Some help would be much appreciated.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Touhou: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:32:39 pm »

Imperishable Night is generally considered the easiest, and is probably a good introduction to the series. There's an English version available, which also helps.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

sure start from the beginning, you will need a emulator to run the first four. I do suggest you play the fighting and photo-snapping games too.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »

I'm not a big fan of the mainline games because I always just ate the bullet vomit and then died, but the fighters are great fun.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:37:27 pm »

For the most part Touhou isn't as hard as it seems. It follows set patterns and other then "tricks" most long term bullet hell players don't find it particularly all that difficult.

It even shows you your center and gives you "Slow movement" which is usually the two ways the genre tries to make things more difficult (giving you an impossible to read center and making slow movement nearly impossible)

Mind you from anyone going into that genre it will seem impossible.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

Thanks for the quick replies, bromen.

Imperishable Night is generally considered the easiest, and is probably a good introduction to the series. There's an English version available, which also helps.

Okay, but is it free, or will my pirate-y skills have to be harnessed once more?

For the most part Touhou isn't as hard as it seems. It follows set patterns and other then "tricks" most long term bullet hell players don't find it particularly all that difficult.

It even shows you your center and gives you "Slow movement" which is usually the two ways the genre tries to make things more difficult (giving you an impossible to read center and making slow movement nearly impossible)

Mind you from anyone going into that genre it will seem impossible.

Right-o, I'll keep that in mind.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »

sure start from the beginning, you will need a emulator to run the first four. I do suggest you play the fighting and photo-snapping games too.

Missed this.

Heh, thanks, anyways.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

Emulator is for the first five.
If you want to give them a try, I have them plus emulator with the second one English patched.
Just send me a PM.
I find the second one is the easiest to get into.
Meanwhile, PCB and UFO are my favourites, even though they're not the easiest.
Also going to second the fighting and photo ones.
STB and Double Spoiler are great because it's just a bunch of boss battles and you can't shoot bullets, which makes for great evasion practice.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

Wow. I was about to make this exact same thread, because I want to try the games out after listening to this song.

http://endlessvideo.com/watch?v=4-QacmltD4g
Even the avatars expire eventually.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »

I started with The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, myself (#6, first game of the Windows series), since I wanted to try tackling them in order and hadn't known where to get the PC98 emulator.

Definitely seconding picking up the fighting/STB games, though, even if you don't like the danmaku scrollers.

I have a source for the games bookmarked, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, so either Google Fu it or I could PM you the link.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:24 pm »

Okay, so I'm going to unleash my UNLIMITED PIRATING WORKS and get Imperishable Night, but after I play the games that ein (thanks again, you magnificent bastard) passed to me.

Also noting down ESD.

Vielen Danke, Mein Herren.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »

Well, I have only played IN and EoSD....

I want to try out the fighting game.. And shoot the bullet sounds good for evasion.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:51 pm »

Keep in mind, the first isn't Danmaku shooter, it's Danmaku arkanoid.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »

Well, I have only played IN and EoSD....

I want to try out the fighting game.. And shoot the bullet sounds good for evasion.

For the fighting games, if you don't care about continuity (not that there's much to worry about), pick up Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (10.5), and Touhou Hisoutensoku (12.3, no official English name), then link the former to the latter.

And a word of warning- Shoot the Bullet is hard as balls. Make sure to take breaks so you don't tear your hair out.

@ein: How the hell'd you get a PC98 translated? This is relevant to my interests.

@strife: Try this on for size.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:14 pm »

The only actual English patch is for SoEW.
There's supposed to be one for HRtP, but it's incomplete and does more harm than help.
As for the rest of it, hunting down the roms was pretty tough, but getting a working emulator was the hardest part.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4