Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22946 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2011, 08:35:24 am »

And sharing showers/tents will increase that how?
Y'know... giving extremely easy opportunities for rape all the time?  Possibly forcing someone to stay in the same tent as their rapist?  It's not for nothing that the women in these stories try to avoid the bathrooms as much as possible.

men and women in the army should be capable of sharing facilities.
I completely agree.  But apparently they aren't.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2011, 08:46:38 am »

the UK trialed female frontline combatants a few years ago. Women were found to be combat capable, but similar to the isrealie example mentioned a few pages back there were issues. If a female solider got injured all the men would stop to help, and it couldnt be drilled out of them, so they found over all combat effectivness was reduced. Essentially British line infantry were considered too gentlemanly.

Too gentlemanly? The UK army? It's about the rudest entity on earth, excepting perhaps scottish oil rig engineers. They don't speak unless it can be formulated into a racist and/or sexist joke somehow. I can see their machismo troubled by letting women join up.

There aren't any restrictions to who can sign up for what in our (ie Norwegian) military, and about 10% across all branches are women, including infantry units deployed to combat zones (Afghanistan). Never heard any big fuss about it. We had a few female NCOs and officers in our unit when I was in, The NCOs were tougher than their male colleagues, as they tend to overcompensate a bit. It's not hard to build both a men's and women's shower in a barracks, and in the field there aren't any facilities anyway.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:19 am »

the UK trialed female frontline combatants a few years ago. Women were found to be combat capable, but similar to the isrealie example mentioned a few pages back there were issues. If a female solider got injured all the men would stop to help, and it couldnt be drilled out of them, so they found over all combat effectivness was reduced. Essentially British line infantry were considered too gentlemanly.
Aside from the apparent unfairness of this ("Some else is screwing up, sorry, you'll have to go") this would seem to necessitate the removal of women from any job in which they could conceivably get injured.  No female police officers, firefighters...

fortunately the armed forces aren't really interested in fairness. There are plenty of women in the British police, even the riot police, possibly they are better disiplined than the army. The airforce and navy take women (though im not sure about women pilots). Ive never met a female fireman, but i think they are allowed, or a female lifeboat crew member.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2011, 10:01:43 am »

Except that's exactly what Urist was arguing in that quote.  "Women are too emotional to be allowed in the army" isn't too different from "Women are too emotional to be allowed the vote".

This is just simply untrue. Nowhere did I state this. I said that increased estrogen made women more emotional. And while on this subject I'd have to state that testosterone doesn't turn people into apes who try to run up and batter the enemy to death. It increases aggressiveness.

I've never met a female fireman, but I think they are allowed, or a female lifeboat crew member.

I would like to state that when Americans tried to put in mix gender firefighters they had to lower the standards.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14:28 am »

Except that's exactly what Urist was arguing in that quote.  "Women are too emotional to be allowed in the army" isn't too different from "Women are too emotional to be allowed the vote".

This is just simply untrue. Nowhere did I state this. I said that increased estrogen made women more emotional. And while on this subject I'd have to state that testosterone doesn't turn people into apes who try to run up and batter the enemy to death. It increases aggressiveness.

I've never met a female fireman, but I think they are allowed, or a female lifeboat crew member.

I would like to state that when Americans tried to put in mix gender firefighters they had to lower the standards.
Uhm... last I checked, running up and battering the enemy to death is a lot more aggressive than pulling out a pistol and putting lead between his eyes. Also, a more aggressive person is more likely to do something stupid and get lead between their own eyes, thus making them a helluva lot less useful. So I'd rather have a soldier that cries with every bullet they shoot and has the sense to hide behind a sandbag wall than a soldier who doesn't cry at all because he got really aggressive, tried to stay up for a few more minutes to really teach those guys a lesson, and got shot himself.

Oh, and if you could throw in a reference for the mixed firefighters group having lower standards, that'd be good.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:48 am »

I am skipping in from page 4. The term "weaker sex" is not entirely, or even mostly, about physical strength. It also carries the connotation of reduced mental faculty, emotional fortitude and preservation in the face of challenge and suffering. IT IS WRONG.

Even males advantage in "strength" is a not entirely accurate. Compare a man and woman with equal muscle mass and it will be much less clear who has the advantage. The ability to gain and retain muscle mass and ability to give birth are pretty much the only areas where there is any significant advantage/disadvantage between the sexes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2011, 10:36:40 am »

fortunately the armed forces aren't really interested in fairness. There are plenty of women in the British police, even the riot police, possibly they are better disiplined than the army. The airforce and navy take women (though im not sure about women pilots). Ive never met a female fireman, but i think they are allowed, or a female lifeboat crew member.
Ah, but remember, men cannot ever be trained to not help an injured female colleague.  We'll just have to get rid of our 40,000 or so female police officers.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2011, 10:40:45 am »

[Citation needed]
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:27 am »

[Citation needed]
[1]... wait, nope.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:07 am »

[Citation needed]
[1]... wait, nope.
There ya go.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:37 am »

[Citation needed]
[1]... wait, nope.
There ya go.
Ah. Thank you!
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:32 am »

I don't know about you guys, but I'd have a really hard time watching any squad-mate bleed out, regardless of gender.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2011, 11:01:25 am »

To me, if anyone got shot, and they were still alive, I would try to save them.. Be it man or woman.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2011, 11:13:34 am »

I don't know about you guys, but I'd have a really hard time watching any squad-mate bleed out, regardless of gender.

Agreed.
I know my gut reaction to seeing someone in harms way would be to something stupid, it feels like its just human nature.
Thank you based dwarf.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2011, 11:13:52 am »

Meh, the whole issue is that military is still very macho.
The only people that are against it is those who think women are the "weaker sex" (read inferior) and don't want to sully their beloved military with them.

Tsahal is one of the strongest army on earth and they had no problem including women in their rank.
Likewise, I really wouldn't want to fight a female commando.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israeli_Defense_Forces
Ok physical difference... would only be relevant is the strongest women was weaker than the requirement for being effective in combat. So no, it's not relevant.

Logistic problem... ok, I get it, two row of shower must be an insolvable problem for US military. wow, how have every other societies, company, school, ... managed to solve these problems. I really don't know... must be magic.

Ho no, wait the women will be taken hostage so that the men get killed when they run to help them. Well given that you'll lose the idiot who are not able to understand that they have to do their work , not to play hero by saving the "feeble damsel in distress", I'd say it's a good thing.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26