Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22905 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2011, 01:30:17 pm »

haha, yeah, rape only happen to women, because you know, there is no gays in the enemy army, and raping a men isn't a good way to ruin his self esteem. Actually, aren't a few people in trouble for their questionable treatment of Iraqi prisoners, complete with sodomy?

Edit: ho yes, and actually you don't have to be gay (ie feel an appeal in men for loving matters) to rape men.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:33:09 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2011, 01:35:30 pm »

Well, there is much less men-raping than women-raping....

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »

Almost neglible, I dare say.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:40:23 pm by Mindmaker »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2011, 01:48:53 pm »

Wouldn't men be even less likely to report rape?  Even bigger manly stigma?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

Male on male rape has historically been shrouded in secrecy due to the stigma men associate with being raped by other men. According to psychologist Dr Sarah Crome fewer than one in ten male-male rapes are reported. As a group, male rape victims reported a lack of services and support, and legal systems are often ill equipped to deal with this type of crime.
Quote from wikipedia.

Rape is a common form of abuse and I expect it to be widely used against men. It is in American prisons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rape

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »

To me, if anyone got shot, and they were still alive, I would try to save them.. Be it man or woman.

And then the sniper gets you. And if I were a snake-eating pants-shitter, I'd target the women in the enemy unit, preferably in the legs, while they were crossing an open area.

Then you would be silly.  You target the officers, NCO's, radio holders, map holders, or the enemies with pistols if nothing else.  The ones that know the plans and give the orders.  Most women who can meet the physical requirements for infantry work aren't going to look very feminine in full battle dress and light ballistic armor with the stress of battle movements written across their faces.  Sure, you might get lucky and ID a couple, but in the meantime the other 25 members of that platoon (with their NCOs and officers intact) are going to be eating your position for lunch.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »

Edit: ho yes, and actually you don't have to be gay (ie feel an appeal in men for loving matters) to rape men.

... The topic was women in the infantry, not gays in the infantry or men being raped in the infantry, or homosexual attraction in men raping men.  Rape culture refers to rape in general, not only rape of women.  It even--gasp--covers women raping men.

However, as far as I know rape is still overwhelmingly a women's problem.  If that's not the case, and it's just a societal problem... well, then, that's good to know.  But frankly, I don't know what your statement that men get raped too has to do with the topic at hand.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2011, 03:19:14 pm »

Just like the abortion thread, this too has segued into rape.

Why am I not surprised?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:40:16 pm by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2011, 03:35:49 pm »

Don't all go berserk about it. It's just that "ho noes women cannot join the military else they get raped should they be made prisoner is a lousy argument".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2011, 03:37:19 pm »

From what we've read on the thread... I don't think it's "when they're taken prisoner" that we're worried about.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2011, 03:50:11 pm »

Yeah that... ok if your army cannot enforce a "no rape" policy on his female element, don't send it abroad. You will have trouble with the population. Think of ... every last american operation that had regular troops on the ground.
Maybe it's a media thing, but I'm under the impression that of all nato army, the American is the one with the most rape problems.
Maybe introducing women in the military may solve it (in the long term).

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »

Ok so back to OP, whats the problem letting women into the army, i wouldn't care any less as long they can do their jobs.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »

Women can already do just about every job in the army, with the exception of a very small number of combat arms jobs (infantry, armor, cav scout are the only ones that come to mind). I am against the inclusion of women for the reasons I stated waaay back in this thread.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

And that's able to be sorted out by separated platoons.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »

And that's able to be sorted out by separated platoons.
Thats segregation.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26