Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-tile carvings in bas relief  (Read 792 times)

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-tile carvings in bas relief
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:50 pm »

There are sort of ways to do this in game, I've seen people build mosaics and bridges in homage to their PREFs, but something about seeing it hardcoded..

It would be cool to be able to designate a certain area of X size/shape to be engraved/carved in bas relief, so multiple tiles could be dedicated to whatever single event, image or topic the designer so desired. Bonus points if you can designate its size across multiple Z levels, so you can make massive roaring lion pillars carved in relief.

Dwarven architecture just feels like it has an intimate association with massive bas relief carvings. I'm bummed its not in the game. I guess I'm just going to have to smooth and engrave every tile of my megafort's pillars and play pretend.  :-\

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-tile carvings in bas relief
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »

Nice idea but it may be case of "too much coding work for small benefit"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:43 pm »

Nice idea but it may be case of "too much coding work for small benefit"

You're right, but as an aside, designations across multiple z levels would be worth the time and a good time to throw it in there. :X

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:46:20 pm »

And, if someone were to make a really detailed visualizer, they'd love having the extra information available. It could turn DF architecture into something that's truly awesome.