Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NewB need help  (Read 828 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
NewB need help
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:17 pm »

Hello guys...

I'm getting pretty frustrated with adventure mode right now... I keep dying all the time for stupid reasons and can't seem to do anything right. it might be my 30th game today, average lenght 5 minutes.

Why am I so week? I always do the same build.

20 strenght, agility 10 and endurance 20
9 swordman, 8 fighter, 7 observer, 7 shield user, 7 armor user and 8 dodger.

I found the starting mission pretty fucking holy crazy hard... When I have the holy chance to stumble in a fort with some mercenary (average fort i encounter are empty of human and full of leopard.

What starting mission would send you against a bandit camp of 10 men!!?!?! Or a woman ogre monstruosity that eat your ass alive?? So many time I almost killed a monstruosity (chopped like both feet and one arm) and then it 2 shot me out of nowhere and can catch me up when I'm running away WITHOUT BOTH OF HIS FEET!!!!

Girafe 2 shot me, wolf spawn in group of a million... First thing getting chopped off is ALWAYS my main hand, nothing else even bruised. Last fight I ended up pulling out 3 bolt to dies of a chopped finger feet emoragy.

I'm kinda lost in how to farm up exp a bit, or even just make it through 3 missions. I did it once, ending up on shotting everything in my path until I learnt the hard way bogeyman get you even in fort if you dont absolutely sleep indoor.

WTF are the fucking guard doing?

Anyway :D I'm having a LOAD of fun T_T

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NewB need help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »

By your attributes I can see it doesn't look like you've topped out any of them, or are starting with many points, so you might want to start as a Demigod to get used to the game first.

1) For farming EXP, you have to find a really small animal and be very well armored.
2) Try playing as a different civ, it looks like the civ you're playing as has unfortunately hard starting quests.

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

I'm getting pretty frustrated with adventure mode right now... I keep dying all the time for stupid reasons and can't seem to do anything right. it might be my 30th game today, average lenght 5 minutes.

That can happen a lot in Adventure Mode.

20 strenght, agility 10 and endurance 20
9 swordman, 8 fighter, 7 observer, 7 shield user, 7 armor user and 8 dodger.

Well the build could maybe use some tweaking but tactics and strategies are the most important thing.

Build: I don't bother putting points into the Armor User skill, I find that Shield and Dodge are more useful. At least Competant in both. I used to put points in Fighter but I found it raises very quickly just through fighting so now I don't put any points in it at the start. I always get Adequate Swimmer because drowning is so annoying. Some people are happy to skip it though, it's a judgement call. It's not really worth getting Endurance that high - I'd split the points between Endurance, Toughness and Willpower (make sure you're not draining points out of the Spatial and Kinesthetic Awareness abilities).

Tactics: Try not to fight too many enemies at once, and never let them get behind you or on your flanks. If you have good speed and agility then you'll be faster than most stuff. Use that to your advantage. Hit and retreat, it cuts down on how many hits they can make on you. Pick up dropped weapons and throw them at enemies. Use trees to screen your character from archers. At the start, use aimed attacks and go for Easy or Easier strikes, there's a lot less risk of the opponent getting in a counterstrike. Watch for opportunity attacks (the blue ! symbol)  Be careful with your Combat preferences - dodging away or charging aren't always a good idea.

There's exploity crap you can do as well, like wielding six weapons, using sneak mode and throwing a zillion rocks at hapless enemies, etc. While effective, it's pretty boring unless you want 0 challenge in the game.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »

Haha ty guys for yours tips...

Murphy's back for some more... Fourth empty fortress in a row :D

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

Try this tutorial following all the predetermined suggestions:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_mode_quick_start

I tried to design it to ensure maximum survivability for the first time player. I went through it myself following my own advice to the letter and it seemed to work out pretty well, but you never know what sort of crazy insane mission you're going to get at first and by the time I walked through it I knew plenty of stuff that wasn't actually in the tutorial.

Note that you can try asking around to find other missions that sound easier, like killing a leopard or something.

Also check this out:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventurer_mode#FAQ

Lots of advice on how to survive.