Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Buy soap / embark with soap?  (Read 3401 times)

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buy soap / embark with soap?
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:04:18 am »

Somewhere in this Forum I read something about buying soap from caravans or at least embark with it to geat a small ammount of soap kinda early ingame.

Where do i find soap in the embark menu and where in the trade request menu?

The problem is, I tried to embark in an area with some cave bears and they startet attacking. It was no problem defending against them, but now my miner and my hunter died to an infection...

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buy soap / embark with soap?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:12:49 am »

dont bother soap has no uses beyond trade and engraving you are better off with a decent medical dwarf on embark.

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:17:36 am »

I got one, but as wiki and different guides say, you need it in your hospital zone for your medical dwarf to clean the wounds.

I was using the starter setup with the mediacl dwarf from the latest lazy newb pack so there should be at least one decent medical dwarf.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:03:25 am »

Really? ive never had complainging about the lack of soap and most of my dwarf's live if i have a halfway decent trauma team.

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:30 am »

They dont complain about a lack of soap, they just die to infections.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:47:57 am »

Soap isn't necessary, but does help fight infection. Most civilizations don't stock soap for trade or embark preparations, but you can make your own fairly easily, especially if you purchase lye from your parent civilization and have animals to butcher for tallow. You don't need much; four or five bars should be more than you'll ever need.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:00:18 am »

Yeah, I know.

But you cant embark with tallow either so you got some Problems if your Hunter dies in the first minutes... Of course you can butcher your Horse/Mule/whatever wich comes with your wagon to render his fat, but sometimes you get no fat so you need to hunt wich is a problem if there are stronger enemys than your untrained Hunter.

As i said, both my Miner and Hunter died to an infection during the first month, no caravan or Migrants arrived in this time and there would be barely enough time to produce even one bar of soap with only 4 remaining dwarfes. (The medical dwarf has to look over the injured)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 04:54:41 am »

Soap can give your dwarves a double or triple positive thought: "he had a wonderful bubbly bath recently", I found in the thoughts of one of my dwarves recently. It was wonderful, bubbly and a bath. I guess that may help to keep the little buggers even more ecstatic than they already are. 
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:18:40 am »

You don't have to hunt or butcher animals to make soap! Just start off with a grower, a bunch of rock nuts, a presser, a soaper and bring a bunch of lye.

Oh yeah, a Miller too, to mill paste.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:20:15 am by clockwork »

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:23:03 am »

There is another way to create soap in 0.31.25?

Not even the wiki says something about this O.O

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:28:28 am »

Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:39:47 am »

Ah, its just colored different ^^"

May you please explain how to get Oil? I`ve never done this before and the wiki page is empty.

But nice to know that you now can wallin yourself and still get enough soap for your medics.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:41:46 am »

It's from plants, I'm not sure what ones but you may have to process them or get extract or... something. With my army of war dogs I have no short supply of puppy tallow so I wouldn't know.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:45:34 am »

Rock nuts are milled for paste, paste is pressed for oil (and press cakes, which are cookable), oil into soap.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:44 am »

Rock nuts are milled for paste, paste is pressed for oil (and press cakes, which are cookable), oil into soap.

I'd add that you'll need a jug for the pressing part. The oil goes in the jug.
Pages: [1] 2