Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: School for Dwarfes.  (Read 3495 times)

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: School for Dwarves.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »

Well, i like the idea, maybe it could work like the Hospital, you lay an area and it would check for chairs and coffers, the coffers would hold some tools to give out the idea that the students would be using them to learn the skill. Maybe even a few tools related to teaching, chalk sticks so they could write up lessons, tablets so the students could exercise the knowledge.
Also, the "school" would have a cap at lvl 4-6, so you wouldn't get grandmasters that learnt the trades just by studying.
And talking about kids learning their parents trades, i think that is just natural, more even so in a dwarf society, where history and family have strong bonds. Nothing more natural then Legendary Weaponsmith Urist McWeapon's son to have be a great weaponsmith also...
I'd like to see that coming into the vanilla!
BTW, nothing wrong with idle dwarfs using their (or public) study rooms to avoid getting rusty, right?

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: School for Dwarfes.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 03:44:44 pm »

Here's a thought.. you need a bit of practical experience to advance past level 4 or so, in addition to any theoretical knowledge. Let's say that for every 5 points of experience, a dwarf can get another 10 - (their current level in that skill) of experience from teaching. The maximum skill (10 in this case) and ratio of theory to practise (2:1 to start with in this case) should be raw'd. That way, it can be modded for every race, so that some races can be naturally great at learning from others and other races are great at learning by doing, some are both and some are neither.

I think some of the individual's stats should also apply. Curiosity, patience and focus, perhaps. Maybe you could gain another 3 levels if they're all maxed, and be limited to up to three levels less when they're really low.

Milarki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:17 am »

If you have everyone harvest plants, kids get experience as growers. Also, there is the chance that a child has a mood and then becomes a legendary something.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 10:41:34 am »

This is a great idea, but the original concept is more complex than it needs to be.
bp1986 had the right of it: Define the schoolroom from a chair, assign a bunch of dwarves to it, select subjects like a farm plot, whatever dwarf has the highest skill in that area, teaches the class.

And probably cap the highest skill you could learn at at professional. Even as it is, dwarves already skill up too fast.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 06:41:07 pm »

Personally I think the idea of formal schooling for dwarves doesn't really fit their societies or economics. Most dwarves are essentially peasants and peasants throughout human history learn by doing, by being involved with family/community labors, or by apprenticeship. The idea of the classroom came into being as human societies turned towards the model of the nation-state and as those societies depended more and more on intellectual skills. Of course, academies and the like have come into being at various times in history, but most often they were for the children of the rich and pertained to the study of rhetoric, philosophy, etc.. Dwarves just don't need that kind of education, and it wouldn't make sense to impart them in a classroom setting. Not every or even most dwarves are going to be a blacksmith or leatherworker, and learning those things in real life requires a certain amount of doing them. The model I would propose is an apprenticeship model: for different skills, dwarves can't pass certain skill levels and/or learn much more slowly than they would without being apprenticed to a more experienced dwarf. Things like farming, most people can learn the basics of in a day and get better over time with marginal improvements except when they're managing their own farms (that is, in real life). Furrow soil, put seeds a certain space apart--bam, you're done learning, now go do it for the rest of your life, peasant. For things involving real craftsmanship, like carving and especially blacksmithing, knowledge and advancement is not easily achieved on an individual scale without someone else to teach you. Skill acquisition as it is is already a little too amenable to mass production: if the goal is a medieval style of life, slowing things down is more called for.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »

I think the idea is partly redundant, as you would need someone experienced to teach a class. A novice weaponsmith isn't going to teach another dwarf how to be a legendary weaponsmith, and there isn't much point for a legendary weaponsmith to teach other dwarves as you really only need one weaponsmith.

Doctors are about the only thing I can see you wanting to teach and learn, as practice in that area is very dangerous.

As for masons, they learn their craft by making blocks. If you were making an 100 Z level tower you would want them making blocks for the tower to save travel and construction time, and this would give them experience. You only need one legendary mason with his own workshop to make your furniture, there's barely a difference in time between a legendary and competent mason putting up a wall with blocks as materials. The majority of time would be spent in moving the blocks to the site, and from there to the designation.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »

They dont become legendary, but the childs become the job of their parents wich they hang around O.o
(bolded for emphasis)
Military dwarves.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 06:09:17 am »

Omg I already love where this is going.
Just imagine:
Teacher teaches mining to his students. He's receiving a mining job, he gets going and the students follow him.
At the mining site, he's doing his regular job, but at half speed, so that they could watch and learn faster as in the classroom.
So it could be like: Talking about a job: 25% learning, taking classes 75%, watching teacher at work 100% learning. Based on job-skill and teaching level.

