Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are melting!  (Read 3261 times)

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are melting!
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:29:24 pm »

So I decided to train my throwing skill in the castle I was in. There was snow on the ground due to the very cold biome my adventurer had started in. Anyway I grabbed a bunch of snow and began throwing it at the same square as myself so more than likely myself. After about ~20 throws I noticed I was bleeding and was like crap! So i check the Z screen and noticed my left hand fat was melting. Unfortunately this was fatal to my adventurer.
So i guess my question is has anyone else had this happen to them?
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Re: You are melting!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.... Did you started as a magmaman?

This is wayyy to stupid :D Gonna go try that asap

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:56 pm »

Nope a steel dwarf on Deon's genesis.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:49:28 pm »

That's bizarre. I wonder if holding the snow caused your hand's temperature to keep dropping until the temperature value wrapped around from extremely cold to ridiculously hot or something. Then again I understand that according to various thermodynamic formulae it's possible to have temperatures below absoloute zero, except that it turns out that below absolute zero is actually extremely hot and not cold.... or something.

I think temperature calculations may be a bit buggy or something. I had some melting issues but it seemed to have something to do with armor getting hot because of a dragon which makes a little more sense than burning snow from hell.... Thing is the armor never seemed to cool down....

Frostbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »

a few version ago something like this happend and i was like wtf?.. i was beating a cat to death with rocks mostly out of some sick sense of fun

then suddenly i got a message i was melting .. wow

i have a screen shot but dont feel like signing up for some img site just for this

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »

What version do you play? Is it raining?

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »

Deons genesis .24 with phobious tile set. The DF version is 31.25.
The castle I was in was right on the line of 2 different biomes. One that unfreezes in the spring and one that does not. I believe I was on the one that does change and when it did i think i started to melt. BUT it was only my left hand that had started to melt so who knows.
Nope it was no raining or snowing. I also noticed my gauntlet was covered in snow, perhaps that had something to do with it.

I started a new adventurer to see if i could duplicate the result but unfortunately im on the opposite side of the world, time to gain some fame and get a traveling party together i guess.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:32:02 pm by scotch208 »
-The Dwarf Creed-

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:19:53 pm »

You were throwing too fast.

FRICKSHUNNNN!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:45:42 pm »

You were throwing too fast.

FRICKSHUNNNN!

Yea that is what i had though too haha. My dwarf is so strong he throw the snow SO fast his hand broke the sound barrier and burst into flames.
-The Dwarf Creed-

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:24:50 am »

I figured out what happened.
I had killed a wyvern earlier and some of my companions had wyvern acid on them. While i was throwing and picking up snow my companions were walking where i was and dropped some acid on the tile i was occupying and contaminating the snow. I grabbed the snow and shoved it in my pack then grabbed it out of my pack and chucked it all with the same hand.
So, don't handle acid covered snow kiddies. 
-The Dwarf Creed-

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »

I figured out what happened.
I had killed a wyvern earlier and some of my companions had wyvern acid on them. While i was throwing and picking up snow my companions were walking where i was and dropped some acid on the tile i was occupying and contaminating the snow. I grabbed the snow and shoved it in my pack then grabbed it out of my pack and chucked it all with the same hand.
So, don't handle acid covered snow kiddies.

Dwarf Fortress: Showing you why you shouldn't touch funny colored snow.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?