Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Quakesounded (formerly Ultra-Abbeys), a .25 succesh fort: now recruiting!  (Read 3269 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Ultra-abbeys, a .25 succesh fort: Come vote for an embark!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »

How about 1 year & 3 days?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »

Works for me

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 02:56:58 pm »

i vant dvarf.
ze dvarf zpeakz like thiz
iz name "Dr.cobaltz"
iz jeveler! Likez prezciouz gemz!
iz having "copy certain danger room" and "useless pumping for strenghth"projects fer military.
can begin nov.....
I am a Goober.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:39 am »

We have 2 adequate miners, an adequate woodcutter, an adequate carpenter/mason, an adequate furnace operator/skilled weaponsmith/skilled armorsmith, a skilled axeman (for our military), and an adequate stonecrafter/gemcutter/gem setter/appraiser/judge of intent. I also foresaw that we might need a doctor, so our woodcutter is also a diagnostician, surgeon, suturer and bone doctor; one of the miners has points in wound dressing. We also brought a breeding pair of dogs and a cat, plus lots of seeds. Let's doing this.

And whoops, I forgot to rename the fort. So it's now named Quakesounded.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right. So.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Things are all well and dandy for about half a month.

Then the ogres come.

The dogs are killed, and building our smelter and forge is suspended.

Axedwarf! After him! Even though we don't have an axe!

The ogres disappear. But the lesson is learnt. Now everybody will be on masonry duty, and we'll build a wall of stone. And it's a good time, too; on the 27th of granite our metalsmith, going off to get a sock, is killed by Takendeclines, who also killed the axedwarf.

As for the embark itself: it is a land flowing with milk and ale. There's limonite and bituminous coal, and the ocean freezes over (probably good megaproject material if somebody wants to attempt that.) As for the aquifer: I got lucky and was able to dig 6 of the 9 staircase squares through a dry area of that Z-level.

21st Slate: Here come the ogres again. No deaths.

That's the entrance of the fort on 7th Felsite; there's a wall protecting us from ogres, and the door is not pet-passable so that our cat doesn't get out. Sooner or later I'll deconstruct the wagon. Now that we're sort of secure in our dwelling, it's time to get to work. We set our woodcutter to start farming and our carpenter starts on some beds.

26th Felsite: JACKPOT! On an exploratory dig down, we hit a layer of marble on Z -25. We can make steel. We'll kill those ogres. Just... not right now.

By 16th Hematite, we're getting some bedrooms in. But with just 5 dwarves, this fort is slow-going- and because it had to be put up quickly, disorganised.

21st Hematite: Hit more marble on Z -49- and gabbro right after that. As soon as migrants come, I'm going to start setting up a metalworking industry. Also, love has bloomed- Urist Greatermines (ooh, good name) and Id Pridewires (sounds selfish), both miners, are lovers.

9th Malachite: Warm stone! Also, no ogres around so I'm unforbidding some stuff outside.

12th Malachite:

I'll start digging out some space for the forges and smelters (and, later, some kilns and glass furnaces- there's both sand and clay on the map.)

24th Malachite: MIGRANTS!
And not an ogre in sight.
We get an adept butcher, an accomplished leatherworker with a minor in cheese-making (in the unlikely event that we need that), a talented woodcrafter (who has done a little bit of bee-keeping, so he'll do that), a guy who's novice in cooking and fish cleaning (hint: he'll cook). We also get a stray cow calf (we'll expand the walled-in area for a pasture) and a pet bunny of the leatherworker. The leatherworker will train up in jewelry, and the butcher can make booze. As for the woodcrafter, we'll train him up furnace operating.

We need to expand the walled-in area fast, so everybody's on masonry. There's a werewolf prowling around outside.

13th Galena: We were not quite fast enough.

LUCKILY- sort of- the werewolf just goes through the top area of the fortress, scaring the dwarves that were building the wall. There was one casualty, the fish cleaner/cook. Fortunately he had no friends. He's now chasing the leatherworker and beekeeper around the map. They, too, have no friends.

