Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22917 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

300lb press? what the hell dude, you don't need that much strength, not even quarter of my class can do that. You would be cutting the military down even more if this comes out for new PT rules.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

Someone mind converting those values to Kilograms for me?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:34 am »

Just halve them.

And yeah, a 300 kg deadlift is ridiculous. I suggest you get some sense of proportion first and then come back.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:57 am »

There aren't citations needed here. An average man will usually be bigger than a woman. Even if both lift weights with the same frequency the man will probably be bigger. This is because men have increased testosterone.
You still.  Need.  Citations.

Not least because your current line of reasoning is plainly ridiculous and would seem to argue that a) women can never be bigger than men, b) that we should only recruit the tallest men into the army, c) that size is the most significant factor when it comes to interrogation and d) that interrogation is the only important part of being a soldier, and you can't delegate it to certain people.  Again, I'll need some kind of evidence that women are worse at interrogation rather than an argument built on your own sexism before I believe that claim, and a convincing case as to why that matters before I'll see its relevancy.

Your thing about soldiers getting stronger would seem to advocate turning soldiers into nothing but bodybuilders.  I understand you need a certain degree of physical strength, but it's not the only thing you need, nor the most important thing.  You're gonna be carrying heavy equipment, but you're not gonna be tearing people apart with your bare hands.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:03 am »

300 pound is near 130 kg, it's night impossible to lift in a bench.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:38 am »

Again, this concept is lost on you: Averages don't matter. At all. On average women are weaker then men, sure. But a woman who passes such tests would be able to lift those weights, because they passed the tests, because they don't follow the average. You would have less women joining and they would never make up 50% of the ground forces, but they would still join and be as physically effective as any man, because they can lift the same weights.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:16 am »

Oi! I demand to be listed under my normal status quo/system is working argument, because unless the army is willing to ignore basic differentiation of sexes in showering and sleeping areas, it's an additional drain on the logistics in patrol bases that really don't have the space for it, and in pbs and ops it can be detrimental to morale. Females can already do all of the good jobs in the Army, there's no need for combat arms to be open to them.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:20 am »

Urist, recently we've invented some weapons that don't require strength to kill the enemy.

Spoiler: Said weapons (click to show/hide)

They've been catching on. I release this puts a lot of the axe-and-hammer soldiers who need to pump iron all day out of work, but the results are fascinating.

Sorry, I didn't realise how big the image was.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:24 am »

Wrong ones, soft-points are banned by Geneva, FMJs are only allowed.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:02 am »

I honestly didn't look at which bullets I pulled up, I just searched for an image in google an wikipedia's bullet page came up.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:46 am »

I honestly didn't look at which bullets I pulled up, I just searched for an image in google an wikipedia's bullet page came up.
Just messin with ya ;D

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2011, 11:22:34 am »

Oi! I demand to be listed under my normal status quo/system is working argument, because unless the army is willing to ignore basic differentiation of sexes in showering and sleeping areas, it's an additional drain on the logistics in patrol bases that really don't have the space for it, and in pbs and ops it can be detrimental to morale. Females can already do all of the good jobs in the Army, there's no need for combat arms to be open to them.
Not a problem for any other organization. As for morale, it shouldn't be a problem. Make it so.
As for showers, one row of shower, two different schedule for showers should solve it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:14 am »

There aren't citations needed here. An average man will usually be bigger than a woman. Even if both lift weights with the same frequency the man will probably be bigger. This is because men have increased testosterone.
You still.  Need.  Citations.

Not least because your current line of reasoning is plainly ridiculous and would seem to argue that a) women can never be bigger than men, b) that we should only recruit the tallest men into the army, c) that size is the most significant factor when it comes to interrogation and d) that interrogation is the only important part of being a soldier, and you can't delegate it to certain people.  Again, I'll need some kind of evidence that women are worse at interrogation rather than an argument built on your own sexism before I believe that claim, and a convincing case as to why that matters before I'll see its relevancy.

Your thing about soldiers getting stronger would seem to advocate turning soldiers into nothing but bodybuilders.  I understand you need a certain degree of physical strength, but it's not the only thing you need, nor the most important thing.  You're gonna be carrying heavy equipment, but you're not gonna be tearing people apart with your bare hands.

What are you talking about? I didn't even mention interrogation? Not only that but lifting heavy things does not make you a bodybuilder.

300 pound is near 130 kg, it's night impossible to lift in a bench.

Before commenting on something involving weightlifting it is suggested you know something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkVlnGMm54c

Just halve them.

And yeah, a 300 kg deadlift is ridiculous. I suggest you get some sense of proportion first and then come back.

What if a humvee goes into a river? The doors would be hard to open because they were underwater.  A man who is strong would be able to open the doors fast and save his buddies.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:54 am »

*facepalm* That's why you open the windows first to let the water in.

Also, I suggest driving lessons.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2011, 11:24:54 am »

Urist, recently we've invented some weapons that don't require strength to kill the enemy.

Spoiler: Said weapons (click to show/hide)

They've been catching on. I release this puts a lot of the axe-and-hammer soldiers who need to pump iron all day out of work, but the results are fascinating.

Sorry, I didn't realise how big the image was.

Can you read? Have you read the articles hamburgerfan posted?

*facepalm* That's why you open the windows first to let the water in.

Also, I suggest driving lessons.

Because anyone who crashes into a river or lake must be a total idiot.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26