Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Big of a Pasture?  (Read 436 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Big of a Pasture?
« on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:32 am »

The RNG graced me with a breeding pair of horses so I want to start raisign them for milk, cheese, and butchering. I've release the cavern spores for moss to grow underground.  So now how big should I make an underground pasture to feed my horses?  Would 5 tiles per beast be a good number or do they need even bigger pastures?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
Re: How Big of a Pasture?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:47 am »

I set them 10x10 for 2 to 4 animals but, I'm paranoid about them killing each other and/or attacking my dwarves. I also keep the horses separate from the yaks, etc.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:51:29 am »

I usually set my animals in a 5x5 square of natural grass, with a fence around it and a locked gate to dissuade wildlife from entering it.

That's PER animal, mind you.  That way I get no fighting, and the spores can still spread between pastures.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:40 pm »

It also depends on the animal, and I don't know about horses. Some animals will consume one tile of grass per year, some probably one per week (elephants etc who can't eat fast enough to keep themselves from dying).

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:50:29 pm »

If these numbers are accurate, then you'll need 160 tiles per horse. Since grass grows back better if it's next to other grass, I'd advise putting each horse in a 320 square pasture and then removing every second tile in a checkerboard pattern, I have an AutoHotKey script set up to repeat right, right, enter, enter a few times for this. The animals will sometimes wander onto non-pasture tiles, but it'll generally keep them safe and fed.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »

1x1 tiles
natural selection: the strongest specie will survive and the grazing animals will either evolve to non-grazing animals or die.