Maybe it's just as well with the leatherworker. Here's one of the goddesses he worships:

I mean not only is the guy a necrophiliac, he seems to like gods that have goblin names. Perhaps it is just as well that he's being chased about.

20th Galena: The leatherworker gets thirsty and leads the werewolf back into the fortress. Luckily they didn't go downstairs. Sigh. Sometimes I worry about that boy.

22nd Galena: We finish the wall extension:

Just below the south wall you can see the leatherworker being chased by the werewolf. Finally on 4th Limestone the werewolf decides to leave him alone. We have 8 dwarves now...

20th Sandstone: Migrants. And no werewolf. And no ogres! We got an adequate bone carver (useful, I suppose), a talented weaponsmith (praise Armok!), and... actually, that's all. Still, 10 dwarves.

But then, it couldn't get worse. And then it did.

See those h's? Those are harpies. Little bastards flew over the walls. Winter project: Build a roof. Well, actually they just canceled jobs and chased dwarves everywhere. Still.

This is why I'm starting Project Fuck Everything.

That channel leads from the stairs to the magma sea. I'm building a floodgate and a lever in the meeting hall. When I pull the lever, it floods everybody. Or it does from early spring to late autumn. In winter, the ocean is frozen. A megaproject to melt it could be in order.

Also, the caravan comes. It comes from over the frozen sea. It walks on the frozen sea. There isn't a whole bunch of sense here. We don't need much so I just request seeds, leather and a pair of dogs.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:30:37 pm by dhokarena56 »

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So project fuck everything just floods the entire fort? Better hide that lever somewhere clever!

erthel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I get added to this thing? :)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So project fuck everything just floods the entire fort? Better hide that lever somewhere clever!

No, even better, I'm going to install a bunch of random levers that are the exact same colour in the meeting hall.
8th Obsidian: It turns out ogres are building destroyers...

Light forger! http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4220
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:51:17 pm by dhokarena56 »

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose I'll sign up for a spot in this, sounds fun.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NVM downloading.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:13:55 pm by Light forger »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a fine -leather journal- it is covered with blood the name of the writer and the dates are worn off.

After the death of my brother Kadon Zimodden a fine smither I traveled to the place know only as Quakesounded. As I began to walk pass the gates I heard a shout "OGRES IN THE OCEAN PIPE!". I looked on as the town charged the ogres in the aftermath we found out two had been killed Id Nikuzshorast and Alath Ustuthmishos.

Shortly after this attack I was for no real reason (as with most dwarf ideas) elected the leader of the town. First we need a moat to hold off these damn ogres so we began work on a bridge and most system. During the days spent on the moat I visited the tomb of my brother often and knew one day those ogres would pay......

About half through the constructing of the moat a large number of migrants showed up for gods knows why. erith has been a bit antisocial and HEY, that workshop is for masons you elf brained fool! oh well... God the stairs reek but these half wits refuse to haul the rotten ogre corpse up... What? erith made what??

Oh dear good the miner is killing people...

The ocean melted and flooded the tunnel looks like were not getting that corpse. And here comes springs blood gnat season... The last miner keeps trying to attend a meeting or something he must be crazy oh he stopped eh? About time the miner got to work on the moat. The moat is nearly done and some got stuck in a lake we stuck and he patch up oh well.

The moat is almost done soon we will be safe useless harpy come but who cares! and here they come.. Hey someone has taken my forge what are you doing..... oh.

Ok I'm at mid-summer will try to finish off latter today.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:33:54 pm by Light forger »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can we *please* have photos and more detail?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile

what am I doing?
ZE COBALTZ DEMANDZ INFORMATIONZ!!!
I am a Goober.

nosesquid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This sounds great, sign me up for a turn!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Details DETAILS!!!! what kind of a dwarf needs details!

The roof

The moat

OK the details if you must one elf caravan came we got a giant leopard and some booze. A peasant die and some random worker the peasant to the miner and the other to a harpy. We need to build a archer tower for harpy attacks and get more weapons/armor (both are in the works). I'm making more rooms for the dwarfs and have a plump helmet field for more booze/food. If you want more details ask me and I will answer the best I can. This is pretty much my first succession fort. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3