Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22867 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »

The minimum requirements for infantry should be WS 4 BS 3 S 4 T 4 W 2 I 3 A 3 Ld 8 Sv 4+
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »

So misleading information at the start?
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

Most of what I believe has already been stated, so don't expect me to respond too frequently on this thread. Anyways, here's my two cents:

Men and women may be equal under the law, but they are certainly not the same. They have different ways of thinking, some of which is genetic and some of it from cultural stimuli http://www.livescience.com/3808-men-women-differently.html http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/psychology_articles/men-women-emotions.html. The most obvious differences, however, are physical. In addition to the obvious reproductive differences, men are naturally stronger, more durable, and over all more physically efficient than women, and in a life or death situation, this means everything. There are, however, outliers in any group. Let's assume a group of women that are capable of this role, what do we do with them? To integrate them with the men could be immediately dangerous, because the natural instinct and tendency is for men to protect the women, and this can put them both in a very bad position during combat. Now let's also assume we can train soldiers to be gender blind; is this a good idea? After all, there are undeniable differences between genders, and ignoring this raises a whole new set of problems. Segregated units for women is an option.

We are equal, but we are not the same.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2011, 12:29:02 pm »

I later posted lower weights.

No you did not.

You are saying that the army should have as a minim requirement to almost match, or in some cases go past, the Olympic records.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »

Now let's also assume we can train soldiers to be gender blind; is this a good idea?
Why, think they might go gay? It's not like that gets in the way of good soldiering, just look at the Sacred Band of Thebes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2011, 12:30:35 pm »

Good lord, I'm getting tired of this thread.

Now let's also assume we can train soldiers to be gender blind; is this a good idea?

Well, given that it might actually make people start treating each other like people, rather than some sort of sick "probably-overlord and probably-commodity" game, yeah.  I'd totally go for that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:15 pm »

What I said was referring to the infantry already having standards that are too lax.
I would greatly enjoy it if instead of inferring what I'm not implying, that you would infer what I am actually trying to imply:

Women can improve their weight training as much as men can to get the situation you want. Women can get stronger. This weight training thingy that you want so bad can be done by anyone. It doesn't matter if they are male, female, transgendered, alien, mutants from mars, or genetically engineered frogmen with spearheads embedded in their rectal mucus tissues. Resistance builds muscle, no matter what biological assembly you belong to*.

*Provided your species uses muscle.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

I'm astounded by people's ability to read my whole post. Really, I am.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:55 pm »

No you did not.

You are saying that the army should have as a minim requirement to almost match, or in some cases go past, the Olympic records.

Have you read the past pages at all? Not only did  post lower weights but the lifts weren't even Olympic.

The minimum requirements for infantry should be WS 4 BS 3 S 4 T 4 W 2 I 3 A 3 Ld 8 Sv 4+

I don't know what these are abbreviated from, please elaborate.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2011, 12:32:20 pm »

That's from warhammer. 40K probably.

Weapon skill4
Ballistic Skill 3
Strength 4
Toughness 4 and so on...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »

What I said was referring to the infantry already having standards that are too lax.
I would greatly enjoy it if instead of inferring what I'm not implying, that you would infer what I am actually trying to imply:

Women can improve their weight training as much as men can to get the situation you want. Women can get stronger. This weight training thingy that you want so bad can be done by anyone. It doesn't matter if they are male, female, transgendered, alien, mutants from mars, or genetically engineered frogmen with spearheads embedded in their rectal mucus tissues. Resistance builds muscle, no matter what biological assembly you belong to*.

*Provided your species uses muscle.

Once again, testosterone is a highly important hormone to weight training. Since women do not produce nearly as much they cannot lift weights to the equal of men. I do not get why you can't except this.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2011, 12:35:05 pm »

I do not get why you insist that only testosterone spewing men are supposed to be in the army.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »

I'm astounded by people's ability to read my whole post. Really, I am.

If by "people" you mean "me," I'll just note that I read your whole post and will throw out, once again, the good old statement that variation among sexes is greater than variation between sexes.

But hey.  Whatever.  Say I didn't read--that's up to you <3

Once again, testosterone is a highly important hormone to weight training. Since women do not produce nearly as much they cannot lift weights to the equal of men. I do not get why you can't except this.

Once again, you have this "all women" "all men" dichotomy going on.  Gender is a social construct.  Deal with it, and move on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »

I do not get why you insist that only testosterone spewing men are supposed to be in the army.

Read this and try again.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »

No you did not.

Have you read the past pages at all? Not only did  post lower weights but the lifts weren't even Olympic.

Your last page with numbers:
A good minimum amount of strength would be 300 pound squat, 400 pound deadlift, 200 pound bench and 150(?) pound press. These are all very achievable goals especially for healthy lads like the infantry.

In kilos these would be 136.4 kg, 181.8 kg,90.9 kg, and 68.2 kg in the same order of appearance.

Which yeah, is on the low end of the Olympic records.

The point, that you have never addressed, is that is for average women. For the ones that can 'cut it' what reason do you have for keeping them out? Cause it is not that.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26