Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Only 2 miners are mining?  (Read 3050 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Only 2 miners are mining?
« on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:05 am »

I recently started a new world (Newest version of Dwarf Fortress), and I decided to start with 3 miners to speed up the building process. For some reason, only 2 of my miners will actually work at all, and the other one just sits there next to the wagon. How do I get that dwarf to start mining with the other two?

Please answer. This gets really annoying.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Only 2 miners are mining?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:00 am »

Did you bring enough picks? Dwarves can do many things (most of them stupid), but digging through the ground with their bare hands is not among them.

Just check the third (idle) miner... is his mining labor activated and does he have a pick in his inventory?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

Did you bring enough picks? Dwarves can do many things (most of them stupid), but digging through the ground with their bare hands is not among them.

Just check the third (idle) miner... is his mining labor activated and does he have a pick in his inventory?

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that now.

EDIT: FFFUUUUUUUUU-

Only two picks T-T

I could have sworn I packed 3.

How do I make more picks?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:08:26 am by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:14:46 am »

1 bar metal (copper, iron, bronze, steel) + 1 bar coke (charcoal?) at a forge, made by a weaponsmith.

(I use magma forges so much that I don't remember which fuel to use.)

Some folks embark with zero picks and just pack along bars of metal, fuel, an anvil, and 2-3 blocks of stone.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:52 am »

1 bar metal (copper, iron, bronze, steel) + 1 bar coke (charcoal?) at a forge, made by a weaponsmith.

(I use magma forges so much that I don't remember which fuel to use.)

Some folks embark with zero picks and just pack along bars of metal, fuel, an anvil, and 2-3 blocks of stone.

How do you use a magma forge?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:21:31 am »

How do you use a magma forge?
Funny Answer: Very carefully.

Short Answer: Place it over magma, schedule job, wait.

Long Answer: Channel the middle-left (or middle-right, or both) block below the forge out to reveal magma on the level below, then build the forge so that the impassable middle-left (or middle-right, or both) block covers the hole. Then schedule job and wait.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:25:46 am »

So I just tunnel magma under the center of the forge? Kind of like a well over water? cool. That is WAY simple than I thought it would be.

Now I just need to find Magma...

To pump Magma up, would I just take a water wheel attached to stone pumps to carry magma up? Also, after that, how do I keep the magma from overflowing? Should I make a second tunnel that lets the magma flow back down into the reservoir?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

So I just tunnel magma under the center of the forge? Kind of like a well over water? cool. That is WAY simple than I thought it would be. Now I just need to find Magma...
Dig down. Problem solved.

To pump Magma up, would I just take a water wheel attached to stone pumps to carry magma up? Also, after that, how do I keep the magma from overflowing? Should I make a second tunnel that lets the magma flow back down into the reservoir?
I build my forges right above the magma sea, but to each their own. Yes, you can pump magma, but you need to understand the wiki articles on pressure VERY WELL before you start pumping !!FUN!! around.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:32:52 am »

So I just tunnel magma under the center of the forge? Kind of like a well over water? cool. That is WAY simple than I thought it would be.

I find that it's usually easier to just build the smelters, kilns, glassworks and forges down near the lava rather than the other way around.

The second method allows you to make everything compact in one place near your main area, but it usually means waiting until the second or third year until you build enough pumps (or dig out a magma piston).

I usually create another dining room and dormitory area down there as well, creating almost a secondary fort.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:09 am »

So I just tunnel magma under the center of the forge? Kind of like a well over water? cool. That is WAY simple than I thought it would be. Now I just need to find Magma...
Dig down. Problem solved.

I build my forges right above the magma sea, but to each their own. Yes, you can pump magma, but you need to understand the wiki articles on pressure VERY WELL before you start pumping !!FUN!! around.

Yeah, I had a lot of FUN on a previous save when I tried to make a housing section on a base. I accidentally tunneled under a lake and flooded part of my base. Luckily it was a very small lake, and the water was absorbed into the ground after a few in-game days.

Oh, and I read the wiki articles. From what I understand, lava flows SIMILARLY to water, except it behaves like syrup does in rel life. thick syrup inside of a U-bend won't flow all the way up the other side most of the time unless outside pressure is involved. Lava flows very similarly. Am I correct?

Anyway., what you are saying is that the lava can be any amount of Z-levels down, but still reachable by the forge? Well then, I guess I dont' need to pump it unless I plan on building other stuff beneath the forge.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:09 am »

Anyway., what you are saying is that the lava can be any amount of Z-levels down, but still reachable by the forge? Well then, I guess I dont' need to pump it unless I plan on building other stuff beneath the forge.
No, the magma needs to be on the Z-level directly beneath your forge.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 11:52:36 am »

No, the magma needs to be on the Z-level directly beneath your forge.

oh okay.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:10 pm »

I prefer to just build forges, raw ore storage, smelted bar storage, sand bag storage, uncut glass down by the magma (be it a sea, or a pool, or whatever).  Most of the time in my worlds that's down around Z80-Z100 with the surface up around Z135-Z150.

So the forges go down at Z80-Z100 and living quarters go about 10 levels above that, if there's room between the caverns.  Trade depot is about 10 layers below the surface, and my quantum dump pile is between the residences and the forges.  Since I use a central stairshaft design from top to bottom (possibly with 1 or 2 bends to side-step a cavern) it's only 50-80 steps from the forges to the surface.  Anything that gets used for trade or defense has stockpiles up near the surface.