Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Time To Explain! - Paradox Platformer  (Read 1323 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
No Time To Explain! - Paradox Platformer
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »

So yeah.

There's a trailer there, as well as the Kickstarter for all your pledging needs. It looks like a bit of a mix between Braid and Super Meat Boy, with Braid's mechanical creativity and Super Meat Boy's twitchy difficulty. Like a puzzle game for people who think IWBTG is slow-paced. Also, it looks like the story involves plenty of time travel, which is nice.

If you pledge $5, you get a key at launch. If you pledge $25, you get beta access plus a level editor, and if your levels are good enough they become canon and you end up in the credits as a level designer.

Discuss.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Time To Explain! - Paradox Platformer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

I remember when this was a flash game. Not too long ago. The flash game was hilarious, but brief... but I really don't think the humor lends itself to a full-length game. It'd simply get annoying after a while.

For the flash game:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/558562

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07:15 pm »

I am not sure this is exactly where I want gaming to go.

It just seems a bit too forgetable like it was built out of just a few good jokes (That are boring by now to anyone who watches Adult Swim or Newgrounds), interesting boss battles, and extremely bland levels.

Though there seems to be quite the following... somehow... So I guess I am just not seeing the point, or I just have played too many similar games.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:52 pm »

Just played through the flash version, they're getting my $5.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48:48 pm »

I remember when this was a flash game. Not too long ago. The flash game was hilarious, but brief... but I really don't think the humor lends itself to a full-length game. It'd simply get annoying after a while.

Just played through that. I think I might agree. If they go the same route it could be interesting (and potentially hilarious) to see where it goes, but it might get annoying. We'll see I guess.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 10:55:20 pm »

should be interesting to look forward to, play the flash game, you would understand why it has a following.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:34:36 pm »

looks nice

but I dont play plataformers

they make me break things in tantrums

edit: hey playing the flash version... they totally ripped this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlRufeRbLwM#t=140
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:40:28 pm by Krelian »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »

I play Platformers but there needs to be more to them.

I think Retsupurae put it best when they said (summary): "Yes the game is harder, but because they made the ship harder to control" (commented on Dash Dash Panic)

Also the stages are soo lifeless with spikes everywhere just to take advantage of the above.

Honestly look at the video VERY carefully! and ignore the boss fights. This is "Barren emptyness with spikes everywhere" sort of game.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »

Yeah if they made the controls a little smoother I'd buy it. Otherwise, meh.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »

Well, looking at the video, it does not look nearly as hard as super meat boy or IWBTG. Not really saying that is a bad thing, but I feel the OP is a bit misleading.

Anyway. I would think about it for sure, it looks sorta interesting, and the flash game was quite hilarious the first time I played it.