Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okay so I caged a Rutherer.. How can I train/tame it?  (Read 2203 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Okay so I caged a Rutherer.. How can I train/tame it?
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:15 am »

My soldiers chased a Rutherer into a cage trap and I got it, then someone hauled it up to my animal stockpile next to my kennel.  So a few questions if I may..

1. How can I train/tame this beasty? I have a high rank animal trainer/caretaker and I have the exotic animals tag set to NO with Lazy Newb Pack. I can't seem to select it or train it via the kennel no matter what I try. Do you still need a Dungeon Master or somesuch to train these even with the exotic animals mod? If so, how do you get one normally and can you get one with a little.. cheating?

2. It's got like two broken legs. I've noticed my animals that fight each other and wound each other seem to get no attention from my doctors. Can I get it treated? Will it heal up on it's own?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Okay so I caged a Rutherer.. How can I train/tame it?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:57 am »

1.  If you have indeed run the no exotics mod, and Rutherers have the [PET] tag, then all you need is a Kennel, any dwarf with the Animal Training skill, and the animal in a cage.  Go to the kennel and select the 'Tame a Large Animal' job.  If the Rutherer doesn't show up under the list of tamable animals, then either it is dead or already tame, or inaccessible, or you didn't actually successfully use the No Exotics mod.  Did you use the mod before you created the world?  If you used the mod after you created the world, did you mod your default raws or the raws for that save game specifically?

2.  There is no animal health care at the moment.  It may heal on its own, or it may die of blood loss or infection.  Nothing you can do about that at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:22:17 am »

Thanks for the response.. Hmm, I don't remember if I had it toggled when I created the world. And about Raws and such, no idea what you are talking about. I'm pretty new to DF.

Can I somehow enable it after the fact, or use something to cheat to get my handler to be able to do it?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:55:10 am »

First, go into the data folder, then to the save folder, then to the save of that world. Click on "raws", and open up creatures_next_underground. Then, search for "rutherer". Check and see if it has the pet or pet_exotic tag. modiify accordingly, and enjoy.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:55:52 am »

Thanks for the response.. Hmm, I don't remember if I had it toggled when I created the world. And about Raws and such, no idea what you are talking about. I'm pretty new to DF.

Can I somehow enable it after the fact, or use something to cheat to get my handler to be able to do it?

In your Dwarf Fortress\data\save\YOURSAVEHERE\raw\objects\ folder, find the creature_next_underground.txt file. Open it and search for rutherer. Look for the [PET_EXOTIC] tag and change it to just [PET].

If you want to be able to make hunting rutherers or war rutherers, add [TRAINABLE] to the rutherer entry.

This will change it so rutherers are not considered exotics for that save only. Any future games you start are based off the raw folder in your base DF directory (the game makes a copy of those files for the save at the time you generate the world).

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:54:19 pm »

You won't be able to train them unless you add [TRAINABLE] to the rutherer entry.

Also, rutherers are pretty much underground elephants. They are large enough to produce loads of products, they breed well, they are quite numerous, they have a good modvalue and they do not require food, excepted for taming. Also they are not especially aggressive.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:57:44 pm »

I believe this may be relevant to your interests.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,