Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22912 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »

Either segregation or lying...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »

Theres no answer to everything anymore >_>

Its always going to be a grey area, hell the russians were able to pull it off but then they were behind a reason at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »

It might be a good first step, though.  It could help demonstrate that women are capable of serving the army, which would hopefully lead to a change in attitudes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2011, 04:30:33 pm »

And that's able to be sorted out by separated platoons.
Thats segregation.

Segregation much like how we have separate bathrooms for men and women? And women's jewelry and men's jewelry, and so on?
Correct me if I'm missing something because I really hope I am.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:32:29 pm by freeformschooler »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2011, 04:55:45 pm »

It might be a good first step, though.  It could help demonstrate that women are capable of serving the army, which would hopefully lead to a change in attitudes.

This theoretically already happened during WWII, though...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »

Yeah that... ok if your army cannot enforce a "no rape" policy on his female element, don't send it abroad. You will have trouble with the population. Think of ... every last american operation that had regular troops on the ground.
Maybe it's a media thing, but I'm under the impression that of all nato army, the American is the one with the most rape problems.
Maybe introducing women in the military may solve it (in the long term).

This isn't a thread to talk about your anti-American agenda.

And that's able to be sorted out by separated platoons.
Thats segregation.

But in this case, would segregation be detrimental?

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:29 pm »

I suppose I don't have any significant objections to women in the military, with the condition that they meet the the same physical standards as men. This will mean that fewer women will get to join, but I do not care. A soldier should be a soldier, and all should be able to meet the minimum requirements.

To those who are claiming for some reason that women are physically just as strong as men, this is just plain untrue. Men are stronger on average and have a much greater capacity for strength.

To those who are claiming that strength is unimportant to a modern soldier, I present the following articles, written by members of the military.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/combat_worst_case_whittemore.pdf
http://startingstrength.com/articles/army_weak_long.pdf

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2011, 05:30:15 pm »

To me, if anyone got shot, and they were still alive, I would try to save them.. Be it man or woman.

And then the sniper gets you. And if I were a snake-eating pants-shitter, I'd target the women in the enemy unit, preferably in the legs, while they were crossing an open area.

Then you would be silly.  You target the officers, NCO's, radio holders, map holders, or the enemies with pistols if nothing else.  The ones that know the plans and give the orders.  Most women who can meet the physical requirements for infantry work aren't going to look very feminine in full battle dress and light ballistic armor with the stress of battle movements written across their faces.  Sure, you might get lucky and ID a couple, but in the meantime the other 25 members of that platoon (with their NCOs and officers intact) are going to be eating your position for lunch.

G.I. Janet is still bleeding out in the street and the LiveLeak video is starting to fly around network news. And don't suggest a sniper can't spot the woman in a squad. They can tell if you shaved that morning.

Women will be singled out by an OPFOR for death or mistreatment simply because of their gender. It makes little sense to send some infantrymen into combat in camoflague and others wearing "shoot, abuse and torture me" signs. While the risks accepted by all-male infantry units are fairly even across the board (officers or operators of particularly hated weapons are mistreated in some conflicts), as the enemy is not always so civil and respectful towards women, there needs to be a better reason than simple gender politics to justify their extraordinary endangerment. Shortages of military-aged males for service prompted both Germany and the USSR to put women into air defense roles, and Soviet female pilots (romanticised and propagandized in their effectiveness) flew night-time harassment bombing. But neither country, even with men as old as 60 taking up arms, put women into integrated front line infantry units. The Soviets attempted all-female units and found them a disaster, the Germans were too busy trying to evacuate their civilians west of the rapine-happy Red Army to consider it. And if the two most totalitarian societies locked in the most total war in history did not suppose they had enough of a reason to integrate women into the infantry, what reason do we have?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »

So men are free to sign away their lives to the military, but the precious fragile females, they aren't free to make the choice to put their lives at extraordinary risk, for their countries?

That reeks of benevolent sexism. Any woman considering signing up for infantry combat has enough presence of mind to realize what happens to women in combat zones. That's a choice she should be free to make, at the very least. If you want to debate what happens in draft conditions, feel free. But like most things, even allowing women to make the choice for themselves, instead of having some thick-necked dude tell her what's whats for her own good, is the whole damn point of gender equality.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:34:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:53 pm »

Balaclavas to hide any facial features that might give a soldier away.

And using Totalitarian regimes as an example isn't going to be effective. They just do what they want.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2011, 05:34:03 pm »

So men are free to sign away their lives to the military, but the precious fragile females, they aren't free to make the choice to put their lives at extraordinary risk, for their countries?

That reeks of benevolent sexism.

They can fight better. Its a better decision not sexism.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »

I think shooting a gun isn't something that men are always better at.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »

Sort of like how all people's debating skills aren't born equal, yet they all get to post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »

[CITATION NEEDED]
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:51 pm »

I think shooting a gun isn't something that men are always better at.

You have an unrealistic view on modern warfare, my lad.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26