Also, there should be a room for the dwarven children, containing cupboards and chests filled with toys
(and using the toys should finally teach them the related skill)
This would finally put use to toys and also keep them busy, safe and out of the way.
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »

Here's a thought.. you need a bit of practical experience to advance past level 4 or so, in addition to any theoretical knowledge. Let's say that for every 5 points of experience, a dwarf can get another 10 - (their current level in that skill) of experience from teaching. The maximum skill (10 in this case) and ratio of theory to practise (2:1 to start with in this case) should be raw'd. That way, it can be modded for every race, so that some races can be naturally great at learning from others and other races are great at learning by doing, some are both and some are neither.

I think some of the individual's stats should also apply. Curiosity, patience and focus, perhaps. Maybe you could gain another 3 levels if they're all maxed, and be limited to up to three levels less when they're really low.

Good thoughts Dwarf!  I like that!

I'm certain in the end DF will be playable for all races, especially if he can hire help.

Which I have to say, he REALLY should put advertisements in when we DL the game.  Or maybe like a 10 second one each time we open it.  Or maybe an Item or monster could be an advertisement.  He would be making a lot more money than now and actually be able to hire help.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:31 am »

It seems like Toady prefers doing it all by himself though, with just a bit of help on those areas he truly struggles with. Besides that, advertisements tend to be received poorly.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 06:59:25 am »

This would also allow for a key change in how jobs work in DF - preventing unskilled dwarves from working skilled job types. For instance, a dwarf with no experience at all should not be able to brew, or craft, or sew, or train animals, or do medical tasks, things like that. Mining, sure. Hunting maybe. Cleaning, hauling, absolutely.

Teaching would allow your dwarves to work skilled jobs that they didn't start out with.

This would also give the philosopher a purpose - to show up and hog the teaching slot in order to force players to use apprenticeships in the later game.

i feel insulted, cleaning is a very complex task requiring a lot of knowledge

i used to clean for a living, the things that you need to know are endless, but i get the feeling you never cleaned anything other then "put it under the rug"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:22:27 am »

Generally speaking weren't schools at this time for academics and not job placement?

What exactly would you teach them?

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 10:35:05 am »

This would also allow for a key change in how jobs work in DF - preventing unskilled dwarves from working skilled job types. For instance, a dwarf with no experience at all should not be able to brew, or craft, or sew, or train animals, or do medical tasks, things like that. Mining, sure. Hunting maybe. Cleaning, hauling, absolutely.

Teaching would allow your dwarves to work skilled jobs that they didn't start out with.

This would also give the philosopher a purpose - to show up and hog the teaching slot in order to force players to use apprenticeships in the later game.

i feel insulted, cleaning is a very complex task requiring a lot of knowledge

i used to clean for a living, the things that you need to know are endless, but i get the feeling you never cleaned anything other then "put it under the rug"
Cleaning well requires some skill. Just making it look "good enough" does not. Hell, I could do that.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 10:58:33 am »

Sorry that you feel insulted, but cleaning has always been considered an unskilled labor whereas something like metalsmithing has not. At the time DF loosely represents, smithing, stoneworking, woodworking and the like were well respected trades that you learned through apprenticeship. Mucking stalls and certain other jobs did not require apprenticeship, and I think that should be reflected in the game.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:12 pm »

I didnt find anything with the search option, so big sorry, if someone already got this idea.

Everyone knows the problem that occurs in later years. 90% of your dwarfes sit around have nothing to do and you only get farming related Jobs with your migrants. My idea to solve these three problems is some sort of school system:

Minimum requirements for a school:

7x10 room
11 thrones
11 tables
4 chests

WWWWWWWWWWWW
W[][][][][][][][][][] W
W[][] C T[] C T[][]HW
W[][] C T[] C T[][]HW
D[][] C T[] C T[]T CW
W[][] C T[] C T[][]HW
W[][] C T[] C T[][]HW
W[][][][][][][][][][] W
WWWWWWWWWWWW

Hot to create?
Select the red Chair, make a room and set it to school instead of study. This will indicate, where the teacher stays.

How does it work?
You asign the chair to one dwarf with a high level in something (for example an expert brewer). Now he walks into the schoolroom and dwarfes or children with no job may join him or you asign specific chairs to specific dwarfes. The main labor of the dwarf you choose as teacher (in this example farming related) becoms the topic of his lessons. He then teaches all the dwarfes the basics of farming related Jobs with some focus on his sub labor (brewing).

With this you will get:

1. No rusty dwarfes.
2. In long terms god dwarfes for your mega projects. For example, you wont have the jobs to get 10 or 15 legendary masons, with a school you get an infinite Ammount of god Masons (depending of the size of your school) on standby for your 100z-level Tower of Doom.
3. No dwarfes wich idle 24/7 (so no bad thought because of this)
4. Your dwarfes stay inside your fortress if they got no jobs

What do you think about this? Any ideas, suggestions?

Speaking of school, THE WORD IS DWARVES OR DWARFS, NOT DWARFES

The Tolkien preference is for dwarves- well, actually dwarrows. Dorfs can be used in a pinch. BUT I WILL NOT STAND FOR "DWARFES"
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: 1 [2] 3