Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22934 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:16 pm »

So there aren't skinny, 170 pnd males in the military then? They're all ripped at 220 and drag gun emplacements around with their bare hands? If we want to wage the war of averages, there are different kinds of soldiers put in different roles all throughout the military.  They don't put the 300 pnd fat guy into infantry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »

They don't put the 300 pnd fat guy into infantry.
A person can be both fat, and incredibly muscled :P. On the plus side, he won't be the first to starve to death if his unit is surrounded and cut off.

[/offtopic]

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

So there aren't skinny, 170 pnd males in the military then? They're all ripped at 220 and drag gun emplacements around with their bare hands? If we want to wage the war of averages, there are different kinds of soldiers put in different roles all throughout the military.  They don't put the 300 pnd fat guy into infantry.
I am also of the opinion that strength training should be given a bigger priority in the military, and I don't think 170 lb skinny males would make the best soldiers either.

They don't put the 300 pnd fat guy into infantry.
A person can be both fat, and incredibly muscled :P.

[/offtopic]
This is true.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »

Seeing that guns are built so that any one can be told, "Here, point this end at people you don't like, pull the trigger, and they will have an inconvenient hole somewhere on on their body." You just need a little while to get able to run a lot and be fairly good at pointing your metal tube at people, so I see no problem with this. 
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

I am also of the opinion that strength training should be given a bigger priority in the military, and I don't think 170 lb skinny males would make the best soldiers either.

Just give them some steroid and it'll all work out.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2011, 09:00:58 pm »

Honestly I'm not sure why we're not doing that already.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »

Well, that would be one way to increase the number of women in the army without having to recruit any.

In all seriousness, you shouldn't have to irreparably fuck up the hormone balance in your body and risk horrible side effects in order to join the army.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2011, 09:17:41 pm »

I've always wondered why there was never a separate Olympics where drugging was allowed. Given that we don't test graduates or students for academic doping I don't know why this is such a big deal for Olympic organizers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »

I think it's safe to say we've all been exposed to enough speculative fiction to know what'll happen if we start force-feeding soldiers steroids to increase combat performance.

I've always wondered why there was never a separate Olympics where drugging was allowed. Given that we don't test graduates or students for academic doping I don't know why this is such a big deal for Olympic organizers.
It's not really the same. Nootropics aren't anywhere near as destructive or game-changing as say, human growth hormone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:12 pm »

It's not really the same. Nootropics aren't anywhere near as destructive or game-changing as say, human growth hormone.

Didn't we already get to see this in action anyways, back in the 1940s, 1950s Olympic eras? The Germans were feeding their troops meth, I don't see it being a far jump to pumping their athletes full of untested growth hormones.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:01 pm »

That's not a very good reason. You're committing the same fallacy people make when they argue that only men should be allowed in the military because they tend to be stronger.

You didn't understand what I was saying. I said that human war is not dependent on brute force and physical strength (how many troops engage in hand to hand combat these days?), so those qualities are nearly irrelevant. So therefore, women are just as qualified as men to be infantry.
Hand to hand combat is not the only situation where physical strength is important to a soldier. What about lifting your 200 lb wounded buddy and carrying them to safety? What about carrying very heavy equipment over rough terrain? Read the articles I posted a couple pages back.

If you can't do the physical part of the job, you don't get into the infantry.  Gender unimportant.

Are there really people out there that think women don't understand the risks they subject themselves to by joining the armed services and that they are incapable of seeing that they might get targeted for special mistreatment if captured?

If a female wants to join the military, and they are physically capable of doing the job and mentally capable of handling the training, then who the fork are you to say they shouldn't do it?

There will be fewer physically suitable females than males for infantry service because that's just how nature designed us.  Mentally, however, it's all a mix of personality, culture, and life experience.  There are plenty of females in this world who are rock hard both physically and mentally.  The only problems that exist with allowing females to serve however they are physically and mentally capable of serving are in the heads of people who don't see them as full human beings with a right to make their own decisions.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2011, 09:45:42 pm »

Well don't forget... how demanding is infantry to the extent that someone who honestly worked hard at it wouldn't be able to do so?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2011, 09:52:43 pm »

Well don't forget... how demanding is infantry to the extent that someone who honestly worked hard at it wouldn't be able to do so?

There are people who simply can't shoot well enough, or are so uncoordinated they can't manage the obstacle courses.  There are simple size issues.  A 40 kilo / 88 lb person of either sex simply isn't carrying full ruck on a 20KM cross country march unless they are some sort of friggin mutant.  Very few people under 5 foot tall are going to manage to be both strong enough to carry full ruck and fast enough to pass the PT test.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:46 pm »

And that's able to be sorted out by separated platoons.
That's segregation.
Why yes, it is. Are you going to go protest the fact that you can't share any given bathroom with the opposite sex now?

So there aren't skinny, 170 pnd males in the military then? They're all ripped at 220 and drag gun emplacements around with their bare hands?
Another reason I'm not going to get into the military, even if I wanted to. Apparently people almost one and a half times my weight are skinny. Speaking of which, what of the physical requirements asides from the training? If I recall, I remember reading that I can't be drafted because of my 'underweight' BMI and some other various measurements. I may be wrong, but I may have read a height requirement. BMI isn't very accurate, but it's what the army uses. Women (by virtue of their anatomy) frequently have a lower BMI on average, even if they have the same proportional muscle mass as a man. Should there be double different standards?

Also. Hair. Presumably everyone still has to comply to the hair regulations, yes?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26