Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grazers V.25  (Read 1625 times)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Grazers V.25
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »

Skimming through the raws I can't find any real differences between V.23 and V.25 - but with my V.25 games my Water Buffalo are just starving, which they never did in the earlier versions of the game (same embark, but always a regenerated world kept from V.21 - only parameter changes is the mineral setting - morphology and biomes seem to be the same as they used to be). Anyone else noticing this, or is it just some strange coincidence or maybe even related changes in phoebus mod (but as said, related to grazing I haven't found any differences in the raws)?

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Grazers V.25
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:05:13 pm »

Depends on the embark. If you leave your water buffalo near the wagon and not in a pasture, it'll graze around the wagon. If there was no grass around there to begin with due to your embark, then, well, no wonder it starves.

Do you use pastures?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »

I am also having this problem, only with Yaks.

And it just happened all of a sudden. For three years, no problems. Then all of a sudden, they all started dying all at the same time, while they were grazing.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:22 pm »

But were they grazing? If you keep adding animals to a pasture, eventually it won't be able to keep up, especially if it's above ground so it started with ample provisions that don't really recover quickly.

This, or they were fighting and got infected wounds somehow from goring each other...
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »

You have to switch grazing land every few years because with a lot of grazers it gets depleted.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »

Or you could make it really large grazing land with not too many animals on it.

I dig out a 3 pace (shift+directional) x 3 pace area in my soil layer, the whole thing becomes a pasture... 960 tiles of regrowing moss and fungus.

Of course, you need soil for that, but hey, who doesn't have any?
This, and you can always dig out even more. How much space is there on a map? I'd estimate a 4x4 embark has like 180+ish squares of width and length, so a full soil layer dug out is... nearly forty thousand spots, I think.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »

Mh, I always had 2 to 3 areas where I shuffled my pastures zones through (from start) - all with grass on them and switched before they where depleted - and this is year 1 with just 3 Buffalo (cow/bull/and a juvenile) and I remember having much more grazers in earlier embarks (and over a longer period) - sigh, maybe I just slaughter them and see what will happen to my deer and sow (only other grazers besides the buffalo)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:37:32 pm »

According to this, water buffalo need 320 squares. What I do with my grazers is double what they need and cut out half the squares in a checkerboard pattern with a script so the uneaten squares seed the others. They don't stay in there all that strictly, but there's a lot less damage than I see without it.

I think there definitely has been a change between versions, though. I was testing a new grazer I added in my MLP mod, and since the wiki said babbies don't graze, I assigned the newborns to a few 1x1 pastures. They starved. The parents were above ground in checkerboard pastures and doing fine.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »

MLP Mod? Dear gods. I'm not sure if I'm afraid or intrigued. Have you posted this somewhere?
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »

Here's the topic on the modding forum with DFFD links. Version 1.1 is the upgraded version with zebras added, I'll be uploading the new version with evil and cave ponies(new creatures and civs), as well as six varieties of wheat worm and the grazer I was working on in a couple of days once I'm 100% sure it's stable and maybe made some changes for balance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:06:01 pm by Nidokoenig »

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:02:33 pm »

I have gotten into the habit of simply flooding the entire fortress once and let the annimals wander trough the corridors that way there will be plenty of grass (if you make shure you have a certain fortress style it doesn't allways work).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »

My forts often have stairs all over the place, and I've sometimes wondered if it might be wise to make it possible to flood the entire place and drain into a cavern, so that water trickling down the stairs will cause waterfalls all over, in case there's ever a happiness problem. Also, great training for medical dwarves when people inevitably slip. I dunno why I say dwarves or dorfs when I only play with ponies these days, but whatever.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:57 pm »

I just butcher everything. The only animals I keep around are poultry, which do not require grass.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

Ok, def. some new code.... I've saved those three via a change in the raws (just adding 11 infront of the 60 -> 1160) and once they where no longer hungry that was set back to 60.... and now, just a season after that they are beginning to starve again - though I've set a pasture zone with max. area possible..... I really don't know whats happening - in that pasture zone there are still enough dense grass tiles, I am not sure if it may be the pathfinding and that they now just move a few tiles and so are never reaching the fresh grass :/ (but I thought that was fixed some versions ago) [ok, so far they are just hungry and I am now trieing if that checkerboard design may be of some help]

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:22 pm »

Have you tried cutting down trees and having plants gathered? Post some pictures if you still can't solve it, maybe it's something obvious. Oh, and I put animals each in their own pasture, the heavy grazers can't waste time fighting each other. Maybe that's got something to do with it.
Pages: [1] 2